Mt Coot-tha Forest - Mountain bikes eroding bush zone

MrPlow

TMBC
Mugger said:
Maybe if someone write a letter to the lord mayor and get all brisbane users on this site to sign it. THen there might be some action taken about these problems.
give this a go I say:)

dropbm

Likes Bikes
im not to up to date not this matter one ieda is if council want ot shut it down they will. why dont we start our own action group!!! every one esle does. when us locals in the redlands wanted a skate park cause we keeped get chased out of cleveland on the bmx s(we use to grind the chairs handrails leges build jumps over the gardens)we got together and made a skate park comitte it work we now get new stuff at the parks every now and then the rules were we had to ride the skate park not the streets if we were caught they took our bikes of us much like the anti hoon laws. the park had a 12 month probation time the riders, comitte members and council had a meeting at the park 1 a month we told the concil of problems and ideas matince issues and most of the time some thing was done 8 years later the parks are still there. small comprimses were made for every one but at lest we have some were to ride. mayby we could doe some thing like this.

as a downhiller i dont want to lose mt cootha it is to good i work at the tv stations and on one ther has any problems with us

Glenn

Likes Dirt
just added an assignment i did concerning mountain bikers in Mt Coot-tha reserve, it in the gerneral MTB section...for any one interested or concerned for riding in Mt Coot-tha

What a load of Bull!
I am willing to pay fees and if the government doesn't want to maintain the tracks local riders should do working bees to fix and maintian tracks.
:evil:

Glenn

Likes Dirt
i think most riders would, but you need to be supervised by some one in the BBC, ranger for example when maintaining...the idea of paying a fee is mentioned in my assignment, i meen if we know its going to wards improvements of 'our' trails and maintaince so it was in good condition to ride most of the time it would work...

Instinctual

Likes Bikes
Perhaps the council should devise maintenance plans for bikers.

They can get erosion experts to draw diagrams and give tips on how to build and maintain the sort of tracks we want to ride, and distribute them. This way we can have tracks that people aren't going to bitch about. hundreds and hundreds of people use tracks like ch10, and a lot of them are quite keen to keep them running, and keep them running well. These people underestimate how much initiative MTBers have. We'll dig for hours if it means we get a good track. I've spent the last 5 or so weekends building a kickass dirtjump in my backyard, just for one example.

Surely there are ways of bracing berms, jumps, dropoffs, and any other sort of course obstacle that will limit erosion. Even if we were educated about how we could improve drainage around these areas, and also the most used straight runs, we could cut erosion by an incredible amount.

People seem to forget that keeping the tracks in good nick is in our best interests also. We want to keep our tracks the way they are, not giant barely-ridable dustpits. A few tracks at blackstone spring to mind.

Also, I think some people need to be re-educated about how to brake properly. You see some people riding down these tracks with a huge cloud of dust behind them. Locking up your brakes is not necessary people!

edit: This is the sort of guideline that should be endorsed and distributed by parks and wildlife, the council, and other major public landowners.

/end rant.