Music, the best sound ever made!

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hearing the difference now isn't the reason to encode to FLAC. FLAC uses lossless compression, while MP3 is 'lossy'. What this means is that for each year the MP3 sits on your hard drive, it will lose roughly 12kbps, assuming you have SATA - it's about 15kbps on IDE, but only 7kbps on SCSI, due to rotational velocidensity. You don't want to know how much worse it is on CD-ROM or other optical media.

I started collecting MP3s in about 2001, and if I try to play any of the tracks I downloaded back then, even the stuff I grabbed at 320kbps, they just sound like crap. The bass is terrible, the midrange...well don't get me started. Some of those albums have degraded down to 32 or even 16kbps. FLAC rips from the same period still sound great, even if they weren't stored correctly, in a cool, dry place. Seriously, stick to FLAC, you may not be able to hear the difference now, but in a year or two, you'll be glad you did.
hehehe!!! That is some funny bitchin' at the old analog whingers (ie me!!!) :)

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
looks interesting!

so, how come mp3 made it big if it sucks so badly, wheras DAT is better but noone has heard of it?

apples marketing department?
Apple have their own format : apple losseles. Which sacrifices some quality to fit in a smaller file but no where near as much as mp3.

I'm pretty sure they also made acc mainstream with iTunes and iPod instead of just mp3.

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Parody threads rule, until you see page 1 filled with 5 real threads, and 15 parody threads, some a parody thread of a parody thread... of a parody thread. Used well, like this one, I'm all for it!

Music is probably the best sound ever. I just imported 5 tasty 12" platters from America. Haven't played them yet, need a new needle, but I'll shake the house down this weekend for sure

Joy

Likes Dirt
If it isn't playing Reel2Reel it aint shit!
hahaha.

Don't get me wrong, I adore the convenience of mp3s and ipods. I do not miss my discman days one bit! I can't wait for a lossless, small size, music format to be introduced. When I'm at home though I use the opportunity to crank my vinyl. Nothing better than listening to Judas Priest the way it was originally intended to.

scuba05

Likes Dirt
I can't wait for a lossless, small size, music format to be introduced.
Sorry, but isnt that oxymoron?

To have perfect quality, there must be no compression. For a small size, there must be compression. You lose the sound quality over time with this constant compress/uncompress process.

Is this right? Or have i got the wrong thought process?

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt

To have perfect quality, there must be no compression. For a small size, there must be compression. You lose the sound quality over time with this constant compress/uncompress process.

Size of the file is only relative to what it is stored on or the bandwidth of what it is transfered over. Flacs are really pretty small compared to the size of memory on players nowdays. So an album as a flac which is no lossy may be 5x the size of an mp3 but its a case of so what as the memory of the devices are so large.

When I was at Uni in the stone age my initial thesis idea was hard disk recording in digital formats. However the largest desktop harddrives at the time would not even store one stereo song... so I ended up doing some boring crap thesis instead. Technology has come a long way since then.

Joy

Likes Dirt

No you're right, but who's to say it couldn't happen in the future?

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It would seem apparent you dont live in real music territory, up here 90% of music files are mp3's for a reason - they go further than anything else and are more reliable. When you listen to music in the remote corners of Arnhem Land then these things become important to your very survival.

(Ahem.)

Not quite. You can compress without loss, like some formats do already.

What you are talking about is lossy vs lossless compression. All your favourite file compression formats (RAR, ZIP) are lossless because if you lose any information, your warez - sorry, backups - get sad.

The obvious reason that lossy formats (jpeg, mpeg, H.264) compress so much more than lossless (png, FLAC) is that they can throw information away - the big difference between different formats is how they decide what to throw away. This uses a lot of theory about how we perceive things, like can we tell tiny differences in colour apart, or tiny differences in sound.

A little bit of loss in the music information really isn't noticeable, unless you are a deluded audiophile with $30,000 digital cables and a $10,000 pearwood volume knob for better music colour. (I'm not talking about the difference between 128kbs and 256kbs, that is noticeable, unless you only listen on crappy headphones or bad car radios.)

Btw, there is a way to compress some music really really well, absolutely perfectly - it is called sheet music. Except you lose the information about how it was played. :)

Last edited:

INRI

Likes Dirt
the ipod is the absolute benchmark in high quality portable audio and has not and will not ever be superceded

dunndog

Eats Squid
Reload was the best Metallica album
My god man are you sane??!?!?! Or dyslexic? I think you meant to type "most absurdly innappropriately ridiculously SHIT" instead of "best"..
*EDIT* Having just read the few previous posts I think I detect a hint of sarcasm...

Last edited: