MTB Apparel - What's most important?

Which 2 things are most important to you?

• Price

Votes: 31 56.4%
  • Looks

Votes: 25 45.5%
  • Brand names

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Durability

Votes: 32 58.2%
  • Safety (abrasion protection)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Australian made

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Being able to try before you buy

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Comfort

Votes: 16 29.1%

• Total voters

Flow-Rider

Burner
Unless there's something really special or unique about the product that can't be copied, I'll doubt it will be competitive with overseas suppliers. I watched the whole Australia made products go down the chute in the 80~90"s. It's sad to see but business can't compete against each other when one uses a product with a high premium on it and the other doesn't.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Yes, agree the Australian made aspect is a hard thing to achieve, particularly with clothing.

But it would definitely attract my attention in, as I said, a crowded marketplace.

slowmick

38-39"
Have a look at the ground effect website. NZ company that manufacturers locally. Their products are great but there is a huge price differential between them and some one like Fox in your favourite on line store. You need loyal customers to overcome that.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I rekon there is a gaping hole in the market for quality affordable cycling gear. Rather than saying what is 'most important' you could view it from a different behavioral model like the two factor theory.

Dissatisfiers: Must haves and if they don't have it then I won't even look further. Decent design. I prefer not to look like a knob and like plainer, subtle type designs. Quality, but no one bases purchasing decisions on this, they do based on their perception of it though.

Satisfiers: Price. Needs to be in a decent price range. If it's a new product and I am taking a punt then not going to fork out for it. If it's established and I am confident it meets my needs and expectations, happy to pay a bit more.

teK--

Eats Squid
If manufacturing locally you could stay reasonably competitive, by cutting out the retail middleman, and selling direct to customer.

For a brand which has good quality gear and styling/fit I would be happy to pay a little bit more to support local made. Until then, Dharco makes most of my gear.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Have a look at the ground effect website. NZ company that manufacturers locally. Their products are great but there is a huge price differential between them and some one like Fox in your favourite on line store. You need loyal customers to overcome that.
I've been riding with their stuff for a number of years...it's good gear, sized for normal people and provided you don't crash frequently...I've found it lasts quite a few years. Actually...the only thing of theirs I do have that has worn out is their (quite good) gloves.

As a company, they play well with customers in dealing with issues and returns. Well, they have with me...

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Oh yes. The 26inches.com cheerleaders are in that post too. San Andrea's 2.0 anyone............
Haha as a former owner of 26inches.com all I can say is good times being young and silly! But it all came out in the wash in the end and old mate still has his San Andreas bikes and rides them. As for Lab-Gear it became Eleven Velo, and now is Breathe Velo under new ownership.

Clothing, I buy whatever is on special and wear it until it can't be worn no more. I literally have worn the same pair of Netti Drop-In shorts (I have two copies) on every ride for the last 5 years and they still look pretty fresh. I rotate random nix underneath including the mesh ones they came with.

Despite pretty much only going for specials, I voted durability and comfort, on longer rides you can really tell when you have good gear.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Haha as a former owner of 26inches.com all I can say is good times being young and silly! But it all came out in the wash in the end and old mate still has his San Andreas bikes and rides them. As for Lab-Gear it became Eleven Velo, and now is Breathe Velo under new ownership.
Yep, I remember that one. Interesting times for you no doubt. Lab gear stuff seemed to be more towards Ground Effect than Netti. Good that he made a run on it though in hindsight.

Clothing, I buy whatever is on special and wear it until it can't be worn no more. I literally have worn the same pair of Netti Drop-In shorts (I have two copies) on every ride for the last 5 years and they still look pretty fresh. I rotate random nix underneath including the mesh ones they came with.

Despite pretty much only going for specials, I voted durability and comfort, on longer rides you can really tell when you have good gear.
Comfortable shorts is the big one and getting easier to find cheaper options of those these days, Maybe my butt is undiscerning.
It is fine to be uncomfortable if you look awesome though :)

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I've been riding with their stuff for a number of years...it's good gear, sized for normal people and provided you don't crash frequently...I've found it lasts quite a few years. Actually...the only thing of theirs I do have that has worn out is their (quite good) gloves.

As a company, they play well with customers in dealing with issues and returns. Well, they have with me...
Just checked out their website, I think I'll grab some of that. I've found it's difficult to get good baggies that don't sound like a bag of chips when you're walking around, so I'm happy to pay for something that's good and looks the part.
Jerseys are harder again. Finding something that doesn't end up stinking, feels like it breaths & is comfortable on the skin is seemingly next to impossible. Add durable to the list & I've got nothing. Maybe I'll try Ground Effect for that too...

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just checked out their website, I think I'll grab some of that. I've found it's difficult to get good baggies that don't sound like a bag of chips when you're walking around, so I'm happy to pay for something that's good and looks the part.
Jerseys are harder again. Finding something that doesn't end up stinking, feels like it breaths & is comfortable on the skin is seemingly next to impossible. Add durable to the list & I've got nothing. Maybe I'll try Ground Effect for that too...
Mons Royale.
Merino wool, but not the thick heavy style.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
ground effect website. NZ company that manufacturers locally.
Love their products but even they have stuff manufactured in Chyna.
Local manufacture is a pipedream unless our wages fall as Asia's rise and that isnt likely in the next 20 years.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
re starting a new MTB clothing business. do it because it's what you like doing, not necessarily because you plan to make millions of dollars from it, which, in all likelihood, you may not.
If you do get the biz going, IMO, the gear is going to have to be well made., as good or better than what people can already buy. especially if you want to slap a high price tag on it.
don't make the clothing out of some material that drapes well but tears like tissue paper when brushed by passing twigs.
do make a couple (eg one short sleeve, one long sleeve top. maybe a pair of trail shorts if feeling ambitious) of well cut serviceable pieces that wick well, and help the rider avoid looking like Barney the Beetrooter in the summer months due to overheating.

Be aware that many people wait for sales to buy mtb clothing, as RRP is usually a farking rip-off.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Local manufacture is a pipedream unless our wages fall as Asia's rise and that isnt likely in the next 20 years.
I don't actually understand this. I mean with apparel, the base cost even with aussie wages can't be that much in the overall scheme of things.

Lets say take a $100 jersey. How much of that could possibly be eaten up by labor costs? $20 vs $5 and that is an absolute mega stretch. I mean I get it the margin would be huge. But seriously if you really wanted to do it and was charging $100 for jerseys, it would be possible, no? Cycling jerseys are not that special compared to other clothes and the fabrics are probably cheaper.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I don't actually understand this. I mean with apparel, the base cost even with aussie wages can't be that much in the overall scheme of things.

Lets say take a $100 jersey. How much of that could possibly be eaten up by labor costs? $20 vs $5 and that is an absolute mega stretch. I mean I get it the margin would be huge. But seriously if you really wanted to do it and was charging $100 for jerseys, it would be possible, no? Cycling jerseys are not that special compared to other clothes and the fabrics are probably cheaper.
Yeah you are right that so much is a huge mark up so it can be discounted and appear cheap ; and packaging and advertising and IT and taxes [- not my field of expertise ] so why do they get it done in Asia?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

Factory rents, electricity bills, wages, superannuation, sick leave, annual leave, insurances, materials, etc... are all higher cost here and chop into that "mark-up" (ie: your profit margin) pretty quickly if trying to manufacture locally. I not saying don't try, but it's going to cost more and as much as most Aussies love to say they'd spend extra to buy local made, very few really do.

For a point of comparison, my bosses wife is Thai. When she started to apply for jobs here she had to ask him what annual leave was. She'd never heard of it before.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Love their products but even they have stuff manufactured in Chyna.
Had to pull out my Ground Effect rock lobster jersey, indeed it does say Made in Un Z

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I got some of the jerseys made locally in batches in custom colours from Eleven Velo before it was sold, thought I'd give old mate the benefit of the doubt. The XC one is very roadie in fit and short, and the casual style t-shirt one is very long, both were using their configurator thingy to choose size. The t-shirt one is lighter fabric and has been smashed by bugs that like to eat Merino. Well they don't like to eat Kathmandu base layer Merino in this case because I have a few in the same drawer that didn't get attacked. They both have too many holes to wear now. Nice Kathmandu made a Merino bike jersey, the synthetic ones are average.

The radical difference in length has been the main reason I only wore them a few times, neither is right. Hopefully they sorted the issues, that was a fair while ago and most reviews I saw were positive, well constructed is the only good thing I can say.

I mean, I wonder if old mate was still antsy at me and taking the piss despite me throwing down coin, these are meant to be the same size. We're back in touch a bit, should ask him.

@Mr Crudley Lab-Gear was definitely going for a Ground Effect vibe, then full bespoke with eleven, I think the new peeps have gone back to less bespoke.

All I'd say about starting something from my experience and what old mate told me is it's definitely not easy. Old mate makes t-shirts with his graphics on them now, bit easier than bespoke locally made riding kit. Some of them are ok but not my thing.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
The Ground Effect stuff I have does last for a long, long time. My Frosty Boy is still in great condition and I have had it for a long time.
The quality is there but the price tag is also.