My Ipod (nano) Experience

GoingDHfast

Likes Dirt
roxy12 said:
actualy read the article submited by apple regarding the screens cracking, theyve stsated that they will replace them because it is a manafacturing fault and not a design fault. by there records 1/3 screens will crack. but they have said theyl replace it in this article they publicly launched (google it, very easy to find) but yes it is a very big dissapointment, my new one cracked the first day i had it (took it to the gym):(
Another product rushed through the R&D department at huge costs to Apple's dedicated consumers. I wonder how long that dedication will last?

Apple have always had huge problems forecasting demands (at least in Australia) and even when they seem to get it right, their distribution systems fail under pressure.

cE

Likes Dirt
roxy12 said:
actualy read the article submited by apple regarding the screens cracking, theyve stsated that they will replace them because it is a manafacturing fault and not a design fault. by there records 1/3 screens will crack. but they have said theyl replace it in this article they publicly launched (google it, very easy to find) but yes it is a very big dissapointment, my new one cracked the first day i had it (took it to the gym):(

Do you think you could post a link to this "article submited by apple"? I couldn't find it....found plenty about the screens cracking, but nothing on the Apple site....thanks in advance...

lukethedork

Likes Bikes
i like to look cool....

PINT of Stella said:
Not being that up on 'the pod' I'm just wondering, can you alter the quality of the music files before downloading them onto the I-Pod? With my Hi-MD and new phone the sound quality really depends on how much kbps you've used to record the track,

CD quality sound IS possible on both but you sacrifice a lot of space on the disk/stick.

Is this the same with the I-Pod?

Also has anyone ever noticed that every computer or laptop you see in a Hollywood blockbuster is made by Apple despite the majority of people in real life using PC's?

They must spend a fortune on product placement
Somone has probably already answered this question but ill answer it again! =P
yes the quality of the music file you are player does matter, so do the headphones. but if you have even two 128kbps mp3 songs playing you will still be able to tell a difference between my H340 (H300) and an Ipod, even though it is a relatively low quality file (128kbps)... the only reason for this is because........... IPOD SUCKS
oops i also forgot to add that, if you are using it on speakers you will most likely have them turned up abit and be talking with some friends anyway so it doesnt matter... so for parties or what ever, there is absolutely no difference.. but if your a loser like me and like good sound quality and have good headphones, then get an Iriver or Sony.
Le Parkour, It's more than just a sport... It's a way of life.

Last edited:

sammy boy

Likes Dirt
ive had my ipod for quite a while know, its fine though its the first type made butive heard of heaps of problems with screen crackin for the nanos, apple used to warrant for that but because it has happened so much theyve taken it out of the warranty

Tailus

Likes Bikes
lukethedork said:
if you have even two 128kbps mp3 songs playing you will still be able to tell a difference between my H340 (H300) and an Ipod, even though it is a relatively low quality file (128kbps)... the only reason for this is because........... IPOD SUCKS but if your a loser like me and like good sound quality and have good headphones, then get an Iriver or Sony.
If you like good sound quality and actually understand what you're on about you'll know that there's nothing wrong with the way an iPod reproduces a signal. If you're genuinely concerned about sound quality, there's no cure better than a good parametric equaliser and a good pair of headphones.

If you've got some non-objective, quantifiable evidence that shows that ipods sound quality 'sucks' more than any other player out there i'd like to see it.

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tailus said:
If you like good sound quality and actually understand what you're on about you'll know that there's nothing wrong with the way an iPod reproduces a signal. If you're genuinely concerned about sound quality, there's no cure better than a good parametric equaliser and a good pair of headphones.

If you've got some non-objective, quantifiable evidence that shows that ipods sound quality 'sucks' more than any other player out there i'd like to see it.
yeah id like to see that too.
it does seems that alot of ipods r dodgy. luckily my 20gig ipod works fine most of the time and the batt is till good even while snowboarding. it has been freezing a bit lately, but if it crpas out i have the 3 year warrenty. as for the irivers, previous models were shit to navigate and felt cheap when compared to the ipod i reckon. but saying that, if i had 500 in my hand today, the ipod would certainly have alot of competition to beat.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i've listened to a Iriver with my Ipod In Ear Headphones, and sorry to say, they are crap as.
no where near as loud and no where near as sharp.

Tailus

Likes Bikes
We're addressing the players, not the headphones, and you're right, ipod stockers are pretty poor.

faith_rider

Likes Dirt
I love my iPod but then again it isn't a peice if shit like these new ones :rolleyes:

Mine is a 3rd gen 15gig and I have never had a problem with it. My dad also has one the same and after (me!) dropping it from about 1.5m onto concrete while it was out of the case, we just picked it up and it played fine and is still great. :D

The bottom line is that anything new Apple has made after that is crap as they rush to get newer, better and not properly tested products on our shelves as quick as they can. I was skeptical of Nano's for their shear rip off value for one and their structual integrity for another. I wouldn't buy one nor reccomend anyone buy anyhting newer than a 4th gen.

Let's not start on the pathetic Apple warranty and iPods battery problems though....

www.ilounge.com is a great place to hear about all the complaints, quite alarming really :eek:

ManiCC

Likes Dirt
That's funny as.

I got my iPod photo like 2 weeks ago and i scratched the screen on the first day and on the scratch its different to the screen were its not scratched, but other than that there awesome as. scratch very easily.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the difference in sound quality may also be a difference in file types (apple use AAC and other odd formats) which have a better sounding high frequency range, while MP3's and WMA's are an all-round file, which doesnt really concentrate on anything in particular. (the WMA doesnt sound as nice for high frequency, but i prefer it over the AAC any day)

the quality and tolerances of the components will have a mild role in the sound quiality, but in these things, you will find they are all pretty much the same on the inside (they're all pink on the inside) they will all have 1% tolerances... the mian part is the program (firmware) which will decide how it sounds (and the bitrate) the connections for headphones and line out will also play a smallpart, but most will be copper plated, which are pretty good anyway.

i read earlier that "the iriver may sound better because they have an optical out?" this will not be true. optical is a completely different connection, and sends data over a light signal, not an electronic pulse...
optical is the thing in the back of your ps2, and/or in you high quility stereo system or MD deck...

by the way, if anyone knows where i can get an optical to RCA converter please fill me in on the details. (i wish to have the optical out from my ps2 running through a surround system) (and i do understand that i will not get a surround signal from this)

Robza

Likes Bikes
Ipods are meant to be good and they are but are fragile and a little fortune. And when you think you got the new one next week thes another

Nabdaddy

Likes Dirt
Ipods are a bit of a waste of money the battery is supposed to last for about 8 hours (gen 2) but my crappy one only lasts for 1 hour at the most. My sis bought a mac laptop and it was falty.

Hope my thoughts on apple helps (had to let some aggression out) :D

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid
Tailus said:

but then again, if you actually enjoy decent sound quality, you would either listen to a record on a high end turntable through a high end sound system (not panasonic, something with hand soldered circuits and hand made wires etc..):D

on the other hand, just use a discman. sound quality shits all over mp3 players:p (unless you rip music on the lossless setting.. but seriously.. who does that? (sheepishly raises hand)

the simple fact is that digitally reproduced sound (yes, ALL CDs) is nowhere near as good as an analogue source (records, live). simply because in order to create a lossless copy of the track in particular, you would need an extrodinarily sophisticated machine, not yet encompassed by todays technology. so from the recording process onwards, there is loss in all music today.

Tailus

Likes Bikes
donthucktoflat said:
but then again, if you actually enjoy decent sound quality, you would either listen to a record on a high end turntable through a high end sound system (not panasonic, something with hand soldered circuits and hand made wires etc..):D
people who think record players are good entertain me

bing bong

Likes Dirt
yep iPods have just become so popular yet incredibly hard to fix, most ppl have pc's so good mp3 players to look at are iriver's (got one for chrissie) and the m-robe, these are alot easier to service and fix if something goes wrong, the worst thing that can happen is the battery, no company is willing to put that on the warrenty, one because many many batteries are faulty and such things along tho's lines. thats my 2cents

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I River my friend- I River...

I had an issue with a new I-River some 30 minutes old... Shot a few emails to the the CS department, and they said just take it to the store and they will prelace it under warrenty.

Done!

I found the apply package quiet attractive- but very lacking. The Nano in particular may be small etc... But it has a lack of memory. Whay pay 300bux for something with 2gb, when you could get something similar with much more memory for not much more. I believe the creative Zen Micro goes for $380- 8gb, quiet small, although abit thicker than the nano.

Really sorry to hear about your experience though- I just love it how Apple fucks you in the ass on the warrenty- We had an issue with an Apple computer (the CPU fucked itself 3 times over for no reason), no more Apple for us.

Shane_ishga

Likes Dirt
Im getting an ipod shuffle 1gb
no stupid screens to crack
lite weight small
goes around your neck
you can run and ride with it on
you wont brake them
1gb is all i need
its not like im goin to china on a plane