mums hate downhill

happy_heretic

Likes Dirt
My mum doesn't like watching me in real life either but for some reason she is fine look at pics of me or watching vids......
Tthat would be because if you're here now she knows you survived the video. Honestly its kinda funny because whenever my mum shows up at the bmx track or something to pick me up i always ride as hard as possible and do every trick as big as i can, or pin like shit around the track. Another thing is you come up with creative ways of telling her you've had a bad crash when you call her to take you to the hospital. :p

But other than that she doesn't like me doing the sport but at the same time knows i love it so she supports me that much.

also what was amusing was how she freaked out when i borrowed my mates chest armour for when i was supposed to be racing illinbah (cancelled :( ).

drewmtb

Likes Dirt
my mum used to hate it but then she came to a few races and loved the idea of it. every one is friendy as at races.

i did see that crash on 60 minuets thou. it was pritty narly the dudes my hasent to happy about it but that was of a north shore. racing is a little bit differnt

Hellie

Likes Bikes
As a mother of a son and daughter who both ride, one 25 the other 20, I know what it is like not to want your kids doing things where they can be seriously hurt. Having said that, I would rather be at the race knowing what was going on than at home worrying. It never gets easier, no matter how old they get, that's why I'm a mother. What makes it easier for me is knowing they have done the training and the practise to hopefully not get hurt, but accidents do happen. The worst is getting the overseas phonecall about serious crashes. All I can suggest is, accept that your mother is going to worry no matter what, and try to reasure her that you try to be as safe as possible while doing what you love. At least it's not like playing rugby where you have 12 blokes trying to pummel you into the ground. Statistically, horseriding is the most dangerous sport you can do.

Haha
My mum doesnt come out to watch, she doesnt beleive the stuff I say I do so she wont let me get a new downhill mtb.

Also my parents are willing to fork out 3,000 buck for a surf ski.
However, they wont do so for a mtb, how sh**ty is that.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Haha
My mum doesnt come out to watch, she doesnt beleive the stuff I say I do so she wont let me get a new downhill mtb.

Also my parents are willing to fork out 3,000 buck for a surf ski.
However, they wont do so for a mtb, how sh**ty is that.
My mu will fork out hundred's to take the "family" skiing each year yet I wouldnt get a pretty penny towards MTB'ing.

I get the impression that ski gear isnt a long term investment.......Well at least out of the 4 days a year they get used, for 3 years and then doesnt get used..............Compared to the amount of use I could get out of a REAL long term investment (*hint* new FF helmet)

frdlvr

Likes Dirt
I know what you are going through, im 36, I had a big crash on boxing day put me out for 3 months now my wife keeps saying are you going to give up yet, your not as young as you use to be... BLA BLA BLA.....

AMBURGERS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As a mother of a son and daughter who both ride, one 25 the other 20, I know what it is like not to want your kids doing things where they can be seriously hurt. Having said that, I would rather be at the race knowing what was going on than at home worrying. It never gets easier, no matter how old they get, that's why I'm a mother. What makes it easier for me is knowing they have done the training and the practise to hopefully not get hurt, but accidents do happen. The worst is getting the overseas phonecall about serious crashes. All I can suggest is, accept that your mother is going to worry no matter what, and try to reasure her that you try to be as safe as possible while doing what you love. At least it's not like playing rugby where you have 12 blokes trying to pummel you into the ground. Statistically, horseriding is the most dangerous sport you can do.

haha i race Downhill and play Rugby :D. and you sound like my mother :rolleyes:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Mums do hate downhill. I bought a stinky and eversince she asked to watch me ride trails, and since she watched them shes been urging me to not do any off the jumps or drops. Not a bad thing though, i got shin guards and a full face out of it:p.

Toxicity

one of those boys your mother warned you about
Mums do hate downhill. I bought a stinky and eversince she asked to watch me ride trails, and since she watched them shes been urging me to not do any off the jumps or drops. Not a bad thing though, i got shin guards and a full face out of it:p.
aww all i got outta mine was the full face! gotta love the 09 vegas...

azarawr

Likes Dirt
my mums hated it from the start. Ive crashed once and now she's shitting on about "You want to go out and do this to yourself again do you?!"
i mean any sport comes with risks.. generaly. i sat down and told her i would stop racing until i had some decent income and would only ride on ride days and i got "You can still crash on them, and it is a very expensive sport"
----- WHAT DID I JUST SAY WOMAN? :eek::eek:
and it went on annndddd on. i think half.. more most of it is because my sister is into music,, so the opposite of what i want to do, but she was here first.

BLEH basicly sums it up. :(

zen zen

Likes Dirt
my mum has never hated me doing the sport she's always buying me parts and safety stuff. my family is really soportive, even when i came home after having a big stack mum didnt care she just helped me and got ice and had a look to see if it was ok. well i guess im lucky. some days she tells me to go for a Downhill because its nice outside.

dirtrider_

Likes Dirt
Haha, My mum hates it as well. So i get her to buy me the gear. Maybe Ill convince her to buy me a 'safer' bike, around the 6G mark :D

wootown

Likes Dirt
my mum doesn't really care as long as im having fun and that.
the only reason she gets pissed is because when i go for a dh after its been raining all my clothes get muddy and she has to wash them lol

dhfinatik

Likes Bikes
i think i gave my mum a great birthday present illinbah nats flipped dad gave her a call saying i'm nocked out suspected neck and head injuriy turns out 5 slipped discs in my neck two crushed bones in my neck and a fractured skull happy birthday mum:rolleyes: