New Laptop??

wombat

Lives in a hole
if you look around there really is no better laptop's than MacBooks, I dont care how much your a PC fan.
That's the sort of generalisation that gets spouted by so many fanboys. Sure, the build quality and design of the MBPs is very, very nice, but the range of spec options available is limited, and there's no way that you can say a MBP is the best solution for everyone out there, they just won't suit all purposes.

The 'best' laptop for someone is going to be entirely dependent on their needs, and there's no way that it's always going to be a mac.

willsy01

Eats Squid
.....and if you look around there really is no better laptop's than MacBooks, I dont care how much your a PC fan.
Oh you mac fanbois really make me chuckle......you really do. Guess which 10 machines cause the most trouble in my 700 seat environment?

Just get a Dell. They used to be rubbish but are pumping out some really good machines these days. Just spec it up with extended warranty.......keep an eye on ozbargain.com.au, it's EOFY so everybody is putting on deals to clear stock.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Just get a Dell. They used to be rubbish but are pumping out some really good machines these days. Just spec it up with extended warranty.......keep an eye on ozbargain.com.au, it's EOFY so everybody is putting on deals to clear stock.
This is a bit off-topic I guess, but man you get a lot of machine for your money these days.
Last week I ordered a Vostro for my uncle, only a basic machine but it only needs to do basic stuff; 15.6", i3, 4Gb ram, 500Gb HDD win7 pro 64, and their next business day warranty: $540. That's getting close to netbook money!

willsy01

Eats Squid
This is a bit off-topic I guess, but man you get a lot of machine for your money these days.
Last week I ordered a Vostro for my uncle, only a basic machine but it only needs to do basic stuff; 15.6", i3, 4Gb ram, 500Gb HDD win7 pro 64, and their next business day warranty: $540. That's getting close to netbook money!
Yup, and they're decent machines these days.

We've got a mix of Optiplex GX7XX SFF desktops and Latitude E4300/6400 laptops. The hardware failure rate is almost non-existent. We've replaced a couple of hard drives and a few wireless cards in the last couple of years.

They're hard to fault these days.......at any level.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
a little bit over your budget, but i purchased one of this a few months ago.
http://www.msy.com.au/product.jsp?productId=7559

i didnt get it from MSY, i actualy got it from a local computer store, for less then the MSY price, and with 8gb ram.

its the fastest thing ive ever used. the other day i had 5 A0 PS files open (document size, apprantly 300mb each what ever that means), two instances of archicad, artlantis rendering, and it still made no difference to me using word and firefox.

cant believe how quick and cheap laptops are these days. my little dell cost almost double this, and isnt even near an 1/6 capable. it is 3 years old through.

to top it all off, for a 16inch laptop, i get about 4 hours of general computing with out a charge.

Its one down fall is, it is VERY plasticy, i came from a 12inch dell, which was all aluminum, i get very worried im going to smash the casing when its in my bag. ah and the charger plug is on the rear of the laptop... stupid design, defiantly going to snap it off one day.

EDIT: should add, i got this the week the i7 gen 2, were released, and this was the only laptop i could get that had them. i notice now, every brand seems to have a similar spec in the same price range. wish i had waited, a bit longer to get one i actually liked the look off, but i needed one that week!

Last edited:

chris95

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies

I went to Harvey Norman tonight for a night time sale and picked up a HP Pavillion G6-1031tx for $740, very happy with it so far and it is very fast. Has all my requirements so im happy, also got some accessores very cheap aswell;)