Nerfonomics

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I'm actually starting to wonder if that was part of or the underlying purpose of the invasion: destabilise world markets, gum up exports of a huge range of stuff from fuel to food, then sit back and watch as the decadent capitalist markets crash and burn and a whole bunch of Africans starve.
Doubtful IMO. If they had been successful as they were with the annexation of Crimea, little would have changed. I personally think their largely unpunished actions of the annexation and blowing airliners out of the sky bolstered an increasingly delusional Putin to take the next step in securing his legacy. Don't forget that the Ukraine is considered the second most corrupt country in Europe (second to Russia) so probbaly wasnt expecting to get this sort of support from the rest of the world.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'm actually starting to wonder if that was part of or the underlying purpose of the invasion: destabilise world markets, gum up exports of a huge range of stuff from fuel to food, then sit back and watch as the decadent capitalist markets crash and burn and a whole bunch of Africans starve.
China is going to come out on top with all of this, every first-world nation is reliant on its production industry. I tried to buy some Japanese made parts for my diesel engine, that's who made them OME, looked over in the US and even they're selling Chinese produced stuff. The Japanese made parts that are available, are few and thin on the ground and over the moon in price.

All the things I had seen happen while I was in Europe years ago (high fuel prices, stagnant wages, importation of cheap fruit and veg causing local markets to close down) are starting to happen here, it's like we're a few years behind them.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
China is going to come out on top with all of this, every first-world nation is reliant on its production industry.
Time will tell. The US are massively trying to fix thsi problem and bring stuff back in house but if they don't stand a chance with their abysmal wages, then we have no chance. Australia's economic success will depend on how the commodity prices play out and how many new migrants we can accommodate to keep it ticking over.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Time will tell. The US are massively trying to fix thsi problem and bring stuff back in house but if they don't stand a chance with their abysmal wages, then we have no chance. Australia's economic success will depend on how the commodity prices play out and how many new migrants we can accommodate to keep it ticking over.
just need america to take a few pages from Chinas book. Use prisoners, clean up the homeless off teh street and put them into work camps and then maybe turn death row into a "work for your life" reality TV, where making a mistake has dire consequences. Ad a voting system for what type of death to inflict and use all the telecom proceeds from the voting to pay better wages to the non deathrow employees. I reckon thats a good start to fixing the proble, :D

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
China is going to come out on top with all of this, every first-world nation is reliant on its production industry.
China is not without its own weaknesses. They might be the world's factory (for now - plenty of companies shifting to cheaper Asian countries) but they're also a net food importer and given how messed up they are with pollution it's hard to see how they can rectify that. Demographically they're also about to fall off a cliff (although you could make that argument about plenty of countries currently, but China is faring worse).

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
just need america to take a few pages from Chinas book. Use prisoners, clean up the homeless off teh street and put them into work camps and then maybe turn death row into a "work for your life" reality TV, where making a mistake has dire consequences. Ad a voting system for what type of death to inflict and use all the telecom proceeds from the voting to pay better wages to the non deathrow employees. I reckon thats a good start to fixing the proble, :D
So, Idiocracy?

Flow-Rider

Burner
China is not without its own weaknesses. They might be the world's factory (for now - plenty of companies shifting to cheaper Asian countries) but they're also a net food importer and given how messed up they are with pollution it's hard to see how they can rectify that. Demographically they're also about to fall off a cliff (although you could make that argument about plenty of countries currently, but China is faring worse).
We'll have to wait and see but China is the powerhouse for cheap sourced labor ready to go, that's hard to beat in the industrial world. India is probably the only place that could give them a run for their money but it's pretty much in the same predicament.

jrewing

Eats Squid
Had 2 prices rises from my Container suppliers this year.. big rises too.
just saved 20k annually finding a new manufacturer. I’m very motivated against anyone who’s put there prices up unsubstantiated amounts.
But many things are monopolised or it’s industries that Collude. Much greed about

I think Small Medium business needs large tax breaks to stimulate, develop and compete against larger Corps. That’s where the competition can come from and bring prices down across the board. Also pay higher wages.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Slightly off topic....

Regarding putting prices up by unsubstantiated amounts, one of my clients had a clause in their service agreement that gave them the right to audit my books to ensure that the rate I was charging them was reasonable. That one lasted about 2 seconds once my lawyer saw it. I doubt they would allow me to examine their books and capability to pay whatever I want to charge them! It took me over 6 months of legal wrangling to get that (and other ridiculous clauses) sorted out, and every time they would try something else on, my hourly rate increased.

Ironically, they are one of my best clients now.

I have put my rates up 10% this year. My expenses increased by more than that. PI insurance was particularly memorable with a 30% hike. Cunts!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Had 2 prices rises from my Container suppliers this year.. big rises too.
just saved 20k annually finding a new manufacturer. I’m very motivated against anyone who’s put there prices up unsubstantiated amounts.
But many things are monopolised or it’s industries that Collude. Much greed about

I think Small Medium business needs large tax breaks to stimulate, develop and compete against larger Corps. That’s where the competition can come from and bring prices down across the board. Also pay higher wages.
Try to explain to a customer why this bit of round nylon on a lifting device costs so much. You can get them cheaper from overseas, the original overseas retailer will not sell to you, but you can buy them from overseas 3rd parties but you don't know if they're genuine or been constructed right. If you have any type of failure with the lifting device, health & safety immediately try to blame the new parts that have been installed. And what's worse is that most of the time, you have to modify them to make them fit properly.