New Bike Park for Sydney - Glenworth Valley

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's the same bit of track with the second pic zoomed in on a corner :(

I'd be a good idea for them to post up the 120km trail map. Could then have an arrow saying "we are building this / these trails now" and an arrow pointing to the photo location.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Hey Burners

Rather than starting a new thread and there seems to be a few in the know here but does anyone here know the laws concerning advocacy groups disclosing private interests with grant money?

I've been put in a situation where an advocacy group for mountain bikes riders has contacted me and asked if I would show them around a particular park but there's a few problems I can see with this, 1. is that the trails aren't sanctioned and haven't been for many years but there's a conservation group that are already currently looking after the park that don't mind us riding there, we're only a small group as these trails don't appeal to the wider community MTBers but the real worrying one is that this advocacy group has done barely nothing for MTBers in the past and the two main players in advocacy group are builders from a large development company to which they haven't disclosed to anyone.

As far as I'm aware, it was one of their friends that engaged them after a new unsanctioned trail was closed down but the park is full of many other trails and nobody else has come forwards to complain about it. There's lots of other trail care groups in the area that are struggling for grants and they've put a lot of their own time into the trail networks and MTB community itself with things such as races but these blokes have done virtually nothing. So by now you can get where I'm coming from.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
^ that's the kind of shit that I like to avoid @Flow-Rider. Past personal experience shows that if the grant money isn't there and flowing to them, they drop it like it's hot. That's not really advocacy is it? Better the money goes to an independent body with established transparent decision making processes, like a registered club, for spending.

Flow-Rider

Burner
@pink poodle
The cunts have already done this in another park, built an unsanctioned trail, fought the local council not to close it (got the hero status from the endurobros) and now the trail is falling apart pretty bad and there's no funding to maintain it. The existing trail care will not touch it and don't have the man power or the funds to look after what is already there. I smell a big rat.

Last edited:

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Burners

Rather than starting a new thread and there seems to be a few in the know here but does anyone here know the laws concerning advocacy groups disclosing private interests with grant money?

I've been put in a situation where an advocacy group for mountain bikes riders has contacted me and asked if I would show them around a particular park but there's a few problems I can see with this, 1. is that the trails aren't sanctioned and haven't been for many years but there's a conservation group that are already currently looking after the park that don't mind us riding there, we're only a small group as these trails don't appeal to the wider community MTBers but the real worrying one is that this advocacy group has done barely nothing for MTBers in the past and the two main players in advocacy group are builders from a large development company to which they haven't disclosed to anyone.

As far as I'm aware, it was one of their friends that engaged them after a new unsanctioned trail was closed down but the park is full of many other trails and nobody else has come forwards to complain about it. There's lots of other trail care groups in the area that are struggling for grants and they've put a lot of their own time into the trail networks and MTB community itself with things such as races but these blokes have done virtually nothing. So by now you can get where I'm coming from.
Whilst it does seem pretty stinky from what you've said maybe give them the benefit of the doubt, lay out your concerns and see what they say. If they ignore you and press on you have your answer, if they take what you say on board and then proceed in an open manner then you have a win with some new trails etc. Maybe I'm being naive but any chance you can get some new trails is worth at least some consideration!!!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Whilst it does seem pretty stinky from what you've said maybe give them the benefit of the doubt, lay out your concerns and see what they say. If they ignore you and press on you have your answer, if they take what you say on board and then proceed in an open manner then you have a win with some new trails etc. Maybe I'm being naive but any chance you can get some new trails is worth at least some consideration!!!
I have asked some questions already and the answers didn't sound too good so far, they can't seem to give me any straight answers, "we have no funding and we can't do anything, etc, etc".

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have asked some questions already and the answers didn't sound too good so far, they can't seem to give me any straight answers, "we have no funding and we can't do anything, etc, etc".
Right well unfortunately it seems there's the answer. Pity mate. Why does everything and everyone have to be so fucking underhanded!!!!

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Anyone reached out to say Flow or AMBmag to see if they could do an article on the current and future state to get rid of all the rumours?

I for one haven't backed this for a number of reasons posted in this thread across time...but I'd happily do so with some factual guidance.

Reactions: T.3

T.3

Likes Dirt
Anyone reached out to say Flow or AMBmag to see if they could do an article on the current and future state to get rid of all the rumours?

I for one haven't backed this for a number of reasons posted in this thread across time...but I'd happily do so with some factual guidance.
Good idea

Flow-Rider

Burner
Right well unfortunately it seems there's the answer. Pity mate. Why does everything and everyone have to be so fucking underhanded!!!!
I need to do some more digging but I'm finding out that a couple of local club mtb members are showing interest which is a bit of a relief. I refused to show them around and they got someone else to do it.

I really don't want to throw anyone under the bus ATM and I'd rather not get involved with the political side of MTB.

Last edited:

T.3

Likes Dirt
It appears that there is quite a bit of dirt getting moved around in an official capacity from the north of Sydney to the Central Coast. Glenworth, Warrimoo and Bare Creek.