MTB shoes

I prefer the following characteristics in an MTB shoe

• When clipped I want max stiffness for power transmission and improved platform on the pedals

• When clipped I want more stiffness then a flat shoe, but I’m not a roadie.

• When on flats I prefer stiffness to grip, but grip is still important. Walking is for whimps

• When on Flats I prefer max grip, but prefer to be able to walk when not pedalling.

• When on Flats I want max grip and moderate stiffness. Goldilocks

• I don’t wear shoes, the leather soles of my feet grip nice

Results are only viewable after voting.

Daniel Hale

Likes Bikes and Dirt
quik test of the ion raid on the macedon trials this morning,

sole is stiffer than the brandon seminuk’s, i would say ever so slightly more grip too, fairly close though.
sizing is fairly true, i’m normally so 45, these fit fine - plenty of room in toe for long feet
i really like the laces stayed up and tight for the whole ride, really good back ankle support, a little roomy for me across the ball of my foot but i did have thin-ish roadie style map socks on -so shouldn’t be a problem.
don’t hide dirt so well, the blue really stands out, i’ll see how they wipe clean later

overall fairly happy with them, needed a second pair & seem pretty good so far, like them just a little more than the etnies

The Duckmeister

Eats Squid
I'm not arsing around with reading the whole thread , so.... A stiffer sole better turns your whole foot into a pedal platform, as long as it's the right shape formyour foot..... A good shoe will be as stiff as a plank (or stiffer) but not feel like it, it just is , but you'll feel a bad shoe every moment you're wearing it. If you tend to get off & walk a bit, a slightly softer shoe, preferably with toe studs will be your best bet. A badly-shaped shoe (for your particular foot) will just feel like you're pedalling a crank with a plank bolted to each side. Softer soles + longer distances = sore feet/legs

moorey

Boom!
Grabbed Felix some Aften Keenans on sale to try.
He rates them really high. Says they’re as grippy as 5tens and a lot lighter, and just as comfy.