NSW Mt Keira - general track maintanence and changes discussion.

lachie.g

Likes Dirt
I reckon we should make a petition send it to council and if they approve have a fundraiser of some sort to fund the building of everything e.g don't build shitty jumps which will get wrecked after a while properly build everything so that way its safer, and don't let booners do dumb shit which they will get hurt by doing
Lachie

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media

sslam60

limited brainpower
I am Ty's Dad (ED)

as usual Ty is full of shit

I have spoke to Ian and then to Ty!

Nat Parks want to place closed and Ty knows that

TY is misleading everyone

I have told my son Ty that you are riding on government land and that as such you are all trespassing

Ty is an idiot being palmed off to council

But of course Ty has a big mouth with huff & puff but Ty does not listen!

HE can meet with as many people as he likes but the upshot is that Mt Keira is an illegal track, as I said to Ty it is upsetting bushwalkers and others

But as usual Ty doesn't listen, cause Ty is all about Ty
Do you ride a Mountain bike?

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I reckon we should make a petition send it to council and if they approve have a fundraiser of some sort to fund the building of everything e.g don't build shitty jumps which will get wrecked after a while properly build everything so that way its safer, and don't let booners do dumb shit which they will get hurt by doing
Lachie
Good idea to have a fundraiser. It helps the bikers get in touch with the general public too and present a good face and good word for the sport.
It also helps spread the positive word.
If you have a valid cause you can get access to the tent outside Bunnings and do a sausage sizzle. Sounds crap I know but the amount of people that buy those little buggers on a Saturday in insane. You may only make $1,000, but it's only about four hours work.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I'm going to write a letter to council and natos about tho whole legalization thing
If so, make sure that your information is well researched and your facts are straight.
It's great to be passionate, but a letter penned in anger or frustration can be like a misguided bullet and do more damage than good.
I support your voice and your intention, but for the best results just make sure that you address the criteria that the council sees as the problem rather than simply making requests or demands.

In the Councils eyes, every letter you write represents the mountain biking community as a whole, not just your voice.

A good point though. I also would be interested in knowing the legislation involved.

Last edited:

lachie.g

Likes Dirt
Good idea to have a fundraiser. It helps the bikers get in touch with the general public too and present a good face and good word for the sport.
If you have a valid cause you can get access to the tent outside Bunnings and do a sausage sizzle. Sounds crap I know but the amount of people that buy those little buggers on a Saturday in insane. You may only make $1,000, but it's only about four hours work.
Yer that and maybe buntings or another hardware store maybe able to sponsor us, and while we are doing this fundraiser have a petition fo people to sign so they have there own input into this wholething. Baisicly a view from the public

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Yer that and maybe buntings or another hardware store maybe able to sponsor us, and while we are doing this fundraiser have a petition fo people to sign so they have there own input into this wholething. Baisicly a view from the public
A perfect opportunity to add names to a petition.
And if you can be the general publics first point of contact it really gives you AND the cause an advantage, rather than a member of the general public first hearing about it via a negatively biased view from an article in the Illawarra Mercury.

*edit* Sponsorship is very tricky, and it generally involves some legal advice and contract terms negotiated between the parties. Something that is a long way down the track if that is an area you are willing to invest some time in. The best and easiest sponsors to get on board are LBS's, or Tourism. They will not inject funds so much, but they are more like business petiton signers.

Last edited:

nskz

Likes Dirt
I'm going to write a letter to council and natos about tho whole legalization thing
First thing is first, as harmonix1234 said get a committee together, there is no point 10 different people randomly shooting off letters to council etal. You need a coordinated, measured and professional approach if you want anything to happen. Also as I said before i'd talk to the WMBC to get a baseline for this type of action; I'm sure they've been there before at least once. No point doing anything without at least talking to them in my opinion as council will ask the question.

lachie.g

Likes Dirt
First thing is first, as harmonix1234 said get a committee together, there is no point 10 different people randomly shooting off letters to council etal. You need a coordinated, measured and professional approach if you want anything to happen. Also as I said before i'd talk to the WMBC to get a baseline for this type of action; I'm sure they've been there before at least once. No point doing anything without at least talking to them in my opinion as council will ask the question.
Yes I will post what I wrot up before I lick the envelope

Sam.

Eats Squid
From what I can understand, like most Wollongong threads this is another shitfight. From my very limited legal knowledge via HSC legal studies, this is how I see it:

Riding on National Parks land involves voluntary assumption of risk. Basically, its defined as the following: the notional acceptance of the hazard or danger associated with an activity by accepting, following or otherwise doing or attempting to do such activities.

So basically, we have no possible way to sue parks for injuring ourselves on parks land. As far as I know, this renders their argument useless and basically, its our own stupid fault for injuring ourselves whilst riding our bikes there. They claim erosion is an issue, I've seen dears do more damage then the tyres of a mountain bike rider, its the clearing of the tracks that really was the issue. Single track, which Keira was until kids with shovels came is quite easily built into a sustainable manner, which can actually minimise erosion in comparison to leaving the hill bare.

We need knowledgeable people to front this argument, and I love your passion Ty, but I think we need a face with a little bit more life experience and knowledge to lead the way in the argument for sustainable trail development at Keira. Either way, the way the tracks were headed needed to be stopped and this might be a wake up call for us all. The solution isn't to cut a new line in each week, we should be looking to maintain one line as best as possible, and to be able to cope with the amount of traffic that Keira does get, though by now this may be a lost cause.

lachie.g

Likes Dirt
yes no tracks going of to nowhere, no pointless shit jumps with a big hole in the side of the track, in areas which look like they are eroded try to stop it somehow and just common sense

Sam.

Eats Squid
It's not a matter of building tracks that go to no where, its not a matter of holes on the side of tracks, or building in an area that looks eroded, its building new tracks in the first place with complete disregard to maintenance of other lines that's the issue. In reality, some areas may be eroded yes, but seriously, hacking half the vegetation off the hill is hardly going to help the embankment stay stable.

The key really is educating ourselves in sustainable trail building and maintenance, and in inconspicuous ways that don't draw attention to ourselves. Really guys, we have been told time and time again what was going to happen and now it is. We need to wake up to ourselves, see what's happening and realise that we need to move forward, not start conflict. The term borrowed time has been thrown around loosely for a while, and now it seems that time is up.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
That does sound like a good idea, as soon as we get a committee going we should consider that.

Chris (nskz), I would be glad to help set up a committe in conjuction with WMTBC. Tell me what you can get.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
It's not a matter of building tracks that go to no where, its not a matter of holes on the side of tracks, or building in an area that looks eroded, its building new tracks in the first place with complete disregard to maintenance of other lines that's the issue. In reality, some areas may be eroded yes, but seriously, hacking half the vegetation off the hill is hardly going to help the embankment stay stable.

The key really is educating ourselves in sustainable trail building and maintenance, and in inconspicuous ways that don't draw attention to ourselves. Really guys, we have been told time and time again what was going to happen and now it is. We need to wake up to ourselves, see what's happening and realise that we need to move forward, not start conflict. The term borrowed time has been thrown around loosely for a while, and now it seems that time is up.
Does this mean that even if there was a proper plan in place, with approval and gov funding, people would still go up to Keira and dig up their own un-sustainable lines?

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
That does sound like a good idea, as soon as we get a committee going we should consider that.

Chris (nskz), I would be glad to help set up a committe in conjuction with WMTBC. Tell me what you can get.
At least it might be enough for everybody in the committee to get their IMBA memberships. It's a start.

Dobbo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From what I have heard/read, WMTBC seems to be more XC based, and that they pretty much have their hands full just trying to get enough volunteers for Appin.

I am sure I also saw a thread in which Scott was talking about WMTBC getting involved with Possums or one of the tracks up North, so that will also take more of their time. You might need to be a sub group within WMTBC in support of a central Wollongong area track.

One thing is for sure, don't think it is going to be easy. Greenvalleys has been at it for a while now, and the long term plan is in years not months. So it will be a few years of hard work before you get what you are looking for.

That being said, I admire your passion, good luck with it, and I would be happy to sign or write when needed.

Edit: Make sure you learn how to spell and use some punctuation. Writing a letter using the language and writing on here will get it put in the bin. Invest in a dictionary.

zanus

Likes Dirt
Alright. Everyone has their own reasoned arguments. Sam, Yes, the law may state such and such about that, but some stupid retard like me will get himself will get hurt, but unlike me, will always seek to blame someone. Ty, yes, this comittee sounds like a great idea, but i can see it full of people our age and such. Not the Best place to start. And nothing from WMBC has come up at possums. With the amount of XC riders that come down there, i dont believe any attention from WMBC would borderline being benficial.We do not have our hands full up at possums, im sure luke could elaborate on this, but Possums is as good as its going to get. I think your idea of having this bike park is good, but will it turn over enough to keep it in business? And Ty's Dad, Obvious Troll is Obvious. Your son outdoes you.