Need help seized hub to axle

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
Your can try heating the outer sleeve... (and try not to let the heat soak into the axle too much)

....or apply penetrant repeatedly for at least 24hrs and let it soak-in before attempting separation.
Wind a sacrificial nut onto the axle thread and "tap" the nut with a persuader to break the bond.

The hardest part will be trying to grip /hold the sleeve without damaging it.
Soft Jaws in the vice... maybe...
... Or vice grips with a thick rag protecting the alloy.

Looks like a fairly high probability of munting-the-fuck-out-of-it.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Use penetrant like CRC penetr8 or Maxima MPPL.

Then use vice to act as a platform for the outer sleeve, ie don't grip the axle, just close the jaws enough that the sleeve rests on them. Then tap with rubber mallet or soft face hammer.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Use penetrant like CRC penetr8 or Maxima MPPL.

Then use vice to act as a platform for the outer sleeve, ie don't grip the axle, just close the jaws enough that the sleeve rests on them. Then tap with rubber mallet or soft face hammer.

I'd be looking for a few washers to fit around the axle so the sleeve has even pressure all the way around, not just at either side where the jaws touch. Might be ok if it frees up easy, but you don't want jaw marks all over the end of the sleeve.

And if a soft mallet doesn't cut it, you can stick a nut on the bashing end and hit it with a steel hammer. Sometimes the percussion of a steel hammer is needed to break the initial bond, but definitely try rubber/plastic first.

It's not always that you can soak something in a container of WD40, I'd definitely take advantage of that!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
A 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission dexron3 is a lot better then any off the shelf penetrating fluids you can buy. Put in a sealed container with the part. Fumes are toxic

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
hold the axle sleeve in one hand and belt the axle with a block of wood or similar with the other
you are trying to 'shock' the axle from the sleeve, not belt the living piss out of it by mangling it with a lump hammer in a vise..
but that would be amusing for us at least
i'm going to go and lurk over in the FW thread and wait for the results. ;)

Hugsy

Likes Bikes
hold the axle sleeve in one hand and belt the axle with a block of wood or similar with the other
you are trying to 'shock' the axle from the sleeve, not belt the living piss out of it by mangling it with a lump hammer in a vise..
It needs more than a tap matw

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Got access to a big bench vice, like with 200mm opening between the jaws? Block of hardwood about 50mm thick, drill a 12mm hole through it, put it on one end of the axle, put the whole lot in the vice and wind it up slowly until you get it moving. Swap wood to opposite end several times if need be to work it loose so you can pull it out.

Hugsy

Likes Bikes
Got access to a big bench vice, like with 200mm opening between the jaws? Block of hardwood about 50mm thick, drill a 12mm hole through it, put it on one end of the axle, put the whole lot in the vice and wind it up slowly until you get it moving. Swap wood to opposite end several times if need be to work it loose so you can pull it out.
Worth a crack sounds decent damage wise as in it is unlikely to damage too much

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wrap in up tight with an inner tube. Lots of wraps as tight as possible and stick it into your work stand clamp.
Washer and a nut on top then wind down the nut and hopefully extract the axle.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I like this idea, but I suspect a big ass washer with a 12mm id would help.