AUS National DH Championships - Final Results

tprmc78

Likes Dirt
Just a guess (i'm on the east coast of the US so i've only seen the track in videos), but i'm wondering if the dry conditions made things a bit looser in the corners, whereas a bit of rain might have helped with traction a bit? We have a few tracks around me where this is often the case.

There was a head wind for much of the final 20 elite riders. From the G20 drop down to triple treat the wind picked up, to go with he track which was drying out.

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I do remember hearing something along the lines that the changes had been canned due to lack of funds. Apparently to change it would cost in the vicinity of $40k and unless you flick CORC your credit card details I'm pretty sure it won't happen.
Well that is pretty awesome. The only thing on the entire track that the riders thought was completely unnecessary is going to remain. Oh well. If I had a spare 40K, sure i'd donate to have that stupid concept corrected. God knows why it would cost that much. I'll get up there with a rake hoe and do it for free, at least it would provide a closer more even race.

d_j1

Likes Dirt
A reputable source told me that Sam Hill broke the gate at the start and didn't move for at least five seconds because he didn't want to place for some reason...
Could it possibly have something to do with similair events a few years back when top riders weren't granted enough sponsor room on their Australian champs jerseys from CA and team managers told them not to place? or does that no longer happen?

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
Well that is pretty awesome. The only thing on the entire track that the riders thought was completely unnecessary is going to remain. Oh well. If I had a spare 40K, sure i'd donate to have that stupid concept corrected. God knows why it would cost that much. I'll get up there with a rake hoe and do it for free, at least it would provide a closer more even race.
I'll come too and bring my spade.

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
"Will be"? Read the last couple of issues of Dirt...
I have read Dirt and doesn't Steve Jones stick the boots in!
"Canberra World Cup was an event that should never have happened"......
"With the series having taken a turn for the worse late season, and been mostly decided on a Land Rover track in Australia - some pointed to the fact that the Australian organisers more or less f-ked their man over by plotting up an awful last part of the Canberra event - the riders headed for real mountains to return to some kind of grit. Schladming is fast, loose, challenging and pretty much the essence of what everyone believes to be a World Cup race. Pedalling down flat tracks and casing jumps on ten inch bikes certainly is not the vision riders or spectators want of this great sport. ....How different this was to Canberra dishwater."
Then the Greg Minnaar interview - Steve Jones : "What are your thoughts on Canberra, great you won obviously?" Greg Minnaar : "Thats not the point. It was horrible. It wasn't that great to race because of that last bit.....You guys saw it on tv and it wasn't cool, but I've spoken to the organisers there and they are going to change the gradient for next year."
Well there you go - Greg says he's been told it's gonna get changed, but now we hear rumours to the contrary - anyone from CORC who really knows what's happening care to comment?

whinge, whinge, whinge

I have read Dirt and doesn't Steve Jones stick the boots in!
"Canberra World Cup was an event that should never have happened"......
"With the series having taken a turn for the worse late season, and been mostly decided on a Land Rover track in Australia - some pointed to the fact that the Australian organisers more or less f-ked their man over by plotting up an awful last part of the Canberra event - the riders headed for real mountains to return to some kind of grit. Schladming is fast, loose, challenging and pretty much the essence of what everyone believes to be a World Cup race. Pedalling down flat tracks and casing jumps on ten inch bikes certainly is not the vision riders or spectators want of this great sport. ....How different this was to Canberra dishwater."
Then the Greg Minnaar interview - Steve Jones : "What are your thoughts on Canberra, great you won obviously?" Greg Minnaar : "Thats not the point. It was horrible. It wasn't that great to race because of that last bit.....You guys saw it on tv and it wasn't cool, but I've spoken to the organisers there and they are going to change the gradient for next year."
Well there you go - Greg says he's been told it's gonna get changed, but now we hear rumours to the contrary - anyone from CORC who really knows what's happening care to comment?
My grandmother could have sprinted the last 300m of the course!

Though I must admit in the wet she might have sworn a few times.

Haven't you guys heard of the GFC.

(However I still think they should have chosen the sweet track just over the creek from my place for the venue.)

Just a guess (i'm on the east coast of the US so i've only seen the track in videos), but i'm wondering if the dry conditions made things a bit looser in the corners, whereas a bit of rain might have helped with traction a bit? We have a few tracks around me where this is often the case.

There was a head wind for much of the final 20 elite riders. From the G20 drop down to triple treat the wind picked up, to go with he track which was drying out.
There was also a higher steeper scaffold start at the World Cup.

no_3

Likes Bikes
It bugs me when people start whining about tracks for having pedally sections, maybe people should accept that while we are riding pedal powered bikes, there will be a good chance of having pedally sections in tracks.

yes the bottom pedalling section sucks, but every now and then a track like this gets thrown in, and i'm sure more will pop up in the future. Im thinking of past World Cup tracks like...

Calgary 2004
Brazil 05/06
Willingen 05/06

I think people need to stop bagging it purely because they dont find pedalling enjoyable. I think it ads another element needed to be sucessful. To win at Stromlo you need the skill for the first 2 minutes of the track, and the fitness and strength (to finish off the run strong), which I think there should be more of in a pedal powered sport.

Look at the world cup results from canberra, no surprise results there, a very typical world cup podium.

Last edited:

Matto

Likes Bikes
It bugs me when people start whining about tracks for having pedally sections, maybe people should accept that while we are riding pedal powered bikes, there will be a good chance of having pedally sections in tracks.

yes the bottom pedalling section sucks, but every now and then a track like this gets thrown in, and i'm sure more will pop up in the future. Im thinking of past World Cup tracks like...

Calgary 2004
Brazil 05/06
Willingen 05/06

I think people need to stop bagging it purely because they dont find pedalling enjoyable. I think it ads another element needed to be sucessful. To win at Stromlo you need the skill for the first 2 minutes of the track, and the fitness and strength (to finish off the run strong), which I think there should be more of in a pedal powered sport.

Look at the world cup results from canberra, no surprise results there, a very typical world cup podium.
Last time i looked everyone had to ride the same course, right?

Different doesn't necessarily mean bad...

Plow King

Little bit.
I do remember hearing something along the lines that the changes had been canned due to lack of funds. Apparently to change it would cost in the vicinity of $40k and unless you flick CORC your credit card details I'm pretty sure it won't happen.
40k? Seriously, where the hell do they get these figures from? There are many awesome tracks around the place that don't cost 40k to add lines. Free if I recall.

...jim

skanky media ho
40k? Seriously, where the hell do they get these figures from? There are many awesome tracks around the place that don't cost 40k to add lines. Free if I recall.
I dunno if the numbers are right - but I hear they were talking about removing *a lot* of dirt to give the finish a big more drop... Bring in big machines and I imagine you could chew through 40K PDQ.

Plow King

Little bit.
I dunno if the numbers are right - but I hear they were talking about removing *a lot* of dirt to give the finish a big more drop... Bring in big machines and I imagine you could chew through 40K PDQ.
I know how they could save 40k... Move the world cup to a track with a hill instead of a mound. There are so many great tracks around that oculd double as a wc track. Awaba, Illinbah, Buller, Thredbo... That's just naming afew.

Last edited:

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I know how they could save 40k... Move the world cup to a track with a hill instead of a mound. There are so many great tracks around that oculd double as a wc track. Awaba, Illinbah, Buller, Thredbo...That's just naming afew.
We talking skiing WC? or.....?

When will people get it through there thick skulls that:

1. Contrary to popular belief, it actually snows at buller and thredbo during winter
2. You need to put in a bid to host a WC.

peanut

Likes Dirt
um, i found this on the uci site:

4.1.042 As far as possible, the course for cross-country, four cross and downhill events must be totally separate from that of all other events organised on the same site. If this is not the case, the training and race timetable must be drawn up so that the courses cannot be used simultaneously.

So i'm just thinking aloud here,
I was under the impression that the 4x and dh HAD to finish at the same spot, i certainly recall at the rotorua worlds there was a 15min walk between finish line of the 2 tracks. And had assumed they had gotten permission for this due to the various owners of the land.
So if this is correct there is no rule about not being able to have a seperate finish line for the Dh?.
So previously to finding this i was under the impression the combined finishes was a fact of life, if the above is correct then that isn't the case,unless of course there is a special World champs rule?, even then rotorua was allowed to have seperate finishes so a precedent has been set.

So say for arguments sake the Dh was made a little slower up around the top section then it could theoretically have a temporary finish at the 4x mound? and still come within the time restrictions, and remove the section creating the most controversy.

Certainly should be alot cheaper than getting the diggers in to enlarge the finish, which i would assume would still need the controversial long pedally bit to get to.

thoughts anyone?

tomdh

Likes Bikes
so many people say (including rennie) that Illinbah would the track most suited to host a world cup, as it has a fast open section, technical twisty rock/forest section and a few drops and jumps

peanut

Likes Dirt
so many people say (including rennie) that Illinbah would the track most suited to host a world cup, as it has a fast open section, technical twisty rock/forest section and a few drops and jumps
That may be true, and the GCMTBC have applied for a Wc at illinbah as the president mentioned some months ago in a thread.
However they couldn't meet certain criteria so the UCI didn't award them a round.