mums hate downhill

eatTrakWifFork

Likes Bikes
I am in my mid twenties. My mother hates the idea of me doing downhill as a sport. She was in tears tonight after she observed my limp. I did not tell her where I had been, did not describe my injury or even my accident. I understand that worrying for my safety is a very time consuming and largely difficult task for a mum, how can I make this easier for her?

Apparently there was a TV show about downhill injuries on 60minutes recently. I don't usually watch TV and did not see this segment, but that show I have noticed has such a conservative, incomplete one-sided view on the content they show, any comments?

Nathan_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i bought a neck barce and my mum was very encouraging fo me to do it actually

drives me every were which is oober awesome

nskz

Likes Dirt
^^ As above if you convey that you are partaking in the sport as safely as possible then that's all you can really do. Honestly though if your mum break into tears at the sight of you limping, and you're 25-ish, I really think you are going to have a difficult task ahead.

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My mum was pretty encouraging for me to DH. The only bit she wasn't to keen on was me going out and buying bikes, then her reminded her she has almost $20,000 in Triathlon bikes, she didn't winge about the price after that. :cool: :p

notso

Likes Dirt
I feel for you mate.
I'm 26 and my mum hates that I'm racing DH again... didn't help that i had a massive stack at Barjarg last year and was incapacitated for 3 weeks.
She's even rung my fiance to try and get her to talk me out of it.

I've invited her and my sis out to the Yangs race in a couple of weeks so they can get a better idea of what it is we do... education is the key i think... maybe I'll get her a DH rig :)

When you find something to make it easier on her let me know eh!

Staunch

Eats Squid
My mum can't stand to watch me do it, she never comes to any races and or rides but she understands that I love it and it's my choice to do it, if I get hurt it's my own fault.
As Nathan S said though if you convince her that you are being as safe as possible using body armour and etc.. then she would probably be more accepting, my mum hates it when I have to buy armour but atleast she knows that it's going to keep me from breaking myself.

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Yes, most mums hate it, and pretty much most forms of extreme sports, or what they picture as extreme sports, those being ones which you can die from doing..

Here's a tip I learned a while ago, if you need to tell your mum you're busted(body or by the law;)), don't do it on the phone, if you can wait that is..

..last time I made the call was when I got hit by a car, but miraculously survived with only grazes and fractured humerus at the shoulder joint (which I didn't know at the time of said call), it wasn't good.
I guess telling your mum you've been hit by a car is never going to bring out the best mental images anyway..

I'm sure she realizes that if I can live out of home and go to UNI/work on my own accord then I'm mature enough to decide what's good and bad for me, as well as take appropriate risks.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My mum understands that boys will be boys on moto bikes, and doesnt really mind that I ride MTB's which are probably safer.......

Dad on the otherhand reckons I need a FF to ride singletrack..........

madmanmark82

Likes Dirt
My mum loves it :D offers to take me shuttling comes to all my races,
Got a video camera to film it. She was the one that got me into it :eek: i wanted to get into motocross riding and i was watching downhill on tv one night and she said you should get into mtb riding. I told her it was 100x more danger then moto cross but she didnt belive me. Then about 1 month later i thought i might be pretty fun and got into it. Then first time she came out to watch was illinbah with the old aline, she walked up to it then shat her self (so did i) but after that shes been realy supportive.

Viv92

Eats Squid
Stop her watching 60minutes and any other commercial station current affairs show. They are the biggest steming piles of crap ever that just turn people in to paranoid idiots.

woody 14

Eats Squid
Apparently there was a TV show about downhill injuries on 60minutes recently. I don't usually watch TV and did not see this segment, but that show I have noticed has such a conservative, incomplete one-sided view on the content they show.
can anyone find this video? i would be very interested in what they have to say.

you are also very right in saying that they are very one-sided.

do-a-flip

Likes Bikes and Dirt
can anyone find this video? i would be very interested in what they have to say.

you are also very right in saying that they are very one-sided.
yer im very interested to see this segment. downhill on tv! awesome! was it like putting as with the moto guys saying were nuts and have balls of steel? that would be sick.....:rolleyes:

timbo #48 STP

Likes Dirt
yer im very interested to see this segment. downhill on tv! awesome! was it like putting as with the moto guys saying were nuts and have balls of steel? that would be sick.....:rolleyes:
agreed, it'd be heaps good to get some rep in the media for how nuts some of us go, instead of only seeing moto riders in the news for doing crazy stuff.
not that i have anything against them.

Smooth King

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My mum dosn't mind it. She likes to see me out and about, not sitting on the coach all day. Getting out in the sun and fresh air, meeting other riders and enjoying it.
Likes the video's, Pictures and all. Shes cool about it.

Just she likes it when i come home with skin off and she says "I told you so !". :rolleyes:

chucka_2

Likes Dirt
well i know that it must sound odd but my mum is full behind me in racing downhill. she is more than happy to drive me all around perth getting to a bike shop and then driving me like 4 hours down south to ride for a few days. my dad is the problem. he hates it and although he sayes he dosnt, he freaks out with the thought of me riding or racing. it really gets me pissed off. SHOULDNT IT BE THE OTHER WAYYY! well anyway, there is nothing i can do about it to show him that it isnt so bad but if anybody has a breakthrough please tell me.:)