NSW Mt Keira - general track maintanence and changes discussion.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
what about a protest at the track? if we can get all the riders in the Illawarra to come up to the track and ride . it would kinda be like a show of force that we are serious and were not gonna move.
We obviously don't need to do any such thing when we don't have any information yet... or know what's going on.

lachie.g

Likes Dirt
It shits me all this talk on the news about obesity and young people should be getting out and being more active not sitting at home playing playstation and alike, but then councils and national parks go and start shutting down the very thing that is keeping these young people active .
agreed, if natos rode up there then they would understand our love with the sport a conclusion for a national park ranger: fun police

wonky1

Likes Bikes
Just sit and wait and see what happens, people will either start to get fined and the track will get shut down or they are just talking shit, which i doubt. I am more worried about getting a fine in the mail. Its all good riding past them on the trail but for us doin shuttles we have a thing called a number plate. If i saw moto cops on the trail i would shit, probs to your mate for getting away. I heard a few months back they were doing a blitz on moto's on the escarpment using trailbikes, 4wd's and a helicopter so maybe we have been caught up in this. Correct me if im wrong......

MawReece

Banned
I also think all teenagers are generalized as kids on bikes. they see us as the same people that sit at the bowl all day while smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol and then going around the streets tag peoples shops. they are seeing BMX riders and MTBer's as the same group. of course not all BMX riders are like that.

what about a protest at the track? if we can get all the riders in the Illawarra to come up to the track and ride . it would kinda be like a show of force that we are serious and were not gonna move.
LIEK WAOH. UMUST B RELY MAD BOWT DIS YAH?//.

powermutant

Likes Dirt
on saturday arvo my mate got chased down the fire trail and then down the uni track by moto cops. they were sitting on the fire trail waiting.
???

Riding FT in NSW national park is not an offence unless it is a designated 'wilderness area' ie. some areas of the snowies.

motox199

Likes Dirt
Seriously, how are they going to catch you if you just ride off when they try and fine you.
Who cares about what kind of a reputation it gives you, no-one wants a fine, and I'd understand if you just rode off.
NPWS are tossers. Most of them jsut mistake up for being just as bad to the environment of motos, and that gives me the shits, because it assosciated us with rev heads who polute the environment and put foot-deep holes in the ground.

I really think we need to reach an agreement with these guys, because I don't think it will make the situation better for anyone if they just "shut the tracks down".
Trying to out run them won't help your case mate, and i can't see you having much hope of coming to an agreement about the land if you do so. The same thing happened to the moto riders up behind the possums tracks / Mt Ousley. After 100's of idiots like yourself trying to out run the police trailbike boys (bunch of blokes in blue on yellow DRZ400's), they started calling in helicopters and 4WD's. The choppers could fly overhead, and tell the blokes on the motos where the exits are, and the riders had no chance.
Despite what you may think, the police aren't stupid, they know the tracks very well and have some skills on a moto.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
It's just out of control. It's been like this for ages though.

I lived in the gong for the last six years and two mates of mine (about two years ago now) were scoping some bush on foot up at the intersection at the top of the escarpment near the picton road turn off with their bikes still in the back of the ute. They got out and were looking around for a trailhead they heard about (which ended up not even being there) and were approached by two rangers who took all their details and contacted the police, who in turn fined them and they had to go to court to finalise the matter and each of them had to pay a hefty fine.

These were two guys who were on foot with their helmets in hand and wearing gloves, that's what gave them away as MTB'ers, no bikes though as they were still in the car. But the rangers fined them for being 'cyclists on Sydney waterboard land'. The Rangers were quite forceful in not letting them go until the police arrived because, as you can imagine my mates became quite irate and vocal at this farcical comedy of legal vomit that was coming from the Rangers.
It seems as though you don't even need to be on a bike to be fined. You just need to be a cyclist.

Scotty-Robbo

Likes Dirt
Hey, just wondering if they have been at the track throughout this week,if they haven't and their there tomorrow, looks like they mean business then. Just have to wait and see

nskz

Likes Dirt
It's just out of control. It's been like this for ages though.

I lived in the gong for the last six years and two mates of mine (about two years ago now) were scoping some bush on foot up at the intersection at the top of the escarpment near the picton road turn off with their bikes still in the back of the ute. They got out and were looking around for a trailhead they heard about (which ended up not even being there) and were approached by two rangers who took all their details and contacted the police, who in turn fined them and they had to go to court to finalise the matter and each of them had to pay a hefty fine.

These were two guys who were on foot with their helmets in hand and wearing gloves, that's what gave them away as MTB'ers, no bikes though as they were still in the car. But the rangers fined them for being 'cyclists on Sydney waterboard land'. The Rangers were quite forceful in not letting them go until the police arrived because, as you can imagine my mates became quite irate and vocal at this farcical comedy of legal vomit that was coming from the Rangers.
It seems as though you don't even need to be on a bike to be fined. You just need to be a cyclist.
When it comes to 'catchment area' make no mistake they are SUPER serious about it and honestly I tend to agree, after all it is our drinking supply. I do think though, regarding some of the spots that are designated catchment area around the top of mt Keira they are taking the piss.

Last edited:

powermutant

Likes Dirt
When it comes to 'catchment area' make no mistake they are SUPER serious about it and honestly I tend to agree, after all it is our drinking supply. I do think though, regarding some of the spots that are designated catchment area around the top of mt Keira they are taking the piss.
Indeed, cyclist or not they are strict about exclusion. Personally, I disagree on the recreation restrictions and the reasons ofteng given for exclusion. On the up-side there seems to be a slow loosening of the draconinan measures, ala mid-mountains water catchment.

zanus

Likes Dirt
Alright, heard this from 83AST's father. May have some relevence.

"If the driver is giving shuttles to the rider, drops him off the top, he can tell the police that he had no intention of having his son/friend ride down the track. They therefore cannot do anything, and if they do use force, there is the option of sueing."

So, the driver cannot be fined or arrested for doing this, so therefore there is no harm for them. Likewise, he also mentioned that rangers and police cannot touch or lay hands on anyone under 18 for being up the trails.

But personallly, i believe this bullshit is getting outta hand.
We can just rebuild elsewhere, ride other places and such. But these trails that we move to are also on land owned by BHP, Waterboard, ect.

What to do? My opinion, throw a party outside the council offices. And then vomit, all over the buildings. :p

Luke_99

Likes Dirt
The step down and big drop is gone as many may know. The step down is still doable tho just got to pop up a bit and go a little faster.
Although reckon you guys should leave the step down how it is, it could do with a tad more lip and it will be sweet.
By the way i didn't see any rangers up there today.

Last edited:

lachie.g

Likes Dirt
The step down and big drop is gone as many may know. The step down is still doable tho just got to pop up a bit and go a little faster.
Although reckon you guys should leave the step down how it is, it could do with a tad more lip and it will be sweet.
By the way i didn't see any rangers up there today.
what about the small stepdown? anything wronng with that?

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Guys, I'm about to ring up the regional director for NPWS and ask what the fuck is going on.
We need answers, especially seeing as these "rangers" aren't working on a lot of what aint there turf.
As far as I'm aware, the second half is actualy owned by NRE, as I talked to a relative a couple of months ago who is pretty highly ranked in the company, and he said that they own a bit of land up there.
Top half is definately state praks, but the bottom half, as far as I know isn't.
I shall post up with answers as soon as I finish calling.

*EDIT* Just called up, Ian, the manager of the Wollongong Ranger Station is out at the moment (probably running a muck up at Keira), so I left my details with him, and he will be calling me back later.
If you have requests of things to ask (be sensible please), I will be sure to ask away.

Last edited:

dh1

Likes Dirt
Guys, I'm about to ring up the regional director for NPWS and ask what the fuck is going on.
We need answers, especially seeing as these "rangers" aren't working on a lot of what aint there turf.
As far as I'm aware, the second half is actualy owned by NRE, as I talked to a relative a couple of months ago who is pretty highly ranked in the company, and he said that they own a bit of land up there.
Top half is definately state praks, but the bottom half, as far as I know isn't.
I shall post up with answers as soon as I finish calling.

*EDIT* Just called up, Ian, the manager of the Wollongong Ranger Station is out at the moment (probably running a muck up at Keira), so I left my details with him, and he will be calling me back later.
If you have requests of things to ask (be sensible please), I will be sure to ask away.
tred carefully here as things could go really sour. you don't want to come off as a smart arse teenager (im not saying you are) but that is probably what he will think first up. if you want to get anywhere with them then you need show him the opposite.

rather then just a phone conversation maybe reccomend that you meet at the trails and even have a wonder around and a proper friendly conversation. He can tell you and show you his concerns and you can tell him and show him yours/ours, whether or not it is not land for them to be patrolling