Narrow wide chainrings - the best of them....

stirk

Burner
Hi gang,

I'm in the market now for a new chainring as the current is worn and dropping chain alot. The current one is a raceface and I've been happy with the two I've had thus far but they seem to wear out quicker than the cassette which is still working really well with heaps of life.

However time to change and I'm looking at wolftooth or one up.

I know wolftooth is proven and seem popular here but anyone know how the one up rings are?

I'm also tempted to go oval but still think there's a bit of snake oil in them...

moorey

call me Mia
I like WTC also. Blackspire snaggletooth hold chain well, but noisy. Praxxis are also solid.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Get steel if you can. Used to love the cheap SRAM ones.

I got a sent an oval ring by accident and CBF sending it back, now I'm converted. Won't go back to round.

I'm currently running the Oneup switch rings due to an odd setup (0 degree superboost offset)...not getting great life out of them TBH. 1500kms out of the last one.

+1 chain guide. Simple Oneup guide works well.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I had a OneUp on my previous bike. It was an excellent piece of metal.
Would buy again 100%.
I'm mates with the guy that bought the bike.... chain ring still going strong nearly 3 years now.
(for ref, it was just their regular nw Shimano pcd jobbie... not the clever interchangeable ones)

stirk

Burner
@frenchman are you mad! That strategy hinders new parts'itis! It's a serious problem you NEED to have....

The rest of ewes are suggesting either or!
I like One up as they made the RAD cage which is rad, but wolftooth seem to be in the game longer for NW and I'm looking at their goat, don't tell @Shredden. I'll head in that direction I think.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
@frenchman are you mad! That strategy hinders new parts'itis! It's a serious problem you NEED to have....
But you get a new chain guide!

It may be 5+ years old but team robot nailed it

In a discussion about the relative benefits of clips vs. flats, Five Tens vs. some other sticky shoe, or running a chainguide vs. not, please don't ever say:

"I never slip a foot with flat pedals, so I don't need clips."

"I never slip a foot with xyz brand flat pedal shoe, so I don't need Five Tens."

"I never drop a chain with my narrow wide (or X-Sync) chainring, so I don't need a chainguide."

By sharing that with us you haven't proven anything about the relative benefit of your favored product, you've only proven to me that you are slow and you suck.

People who ride hard drop chains when they run a narrow wide ring. They drop chains when they run a chainguide. They even drop chains when they run a chainguide and a narrow wide ring. They drop chains or have chain suck because they ride hard. Some solutions will result in fewer dropped chains, but if you're riding hard it's going to happen. The question we want to resolve is which configuration will strike the best compromise between competing goals, ie light weight, low pedaling resistance, and chain retention.

It's like all the adults were having a nice conversation, weighing their preferred method of chain retention over dinner together, perhaps enjoying wines and cheeses, comparing notes and sharing charming anecdotes, and then you scooched the kids table up to our pleasant meal and started yelling across the table, spraying half eaten Goldfish crackers, "BUT I NEVER DROP CHAINS WITH MY NARROW WIDE RING!!"

You haven't changed the conversation we were enjoying without you. You've only delayed it and inconvenienced us.

Sam Hill runs the OG Five Ten, the army boot with stealth rubber, and he runs razor blade 1-inch pins sticking out of his pedals. He still slips feet from time to time.

If you never slip your pedal when you run Vans slip-ons, it's because you're going slow.

TLDR: If you never drop a chain, it's because you suck.

And I know @stirk, you don’t suck.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
But you get a new chain guide!

It may be 5+ years old but team robot nailed it

In a discussion about the relative benefits of clips vs. flats, Five Tens vs. some other sticky shoe, or running a chainguide vs. not, please don't ever say:

"I never slip a foot with flat pedals, so I don't need clips."

"I never slip a foot with xyz brand flat pedal shoe, so I don't need Five Tens."

"I never drop a chain with my narrow wide (or X-Sync) chainring, so I don't need a chainguide."

By sharing that with us you haven't proven anything about the relative benefit of your favored product, you've only proven to me that you are slow and you suck.

People who ride hard drop chains when they run a narrow wide ring. They drop chains when they run a chainguide. They even drop chains when they run a chainguide and a narrow wide ring. They drop chains or have chain suck because they ride hard. Some solutions will result in fewer dropped chains, but if you're riding hard it's going to happen. The question we want to resolve is which configuration will strike the best compromise between competing goals, ie light weight, low pedaling resistance, and chain retention.

It's like all the adults were having a nice conversation, weighing their preferred method of chain retention over dinner together, perhaps enjoying wines and cheeses, comparing notes and sharing charming anecdotes, and then you scooched the kids table up to our pleasant meal and started yelling across the table, spraying half eaten Goldfish crackers, "BUT I NEVER DROP CHAINS WITH MY NARROW WIDE RING!!"

You haven't changed the conversation we were enjoying without you. You've only delayed it and inconvenienced us.

Sam Hill runs the OG Five Ten, the army boot with stealth rubber, and he runs razor blade 1-inch pins sticking out of his pedals. He still slips feet from time to time.

If you never slip your pedal when you run Vans slip-ons, it's because you're going slow.

TLDR: If you never drop a chain, it's because you suck.

And I know @stirk, you don’t suck.
Wow. That was simply beautiful.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I bought a Wolftooth one for a previous bike. I don't track kms but it wore notably faster than the factory Shimano M8000 ring (with stainless teeth). I wasn't all that impressed to be honest, but it may be common for anodised aluminium chainrings, I'm not sure. I mostly ride in granitic sand though, so that may be a factor with wear on the aluminium rings...

gillyske

Likes Dirt
can anyone explain to me what benefits they preceieved from going to an oval chain ring? I just like hearing it from people to aren't paid to review products.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
I can’t explain the science, but the power stroke feels lighter...like you’re running a slightly smaller ring.
I remember reading somewhere about sizing up/down when going from round to oval CR...?
It's there a rule-of-thumb?... or just go same number of teeth?

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I can’t explain the science, but the power stroke feels lighter...like you’re running a slightly smaller ring.
I'll back that up. Changed both bikes to Oval after a trial and went 2T larger on the chainrings in the process. It also feels like a smoother delivery of the power as well as it being lighter