National 24 solo champs in 2011?

'Ello everyone. After such a good experience at the Canberra World 24 solo's this year, I was looking to come over again for a solo 24. There is only one 24hr race in NZ next year, and the habit needs more feeding.

So. Any news about a solo only 24 next year in Australia, when and where? I need to plan a holiday.

cheers,
Paul

Shrekmeister

Likes Dirt
'Ello everyone. After such a good experience at the Canberra World 24 solo's this year, I was looking to come over again for a solo 24. There is only one 24hr race in NZ next year, and the habit needs more feeding.

So. Any news about a solo only 24 next year in Australia, when and where? I need to plan a holiday.

cheers,
Paul
Dude, its held on the easter weekend each year, and a great event last coupla years been held at Majura Pines, however this maybee changing to Kowen this year...(both in canberra area)

hopefully Russ, or those in the know can update as a bit, as its booked into the race calender already :cool:

you may also be interested in the Merida 24 hour in queensland in july which was a great event this year, or the Jeep 24 in november in melbourne.

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
At this stage:

. CORC will be holding their Easter Solo-Only 24Hr. The location will depend on progress with forestry work, but definitely in Canberra.

. the event/location/timing for the 2011 Australian Solo 24Hr Champs is not yet decided.

Last edited:

DaGonz

Eats Squid
you may also be interested in the Merida 24 hour in queensland in july which was a great event this year, or the Jeep 24 in november in melbourne.
well... techincally Forrest, but I highly rate this race! You could always do the Scott again in OCT as well.

Is there any announcements about the 24hr nats at all? Last I heard, canberra were looking to unload it or at least wind back the prizes significantly. Hopefully wherever it is, it'll get a good turn out. The Gals field last year was huge!

Cheers
Spoonie

krisko

Likes Dirt
Im really looking forward to this myself. Im particularly interested in the 6+6 option that has been offered in previous years. This may change as training progresses to the full 24hr.

I have heard that the Canberra Majura races are a perfect introduction to a first 24hr.

akashra

Eats Squid
Im really looking forward to this myself. Im particularly interested in the 6+6 option that has been offered in previous years. This may change as training progresses to the full 24hr.

I have heard that the Canberra Majura races are a perfect introduction to a first 24hr.
I too am planning on doing the 6+6 if it's offered again this year - would be good to have confirmation.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
well... techincally Forrest, but I highly rate this race! You could always do the Scott again in OCT as well.

Is there any announcements about the 24hr nats at all? Last I heard, canberra were looking to unload it or at least wind back the prizes significantly. Hopefully wherever it is, it'll get a good turn out. The Gals field last year was huge!

Cheers
Spoonie
Bring it to Forrest
Bring it to Forrest
Bring it to Forrest

Vic needs another 24
Hey, how about Forrest?
Youies would be ok, but bring it to Forrest.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bring it to Forrest
Bring it to Forrest
Bring it to Forrest

Vic needs another 24
Hey, how about Forrest?
Youies would be ok, but bring it to Forrest.
I disagree. WSC is promising a July/August European/UK WSC24 2011 - backing up from Nats to Worlds in a month would be vicious, I suspect we'd see our Worlds contenders skipping Nats. By all means, move Nats around - but do it NEXT year, we really do need an early Solo Nats this year.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
I disagree. WSC is promising a July/August European/UK WSC24 2011 - backing up from Nats to Worlds in a month would be vicious, I suspect we'd see our Worlds contenders skipping Nats. By all means, move Nats around - but do it NEXT year, we really do need an early Solo Nats this year.
I'd just be happy if things could get announced by the start of the year - if solo nationals is supposed to be the peak race for 24hr racing in aust it would be nice to know sorta when it is so you can plan other races around it!

As far as I know mtba didn't ask for tenders to host the event this year that to my mind that either means that canberra has it again or there is no solo nats this year (although the solo only Easter race is still going ahead in either case).

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Last I heard, canberra were looking to unload it or at least wind back the prizes significantly.
As far as I know mtba didn't ask for tenders to host the event this year that to my mind that either means that canberra has it again or there is no solo nats this year (although the solo only Easter race is still going ahead in either case).
Its the national championships! isn't that prize enough??? so long as the mtba provides the jersey x 2 (m/f) and the medals thats plenty to race for... hell, cut the medals and jerseys and we'll just race for the title

One of the few points where my opinion digresses from the mtba line is one the selection of a national championships in the absence of a successful tender - in my mind anything is better then nothing -> if this is what it comes to, just pick a big race and declare it the national champs (eg if nobody successfully tenders for the xcm nats then just stick the big xcms is a hat {dw100 bmc100 highlandfling capitalpunishment} and draw one out) Surely nobody is going to knock it back if the mtba just provides the medals for nothing and doesnt set any additional requirements.
imo If nobody tenders to be SoloNats the MTBA should tell the EasterSolo organisers 'do what you like, we'll just give the jerseys out once you're done'

johndh

Likes Dirt
Certainly no indication on the MTBA website for the Solo champs, and not that long to Easter, maybe MTBA are not going to have a Solo champs for 2011? When my club organise events I want 8 - 9 months notice, gives us time to plan for it properly!

Mtba

.Le Matelot "the event/location/timing for the 2011 Australian 24Hr Solo Champs is not yet decided. 31/12/2010
.Johndh. When my club organizes events I want 8-9months notice as I want to plan for it properly.
Neither of these comments is helpful or relevant to the mountain bike community having the event. Gotta ask firstly what is the leadership of MTBA doing about the event? Secondly perhaps Johndh is volunteering to put on the 24HR championships? There are still 11.5 months left in 2011 so it fits within the 8-9 months timeframe.
Agree with Australia above just give jerseys, prizes are over rated any way. Chances are if you are good enuf to win a prize in a significant event you already have a couple of whatever you have just won. Me I would be happy to win the "title".
Yep, MTBA decide when and who and where a 24 HR event in 2011 will be considered the Aust Championship asap please - and make it dry.

Last edited:

Boreit

Likes Dirt
3/12/2010.

Neither of these comments is helpful or relevant to the mountain bike community having the event. Gotta ask firstly what is the leadership of MTBA doing about the event? Secondly perhaps Johndh is volunteering to put on the 24HR championships? There are still 11.5 months left in 2011 so it fits within the 8-9 months timeframe.
Agree with Australia above just give jerseys, prizes are over rated any way. Chances are if you are good enuf to win a prize in a significant event you already have a coupl of whatever you have just won. Me I would be happy to win the "title".
god help me for making the comment but given the exposue to 24hoa maybe MTBA is running with the ole take it leave it & get what your given mentality. personally i liked the pre 24hoa MTBA method.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
god help me for making the comment but given the exposue to 24hoa maybe MTBA is running with the ole take it leave it & get what your given mentality. personally i liked the pre 24hoa MTBA method.
I don't follow, could you explain what you are saying.

jean5614

Likes Dirt
From my understanding, the final decision on where the Easter 24hr solo champs is to be held is dependent on several factors. My information is based on talking to several club officials in Canberra. Firstly Majura is close to being thinned. When is another matter. When the thinning crew leaves Sparrow they will then probably head over to Majura. The tracks at Kowen are not in great repair and the facilities are not great for this event. To explain this further, Innabunya has toilet and shower facilities on site whilst Kowen only has a basic toilet set up. Sparrow has even less. Bringing in toilets and showers would be very expensive. The number of riders is very small every year and CORC takes a, not insubstantial, financial loss each year. The club is, however committed to running the race as it feels it is a worthwhile event. Having raced in it over a number of years I can attest to this. This leaves Stromlo which has the facilities. I'm not sure that the club is not waiting to see whether the preferred site, Majura, is available. Hope this helps, cheers jack:cool:

Thanks for the help with the original post. I might plan a trip over to the Jeep 24 in November, and make a good vacation of it around Melbourne.

Dates

Difficult I guess for the Aust Championship to get organised when the WSC24HR is unknown? Like it would be good to have the Aussie champion of 2011 at the WSC 24HR. Why does the Aust Champ 24HR have to be a CORC event? Difficult I guess to know the qualifying rules that WSC24HR will apply to the Aust Championship as they don't deal with MTBA only CORC.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Difficult I guess for the Aust Championship to get organised when the WSC24HR is unknown? Like it would be good to have the Aussie champion of 2011 at the WSC 24HR. Why does the Aust Champ 24HR have to be a CORC event? Difficult I guess to know the qualifying rules that WSC24HR will apply to the Aust Championship as they don't deal with MTBA only CORC.
Part of the answer lies above.

How many club members would be happy for their club to make a loss out of running a 24 hour event?

I think last year, knowing that 24HOA was in Canberra, they still only had 130 entries

Roland

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Difficult I guess for the Aust Championship to get organised when the WSC24HR is unknown?

Like it would be good to have the Aussie champion of 2011 at the WSC 24HR. Why does the Aust Champ 24HR have to be a CORC event? .
I would say that we know enough-ish for the Aust champs to be run even though the exact date for WSC aren't decided - it'll (WSC) be June / July ish so the aussie champs need to be no later than mid-late April (gee isn't that Easter :) ) as most of us aren't like Red Racer and can race a 24 solo every couple of weekends or so :)

Its kind of nice that MTBA are interested in the 24 solo thing as its not really a UCI thing so the interest is appreciated. Its a shame that the tender doc last year specified that the 24 champs (effectively) needed to be a solo only race - that cuts out a huge number of potential hosts (or at least those that can host two races simultaneously).

I've heard through the grapevine that the solo only race is on at Easter and that's a great thing - its an awesome race and has the best atmosphere all year (well except when WSC came to town of course). It'd be nice if it was the aussie champs as well but even if its not... meh - still a great race to do.

Just be nice if MTBA could clarify what their position / thoughts are...