New rules for cyclists in NSW - Safe passing distances, but massive fines as well....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Can you even be stopped and have "random" checks performed on you at all? I thought there had to be grounds for reasonable suspicion. We don't live in a police state. If a police officer stops you and asks for ID or to check the standards sticker on your helmet, can't you just say "Unless I am under arrest I'd prefer to continue on my way thanks" ?
You'd think so...but they always find a reason when they are in the mood.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Not in car there's not. If your driving a car the police have the power to see your licence. If your walking down the street they do not.

Most states are the same
View attachment 323993
See clause 1?

Actions under road transport legislation. Means once they have pulled you over they can ask for a license. They cannot just pull you over to check your license - this is the exact reason that random breath testing came out - ie they then had the official legislation to pull over a random car to do a breath test, then as an implied thing the option of asking you to show them a license.

In every single case of being pulled over by the police , you will be told for what purpose you are being pulled over - that will be either an alleged offence or an RBT - they will not ever say, this is a license check, because that is contrary to the law.

I realise this is a subtlty of limited effect because they can simply do an RBT (as long as their breathalizer is on their person) BUT it makes a difference for cyclists because there is no right to RBT a cyclist

jrewing

Eats Squid
Harold scruby... Once that miserable chunt dies the better things will be..

I called the pedestrian council once and asked for him, they put him on to my surprise... I gave him the appropriate serving he deserved.

Ivan

Eats Squid
They cannot just pull you over to check your license
Theres a hundred reasons they can make up on the spot to pull you over.
Then they check your licence.

Do we really want that happening on bikes?

Last edited:

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Got the appropriate bell on your mountain bike on that short trip to the trails?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid

No mate, we don't .

The reality is just that you won't have to carry ID untill you break the law in front of a copper - but bunny hopping over a median strip will be difficult to find a charge for , so he'll do you for not carrying a licence instead, or if you give attitude you'll get both

So don't dress like a houso (yes you poodle), when you see a highway patrol, behave yourself, and I'm sure no copper will pull you over, then lie about it just in order to check if you have ID. His career will be short if he manages a few complaints along those lines in a year

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What are kids meant to do.

You are only allowed to ride on footpaths up to and including age 12. Then you need to be on the roads which means you need photo ID. So for people without a drivers license the ID required I assume would be a NSW Photo Card which has the same level of identification as a drivers license. However you have to be 16 years old to apply for it!

So for 3 years teenagers need to break the law and ride without ID.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
No mate, we don't .

The reality is just that you won't have to carry ID untill you break the law in front of a copper - but bunny hopping over a median strip will be difficult to find a charge for , so he'll do you for not carrying a licence instead, or if you give attitude you'll get both

So don't dress like a houso (yes you poodle), when you see a highway patrol, behave yourself, and I'm sure no copper will pull you over, then lie about it just in order to check if you have ID. His career will be short if he manages a few complaints along those lines in a year
Ahhhhh...riding in a suit again.

Yeah, well, bells and reflectors - given they don't give a flying fuck about this now, I'm expecting the apathy will continue
Some do...and each item can attract it's own fine. Adds up pretty quick, or so I was told once upon a time by a kind and helpful police officer.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, well, bells and reflectors - given they don't give a flying fuck about this now, I'm expecting the apathy will continue
I've had a NSW cop have a go at me about the bell once, without a fine, albeit.

He even called it a "dinger". I shit you not.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Ahhhhh...riding in a suit again.

Some do...and each item can attract it's own fine. Adds up pretty quick, or so I was told once upon a time by a kind and helpful police officer.
So, have they ever actually fined you for something, and hiw much was it?

My bell, horn or similar warning device is me yelling "FAAAARK!" Or back pedalling hope pro free hubs - both more effective than an anemic "ting".....

Idea; can air horn, group ride down Ftrack....

Cropduster

Likes Dirt
You dont find it ridiculous that it is now an offense simply jump on a bike to go a couple of quiet blocks to school to pick up my kid without id? An activity that requires no licence and for which there is no evidence where lack of id is in any way a significant issue?

Take a look at the round table members who supported this. The AGF headed by a liberal party staffer and harold scruby, a pedestrian advocate who himself mowed down pedestrians. Hardly good company that duncan keeps there. Even the government body who supposedly backs this admits there is 0 evidence for any of these changes.
Add to the other attacks on cyclists by Duncan and anyone on any form of bike who does not actively oppose this is irresponsible in my opinion.
Yep, i do, but i also believe that road cyclists have made a rod for their own back in a way, not that they are wholly responsible, but the behaviour of a small minority has upset plenty and someone has seen political gain to be had. It's the world we live in, laws cater for the lowest common denominator, always have, we can be outraged and incensed but at the end of the day i doubt coppers are rubbing their hands together at their local donut shop saying "we're gonna nail these cycling fuckers now!"and really, there's one law that supersedes all others when it comes to interacting with the police, it's called "failing to follow a police directive" or some such nonsense, it's their "i'm the law and what i say goes" law, and there's no argument for that.

Also worth noting that almost no one rides without a phone these days, it has strava on it after all, and there's 50 times more personal information to be had from that, including GPS tracking on everywhere you go.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I've had a NSW cop have a go at me about the bell once, without a fine, albeit.

He even called it a "dinger". I shit you not.
Nah mate we call it a pinger!

So, have they ever actually fined you for something, and hiw much was it?

My bell, horn or similar warning device is me yelling "FAAAARK!" Or back pedalling hope pro free hubs - both more effective than an anemic "ting".....

Idea; can air horn, group ride down Ftrack....
I have an airport that can be recharged with a bike pump...

I havent (fortunately) been fined for years. Last time was riding on footpath. Crossing Donald St on Beaumont St, lanes become 1 rather suddenly. Bogan care from behind and cut me off and it was a choice of car, tree, footpath. I hopped onto footpath and pulled up. 2 cops standing right there..."yeah we were watching that wondering what you would do..." apparently they didn't mind the car's aggreseive driving so much. it was $60 or $100 I can't remember.

I did a bit of a google search to try and find the details, but can't find shit. I did find this pdf though if you want to see how many fines are handed out for bike offenses:
www.osr.nsw.gov.au/.../gipaa_12-28_bicycle_offences_financial_year_ questions_1_2_4.pdf

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Avid brakes in the rain are very effective at making errant pedestrians jump out of their skins...

I think I read a photo of your licence on the phone is ok, as a stravarsehole I always have my phone.

Which raises an interesting point (I think).

If the authorities are so interested in my well being that they need to ID me in the case of an emergency, how are they going to accomplish that if my id is a photo of my licence of a pass code locked phone ? (don't worry, its a rhetorical Q)

I'm a bit paranoid about the new laws being enforced, I have no bell. If a copy of my ID on the phone is ok, maybe an app for a bell will suffice ?