mums hate downhill

mcbarron

Likes Bikes
i knocked my teeth out a while ago and my parents were the same they would stress everytime id hop on a bike. ive bought a neck brace and ever since my mum has been happy to see me on my bike up the mountain

zanus

Likes Dirt
my mum is a bit passive towards downhill. So is dad. They buy me parts, but dad dosent understand neck braces. He will find out soon i bet.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmm, I am a Mum but I'm getting into DH so can't say I really know what the big deal is. I'm taking the kids (4.5yrs and 6yrs) to go watch some DH racing action today!!

Although us ladies can have a similar problem of overprotective husbands. Like when I head out for a ride he says "don't fall off or hurt yourself" and all I can say is "I'll try not to". I think my Husband well and truly knows riding is my passion in life and no point trying to stop me, so he just accepts it, mind you I don't get hurt very often and I guess if I did it may be a different story.

If anyone challenges my freedom to go out and ride, I pretty much just argue about the fact that one can get run over just crossing the road, or when driving someone could crash into you head on or whatever. There are so many other risks in life, I think some risk in doing what you love is acceptable, otherwise what's the point of life, may as well be wrapped up on cotton wool and locked in a padded room.

But yes if your Mum sees you limping and starts crying then I don't fancy your chances. Then again maybe she was just hormonal at the time, being a woman I have been known to cry (get upset) for no real good reason.

Sam.

Eats Squid
my mum is a bit passive towards downhill. So is dad. They buy me parts, but dad dosent understand neck braces. He will find out soon i bet.
If only I had a picture of the bruise that was on my back in the shape of my leatt brace...

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm sorta in the same situation at the moment. Been riding for 2-3 years...2 years ago I was just mucking around wasn't really that into it, just did it occasionly and one day I broke my nose at the local track as I was just wearing those skate helmets. She seemed ok with that.

Got a full suspension bike after that and got hooked from there. Didn't have a serious crash on that bike. Then I bought another (more expensive) downhill bike and decided that's what I want to do and for the last year I've loved every second I'm on a bike. Started to get into racing and do training and all that.

She was still fairly supportive of this even though she hates me doing it but she never liked me doing it in the first place. Occasionly gives me runs, drives me to races etc. Has never actually seen me ride she just stays in the car. Also have all the protective gear: Full face, goggles, neck brace, knee pads, elbow pads etc.

3 weeks ago when practising for Ourimbah State Round screwed up a jump and broke both of my arms pretty bad. Had 3 operations so far and just found out I have to have a 4th on Friday. As soon as I did it (after the 1st op) she said I'm not riding again.

She says she's going to sell my bikes and I'm not allowed to ride downhill (or any kind of pushbike) or motocross again. I do actually own the bikes and I buy all the parts and all that myself. Dunno what I'm going to do if she doesn't let me keep riding, it's basically what I do. I quit soccer after playing that for 9 years to concentrate on it. Haven't thought of a way that will make her change her mind yet.

Dads cool with all of it but he races motorbikes so he knows what it's all about.

Here's my left arm which is broken in right throught the bnes, the right is only broken in one spot.

CourseOut

Likes Bikes
That x-ray is horrible...

You will find that most mum's/girlfriends/boyfriends/husbands/wives, et al will worry about you getting hurt!

If you wanna know what a stressed out mother sounds like get a mate to call her from the track and say you've just belted the wall at 150km/h and they are putting you in the ambulance....

Pete_10

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mum's hate you repeating an injury. And them having to pay for surgery twice, that's what they hate.

After that I was the one to make the decision to get out of downhill.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, don't let broken bones stop you, they heal!