Nerfonomics

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
Anything up to 3.5% seems quite low to me.
Surely nobody believed the RBA ?
But then I remember 17% (and am not an optimistic idiot).

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Don't worry everything is normal.

Switch on the telly this morning which happened to come straight onto one of the wonderful finance segments of a morning show.
'what age should my child get their first credit card'
FFS
There all these services now which you can load pocket money on to cards etc. they seem kind of cool, but i see these as dark indoctrinations into systems that keep people chained to debt. However, given that physical currency will eventually be replaced, I think the sooner the better they get one and are educated in what it means. It will be difficult for parents/kids that arent already doing financial education at home to make th ebest of it, but thems the breaks i guess.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There all these services now which you can load pocket money on to cards etc. they seem kind of cool, but i see these as dark indoctrinations into systems that keep people chained to debt. However, given that physical currency will eventually be replaced, I think the sooner the better they get one and are educated in what it means. It will be difficult for parents/kids that arent already doing financial education at home to make th ebest of it, but thems the breaks i guess.
My kids do just fine using / learning banking having their own 'savings' accounts. There is no need for them to have credit available in order for me to teach them how it all works.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
My kids do just fine using / learning banking having their own 'savings' accounts. There is no need for them to have credit available in order for me to teach them how it all works.
what im describing is not credit, just a card vs physical money. still debit, still attached to a account of sorts. The obvious future danger here is that cards are just seen as cards and no differentiation is made between a debit card and a credit card. Thats the difference that needs to be taught. I dontknow when physical currency will go, but Id guess it will be in our lifetimes.

jrewing

Eats Squid
How’s Christmas retail going to look this year?
I’m seeing way more sales on atm. A sign that they need pumping up.
An unemployment rise in time anyone feel?
Interesting times with this downward cycle.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I’m seeing way more sales on atm. A sign that they need pumping up.
An unemployment rise in time anyone feel?
I think the sales are more carryover from EOFY stock - pretty common to have big clearances in July - August. Some of the bike ones (i.e. Giant) have been a bit eye opening though given what we've experienced in the last couple of years. Also seeing a lot more bike shops pushing finance which could indicate sales are slowing a bit.

As for unemployment rise, I think it's inevitable unfortunately. A cycle of interest rate rises pushes costs up and causes job losses typically.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
'what age should my child get their first credit card'
FFS
Both my boys have a MC debit card that is loaded on their phones as Apple Pay.
The card is attached to my commbank and in my name, it has $100 limit and refuses the transaction when it reaches zero $.

Every time they buy a frozen coke or stunner meal when out shuttling at the weekend, I get a notification of how much and where it has spent.

They have had those cards about 3yrs, youngest just turned 16 yesterday so around 13yrs old for my youngest.