National 24 solo champs in 2011?

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Maybe swapping hats a few times in this post, but ...

CORC have a formal relationship with WSC, which means that the Scott 24Hr is a 24 Hours of Adrenalin affiliated event for the next 3 years. This is one step up from the pre-word champs relationship that CORC had. So, there will always be qualifiers from the Solo category at the Scott for the World Solo Champs. But the problem is, for 2011, that the 2011 world champs will almost certainly be held before the 2011 Scott. So, riders who qualify from the 2011 Scott wl be qualifying for the 2012 world solo champs.

CORC have also qualified riders from the Easter Solo-Only 24Hr to go to the world solo champs - and I expect this will continue.

By the way, the earlier post about CORC wanting to "walk away" from the Easter Solo-Only 24Hr is news to CORC. Dunno where that came from, but I wouldn't believe it.

In terms of the 2011 Australian Solo 24Hr Champs, I have asked for a tender document to be issued, then MTBA will see who responds, evaluate responses and then award the champs. Part of the tender will specify minimum prize levels so, if the CORC Easter Solo-Only 24Hr is:

. the Aussie Champs, the prizes will be determined by the MTBA specifications

. not the Aussie Champs, then the prizes will be determined by CORC.

In terms of location, a venue with facilities is needed to make this sort of event cost effective, so Majura or Stromlo are the most obvious choices for CORC, but it will depend on forestry work at Majura.

Timbers

Likes Dirt
When are the worlds expected to be held?
What other events are in place to qualify?
Given the claims of the Easter event running at a loss for CORC and the allready in place facilities at Stromlo wouldnt that make it a walk up definate for the event or is there more than meets the eye in regards to cost of racing there?
Seems a little silly to have such an awesome event venue only to go and have to hire toilets/ showers etc to hold the race somewhere else. (Does it show I realy like riding at Stromlo?:D)

Le Matelot

When are the worlds expected to be held?
That is up to 24 Hrs of Adrenalin. There has been no announcement yet and I am not aware of any possibilities. In recent times, they are in Jun/Jul if in Canada and in Sep/Oct if in the warmer parts of the USA.

What other events are in place to qualify?
Again - another Q for 24HoA. I can't find a list of qualifying events on their website. Individual events have to be approved by 24HoA as qualifying events.

Given the claims of the Easter event running at a loss for CORC and the allready in place facilities at Stromlo wouldnt that make it a walk up definate for the event or is there more than meets the eye in regards to cost of racing there?
Racing at Stromlo is not "free" but it is certainly very attractive from an organisational perspective. Flexibility of track usage is more constrained at Stromlo.

Seems a little silly to have such an awesome event venue only to go and have to hire toilets/ showers etc to hold the race somewhere else.
The fitted shower and toilet facilities at Innabaanya (Majura) are actually better than the fitted facilities at Stromlo - but either venue is suitable. I guess there is more "emotional" attachment to Majura for this particular event because it has been held there for so long and has attracted a bit of a special cult status to it. Either one would work fine from a CORC perspective.

Last edited:
So no one has any clue about where the WSC24 will be or when or even when we will know.
No one has any idea of what events will be qualifiers - except for the Scott24 2011 which is possibly useless for the WSC2011.
CORC have not disclosed where it's event may be.
24 hour solo races are uneconomical to hold.
MTBA can't decide on anything 'cos of the above.
Aussie 24 hour riders who supported the WSC 24, and gave it legitimacy it had never previously achieved, are now screwed.
I'm training for ......... pizza and beer and its been going well.

Timbers

Likes Dirt
So no one has any clue about where the WSC24 will be or when or even when we will know.
No one has any idea of what events will be qualifiers - except for the Scott24 2011 which is possibly useless for the WSC2011.
CORC have not disclosed where it's event may be.
24 hour solo races are uneconomical to hold.
MTBA can't decide on anything 'cos of the above.
Aussie 24 hour riders who supported the WSC 24, and gave it legitimacy it had never previously achieved, are now screwed.
I'm training for ......... pizza and beer and its been going well.
Very easy fix, just ride every 24 hour event in the country the year before you want to go to worlds, easy yeah? ;)

Well put AG. Gotta say, fairly piss poor! gven the duration of training and commitment to do these events properly as a competitor the long to mid term structure of actual racing and information is well.........shit. Solo competing is tough enough without being in the dark in regards to what events you need to do and where and when they are being held.

.stu.

Likes Dirt
Aussie 24 hour riders who entered the 2010 WSC 24 will have a grandfather clause to enter the 2011 WSC 24. Previously, 24HOA have tried very hard to recognise the support of past entrants through the grandfather clause for future qualifying. I see no reason to suspect that Australian riders would be in any way screwed.

Last edited:

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Aussie 24 hour riders who qualified for the 2010 WSC 24 will probably have a grandfather clause to enter the 2011 WSC 24. Previously, 24HOA have tried very hard to recognise the support of past entrants through the grandfather clause for future qualifying. I see no reason to suspect that Australian riders would be in any way screwed.
I thought the grandfathering was if you actually raced... if you've raced a WSC24 then you get grandfathered in - the whole 'if you ever qualified you're in' thing was specific to Aussies last year.

Not sure if this will be repeated for the current year (and to be honest hope its not - lets face it, qualifying for a race 5 years ago doesn't mean you'd qualify today)

Dons fire retardant suit and settles in to wait... :)

Le Matelot

I thought the grandfathering was if you actually raced... if you've raced a WSC24 then you get grandfathered in ...
That is correct. Grandfathering for WSC applies to those who have raced a previous WSC.

... the whole 'if you ever qualified you're in' thing was specific to Aussies last year.
Also correct. This was specific for the 2010 champs and was in recognition that many good Aussie and Kiwi riders who had qualified in previous years, may not have entered a world champs - largely because of cost reasons - but with the champs in Australia, that gave them an opportunity.

jmcavoy

Likes Dirt
From the CORC site:

CORC Solo Only Easter 24 Hour
Sunday, January 16, 2011
Canberra Off Road Cyclists will be holding its Easter Solo 24 Hour Race on the weekend on April 23 and 24 at Stromlo Forest Park. We will be running a 6 + 6 Hour Race in conjunction with the Solo 24 Hour Race, for Juniors and Open Men and Women.
MTBA has yet to announce the hosts of the 2011 MTBA National Solo 24 Hour Championships, but CORC will be submitting a bid to once again host the Championships. Entries will open for the CORC Easter Solo 24 Hour Race once the decision regarding hosting the 2011 Championships has been made.
For now get training and start making your travel plans.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From the CORC site:

CORC Solo Only Easter 24 Hour
Sunday, January 16, 2011
Canberra Off Road Cyclists will be holding its Easter Solo 24 Hour Race on the weekend on April 23 and 24 at Stromlo Forest Park. We will be running a 6 + 6 Hour Race in conjunction with the Solo 24 Hour Race, for Juniors and Open Men and Women.
MTBA has yet to announce the hosts of the 2011 MTBA National Solo 24 Hour Championships, but CORC will be submitting a bid to once again host the Championships. Entries will open for the CORC Easter Solo 24 Hour Race once the decision regarding hosting the 2011 Championships has been made.
For now get training and start making your travel plans.
What do you mean make my travel plans?? I booked my room in November!

cos

Cannon Fodder
CORC to Host 2011 National Solo 24 Hour Championships

MTBA has advised CORC today that we have been successful in our bid to host the 2011 MTBA National Solo 24 Hour Championships. They will be held at Stromlo Forest Park Canberra on Easter Weekend, April 23rd and 24th. The website www.solo24hour.com.au will be launched with all the information soon.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
So this is confirmation that, even though Majura thinning has been delayed 12 months+, the Easter race is still at Stromlo anyway. D'oh :cool:

Btw the website front page needs updating :)

Le Matelot

So this is confirmation that, even though Majura thinning has been delayed 12 months+, the Easter race is still at Stromlo anyway. D'oh :cool:
Drove past Majura today and there were a lot of trees laying on their backs with their feet in the air ...

Le Matelot

MTBA has advised CORC today that we have been successful in our bid to host the 2011 MTBA National Solo 24 Hour Championships. They will be held at Stromlo Forest Park Canberra on Easter Weekend, April 23rd and 24th. The website www.solo24hour.com.au will be launched with all the information soon.
Pretty serious $$ for the Overall winners too - $3000 each for M and F winners and paying to 5th.