shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
What are they?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Gamuk Bikes.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Gamuk Bikes.

That dh bike looks a bit like a BMW, which is hawt!

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Will be interesting to see if it can be retrofitted to existing gearboxes and if it shifts better under load, which is what a lot of people complain about with the current grip shift...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Will be interesting to see if it can be retrofitted to existing gearboxes and if it shifts better under load, which is what a lot of people complain about with the current grip shift...
From the brief fireroad spin I had on your Katipo, shifting under load seemed like a non-issue. How do you find it on the trails?

I'd reckon the retrofit should be possible, but who knows how they'll design it... :confused:

wkkie

From the brief fireroad spin I had on your Katipo, shifting under load seemed like a non-issue. How do you find it on the trails?
Still, very occasionally, I might get slightly stuck on going to the easier gear, either between 9-8 or 5-4, but that's a rarity now and easily sorted when I wake back up again. :p

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
new gearbox bike!!! :cool:

I was emailing some companies in 2008 gathering stp files for a frame I was designing.
Ive got Karl Nicolai's email address if you want to see if that still works

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
new gearbox bike!!! :cool:

I was emailing some companies in 2008 gathering stp files for a frame I was designing.
Ive got Karl Nicolai's email address if you want to see if that still works
Biggest gripe with the ION 16 GPI is the lack of bottle mounts, a Saturn 16 GPI would somewhat rectify that.

Also, feel free to e-mail Nicolai and ask them if they're going to make a Saturn 16 GPI. When I asked the response was underwhelming to say the least...

wkkie

I've got no experience other than a little window shopping, but I reckon Cavalerie out of France look pretty tasty. They use Effigear though...

View attachment 400474
Yep. That's tied to their original gearbox. No Pinion able to be fitted to that one.

Their new box, the Mimic has the same mounting as the Pinion box, but uses a trigger shifter instead of the grip shift.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I've got no experience other than a little window shopping, but I reckon Cavalerie out of France look pretty tasty. They use Effigear though...

View attachment 400474
They look nice, but I sure as hell wouldn't be keen on pedalling a bike that actually forces the linkage to compress with every pedal stroke. (Chainstay pivot is concentric to the output gear, so no chain force to be had via an off-set pivot around the chainline onto the top of the chainring).

This is from an old model, but gives the jist of the issue. Generally speaking, around ~105% is considered a "neutral" pedaling bike, ~90% considered low anti-squat and ~130%+ considered high amounts of anti-squat.

This graph is from a Cavalarie Anakin from 2015, but same basic issue:

Might make a sweet downhill bike, but for anything involving pedaling I'll pass thanks. Not to mention the shifting "idiosyncrasies" of the Effigear box.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Owing to some personal stuff that belongs in the black dog thread this project ended up on the back burner until the recent release of the high pivot Trek Slash reignited my interest in new bike day but that pricing is insane for a run of the mill bike. Still tempted to pull the trigger on a Trinity (at least you can see where the money is going) but had a scroll back through this thread and decided to reach out to 77Designz to get an idea on when the next batch of Kavenz VHP G frames would likely go into production... received an email back from Giacomo saying that he has a medium and a large in stock.

So what's everyone's thoughts? Geometry on the medium seems comparable to the 2020 Trek Remedy it will replace allowing for the trend to longer and slacker geometry over recent years.
RemedyRemedyVHPG MXVHPG MX
150mm160mm160mm170mm
Actual Frame SizeM 17.5"M 17.5"ML
Geometry PositionLowHigh
(A)Seat tube41.9cm41.9cm420mm450mm
(B) Seat tube angle68.0 °68.5 °
Effective STA74.2 °74.7 °77.5 °77.5 °
(C) Head tube length10.0cm10.0cm110mm110mm
(D) Head angle65.6 °66.1 °64.0 °64.0 °
(E) Effective top tube58.8cm58.6cm598mm618mm
(F) Bottom bracket height34.9cm35.6cm343mm343mm
(G) Bottom bracket drop1.6cm0.94cm34mm34mm
(H) Chainstay length43.5cm43.3cm419mm419mm
(I) Offset4.6cm4.6cm
(J) Trail11.5cm11.2cm
(K) Wheelbase116.7cm116.6cm1223mm1243mm
(L) Standover76.6cm77.1cm
(M) Frame reach42.0cm42.6cm460mm480mm
(N) Frame stack59.2cm58.8cm639mm639mm

The kinematics section of their website is informative, it states that the Kavenz has a good pedaling platform owing to the design of anti-squat and pedal-kickback being optimised for the gear ratios. I'm wondering how much this will be affected with the Pinion installed assuming that I would run 1:1 chainring to sprocket?

@yuley95 @frenchman and any other Kavenz owners out there how is the pedal bob if you're in roughly a 1:1 gearing? Any other idiosyncrasies I should be wary of?

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
@yuley95 @frenchman and any other Kavenz owners out there how is the pedal bob if you're in roughly a 1:1 gearing? Any other idiosyncrasies I should be wary of?
brake routing on the chainstay doesn’t work well with Shimano 4 pot brakes, although I think this has been updated since I got the frame. Adjustable seat stays have come out now I think.
acros headset comes with a plastic compression ring which is extra shit.
Get the steel idler for extra longevity.

nothing else, best bike I’ve owned still. Thing goes harrrrrdddddd.

wkkie

Geometry looks good. Just a shame the Kavenz doesn't to a belt drive option and they've still got a "derailleur" hanging off the rear wheel.

Haven't given any more thought to the Nicolai option?

I'm still enjoying the Zerode, but an option that isn't carbon would be nice.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I’m running an EXT coil and not bothering using the climb switch because pedal bob is not an issue. This is in climbing gear for me so not 1:1 (more like 3:5). I dont think it would change too much though.

As @frenchman says, the internal rear brake routing is a bit of a faff but I’m sure they updated it to run Shimano brakes fine. I use Magura.

I got the Enduro Maxhit headset with my frame so I have no issues with plastic compression rings or anything - it’s all top quality stuff and guaranteed for life (!).

In your geo chart, the actually seat angle of the Kavenz could be put in at around 75. It’s very close to the effective angle which makes a difference in terms of shortening the top tube in comparison to something like the remedy (with an actual of 68) when seat is at full extension.

All up, I’ve found it to be an excellent bike, I’ve been thrashing the shit out of it in Canada the past 6 weeks and it’s delivered every time. In particular, I’m finding that it really thrives in the steep tech around nelson. Pedals up these massive hills well and has a nice balance of planted yet manoeuvrable for the steep loamy, rooty, rocky descents. They are generally tight but open up on occasion for fast sections. As mentioned, I’m running EXT Storia and Era. Storia is golden from day one. Era takes some setting up but I really like it. Definitely a firmer feeling fork that likes to stay in it’s mid stroke but so controlled.

Gia is a good guy in terms of answering question etc which is cool