NEW Intense DH Bike: 951

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ill play devils advocate, I think it looks terrible and that intense have built their modern DH image on monocoque frames. To use this bike as their flag ship would not be a good move by Steb.
Yeah, but full monocoques have drawbacks, namely being very expensive to produce (formes and welding), alignment and being noisy as fark.
They're still monocoque 'tubes', but will be easier to modify/change if redesigns are required.
Sounds like they're also trying to increase production volumes (been an issue for them for some time), and get the prices more competitive.

powley

Clever... and hetrosexual!
Anyone????
my understanding/dope view on monocoque tubes:

instead of the usual tube ends being welded to other tube ends, monocoques frames are one piece cut in half... well, there made with two halves separate.
then it's welded together with a seem down the middle, like most easter eggs.

some companies that do it:

intense
specialized
GT
trek
foes
jamis
scott
santa cruz
ibis

oh and while i was searching i found this cool little clip explaining how hydro forming works

Last edited:

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
my understanding/dope view on monocoque tubes:

instead of the usual tube ends being welded to other tube ends, monocoques frames are one piece cut in half... well, there made with two halves separate.
then it's welded together with a seem down the middle, like most easter eggs.
Cheers
I had a feeling thats what it was. What seems the be the issue with that style of frame making? Im guessing that theres some disadvantage is some peoples views. Personally i think it looks great, even though looks dont really mean shit at the end of you race run.

top_dog

Likes Dirt
Yeah, found that a little later...!
Wondered how they'd hydroformed the downtube in house/locally...
So it's moncoque top and downtube...
You can do a monocoque without hydro-forming. You can stamp the two halves like a V10 or an M1. Or fold it out of sheet like Orange do.

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
As we have switched across to a little bit of OT production discussion - anybody heard of using Al-Li alloys for bikes. I was doing some research on aerospace technology and came across this:

Li is the lightest metallic element and each 1% of Li reduces alloy density by about 3% and increases modulus by about 6%
• 7-10% Lower density.
• 10-15% Higher Modulus.
• Excellent fatigue and cryogenic toughness properties.
• Higher stiffness.
• Superior fatigue crack growth resistance.
• Reduced ductility
• Low fracture toughness

Sparkman

Likes Dirt
As we have switched across to a little bit of OT production discussion - anybody heard of using Al-Li alloys for bikes. I was doing some research on aerospace technology and came across this:

Li is the lightest metallic element and each 1% of Li reduces alloy density by about 3% and increases modulus by about 6%
• 7-10% Lower density.
• 10-15% Higher Modulus.
• Higher stiffness.
• Reduced ductility
• Low fracture toughness

A couple of extra factors: approx three times the cost. Extremely difficult to weld. 2090 al/li alloy is suitable as a 7075-T6 replacement, but suffers from poor welds using traditional arc welding techniques. Apparently laser welding can overcome these difficulties.

That seems like a lot of extra cost for a 10% weight reduction in the frame.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
• 7-10% Lower density.
• 10-15% Higher Modulus.
• Higher stiffness.
• Reduced ductility
• Low fracture toughness
Higher Modulus of what? Elasticity?

If its has a higher modulus of elasticity, wouldnt that have a negative effect on its stiffness properties?

GDonehue

Likes Dirt
Higher Modulus of what? Elasticity?

If its has a higher modulus of elasticity, wouldnt that have a negative effect on its stiffness properties?
That's what I would have thought - but then this paper mentioned higher stiffness... Anyway - at mega bucks for only a 10% saving...

BOT - I like the look of the 951. Interesting to see if it gets a run at the Worlds this year over the M6 due to its weight.

jakey_trickster

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I fell in love the moment I saw the 951.
I'm going to buy one one day.
It's sexy, light, and it's an intense.
Donen't Get any better.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You can do a monocoque without hydro-forming. You can stamp the two halves like a V10 or an M1. Or fold it out of sheet like Orange do.
That was my point – I thought it was a hydroformed tube due to the curving, and not the usual pressed monocoque construction they've used for decades.
It was then pointed out it was a monocoque, which I hadn't seen in detail shots at that point.

Maurice.

Banned
hopefully a couple of months......
My mate was telling me that the 951 is going to come out early next year/ christmas this years, because they are just going to let the intense team take em out for a spin this season to test them out, and hold the anticipation for all the people that want it.

Im pretty sure 9.5 lb the equivilent to 4.27kg?? if my maths is correct, making this a reaaaaalllllyy light frame. whats it made out of???

Jzx90

Likes Dirt
My mate was telling me that the 951 is going to come out early next year/ christmas this years, because they are just going to let the intense team take em out for a spin this season to test them out, and hold the anticipation for all the people that want it.

Im pretty sure 9.5 lb the equivilent to 4.27kg?? if my maths is correct, making this a reaaaaalllllyy light frame. whats it made out of???
Easton EA 6X 6061 aluminum

They look pretty trick. The version with G3 dropouts would be nice.

jakey_trickster

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What I found out.

I just found out from my dealer that they will be released on the 1st of July and will cost $4800!

Less than the SOCOM and M6 BULLSHIT :rolleyes: