New AM wheel set help

Hey everyone

ive been really unhappy with the wheels on my bike so time to spend some money.

problem is I cant figure out which ones I should be going for as there are so many to choose from.
my criteria is
they need to me AM orientated and be capable of handling rocky terrain
tubeless
fit 2.1-2.4 tyres
no more than $2500

I was really keen on the Easton haven carbon but there has been some bad reviews on the rear hubs which has me worried.
the other ones I had considered were
Reynolds AM
dt swiss ex17500 or xm1550

any advise or suggestions would be appreciative

Last edited:
yeah I did but was really don't know if I can convince myself for another grand
the ones ive looked at are $1300-$2000

I havnt seen the enve for under 3grand

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had good experiences with Mavic Crossmax SX wheels and Shimano XT and XTR Trail wheelsets.

ADD

Likes Dirt
Even though I've got a set they're kinda overkill and still freaking expensive compared to the competition.

I also looked at the weights on jenson's website. My front weighed 685g and rear 799g. What's going on there?

My previous wheels were the m785 Xt's. they were great wheels and I put them through a lot. They just liked rolling the Hans dampf's off the rims on hard corners. They had no manners and like to burp.

I know someone with the Mavic's that were mentioned and they absolutely love them.

the guys in rotorua last week were all for the stans flow ex with hope hubs as well but my lbs talking me out of them.

I like the crossmax sx wheels but wasn't there issues with there rear hubs?

chrischris

Likes Dirt
If

If your LBS is trying to talk you out of a product, ask why.

More importantly, do they stock that product? Profit margins play a part in their advice.

At least Hope availability is increasing in Aus.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Chris King hubs on Stans Flows or Flow EX...

The hubs are the fantastic, bearings are silky smooth and the engagement system is perfection.

The rims are light, wide enough and setup tubeless very well from my experience... If you wanna spend that budget, i'd be pretty keen to try the ENVE AM rims for sure... your money though.

I would never get a proprietary wheelset with gimmiky spokes etc, i've built my last few sets of wheels and they have been the best wheels i've ever owned, build them properly even and tight, i've haven't touched any of the wheels AT ALL since i built them. If this interests you all i did was read this book and bingo i built my own wheels. It feels good to actually build every single thing on your bike too.

willsy01

Eats Squid
the guys in rotorua last week were all for the stans flow ex with hope hubs as well but my lbs talking me out of them.

Of course they are......they're seeing dollar signs. The most expensive option isn't always the best.

Ivan

Eats Squid
The new syntace wheels with the extra wide rims would be worth look. 28mm internal width, 1680g, $1200 USD.

Last edited:

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Of course they are......they're seeing dollar signs. The most expensive option isn't always the best.
Also, the cost of Hope hubs from Bikesportz is more than CRC. Got my Hope Evo's to Mavic 729's for my STP for $450 delivered. Was going to get everything from the Aussie distro's but when I added it all up, I would have spent about $450 just in parts with no postage from distro's. Would have also had to build the wheels up myself.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had the original versions and the bearings required regular maintenance, but if you did it they worked well. I have the version after with the white, upgraded rear hub and grey rim - the rear hub engages faster and has required no maintenance so far but I still check it every now and then. I think the current version with the white rims is a cosmetic change only.

The Syntace wheels look interesting.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
I echo the Hope Pro2 Evo's on Flow EX. You can currently get a set of them from Wiggle for under $400 delivered. Hell, at that price it's almost cheaper than buying the components locally!

I'm running DT240s on Crests, but will be changing out to FlowEX soon enough (just waiting for stock to be available at Jet Black), as the Crests aren't quite strong enough (figured I'd try the light option, why not?)

But, if money were no object, the ENVEs would be a pretty sweet wheelset!

D_Nine

My LBS recommended I spend more on good quality hubs , Chris King ,Hope and even stupid loud E13 were mentioned. The Stans Flow EX also came up. Carbon rims are great however with wheel sizes up in the air they suggested I keep my options open. A quality hub can always be respoked into a different rim, 26" , 650B or even dare I say 29r !! Off the shelf Mavic SX also came up.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Save yourself bulk coin and get some Stans Flow Ex on Hope hubs......
I agree....hubs are the best ie. converitable between axle sizes so are future proof or back compatible..and Stans rims are what you need for reliable tubeless setups.

Myself, I won't be bothering with carbon rims till their price comes to within 20% of alloys....better things to spend your $'s on.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
I agree....hubs are the best ie. converitable between axle sizes so are future proof or back compatible..and Stans rims are what you need for reliable tubeless setups.

I just picked up a set of Hope pro 2 evo/ Stans Flow EX from wiggle with their 20% off sale for $334 delivered!

bargain I reckon.

thanks for all your advise guys (keep it coming)

had put the custom wheel sets in the too hard basket but looks like a good option.

are the CK hubs worth double the hope pro 2's?
ive read they engage a little quicker but don't see to much negative stuff on either