New rules for cyclists in NSW - Safe passing distances, but massive fines as well....

redbruce

Eats Squid
and while cycling with a helmet is most certainly a good idea, harsher penalties for those who choose not to will also discourage more people from getting on a bike
In the end that's just a competing risk argument, it's not a fait a completi in and of itself.

Agreed. But also struggle to disagree with the "its a slippery slope" sentiment really being expressed here.
Like in the example above?

I'm sure the half a dozen or so+ cars I see everyday running red lights on my daily 52Km return commute similarly agree with you also.

Then consider:

http://theconversation.com/seeing-red-why-cyclists-ride-through-traffic-lights-12916

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Like the example above?
Sigh. Probably... I support mandatory helmet laws, but I also support a public health system that had at its core a recognition that a certain percentage of funds will be spent on idiots...

dj jedijunglesnow

Likes Dirt
Wow, just wow.

Also states cyclists need to give a metre to pedestrians on a shared path. Most shared paths in Sydney are 1 metre wide, how does that work?

I guess therefore this means my Northern Beaches commute will be quicker. Burnt Bridge Track is 1 m wide, but instead I can now cycle staight up the main road, in transit lane, and being 80km zone all will need to give me a 1.5 m gap. It's all uphill, but I will have ID and a helmet so will be fine. bendy buses into the middle lane is not my fault, it is the law.

Guess I don't even need to go via Pirrawi Rd either now, just plod up straight up the Spit to the top...

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
If I thought for a second the Police would equally and fairly enforce the 1 metre rule I would welcome this heartily.

However...

wilso1

Likes Bikes
On the plus side, the photo ID includes a phone picture of your ID.
I've put that very question to the Minister. While I think all this is overkill, I'd be happy if I can get away with carrying a photo of my licence on my phone. I'll likely be carrying the licence or a phone.

But does this mean my kids can be fined for not carrying photo ID when riding?? I'm teaching them to ride on the (quiet) roads now even though they're only 9 & 11.

I've almost been knocked off my bike by pedestrians several times, who in all circumstances were in the wrong. Given that lovely example of the Melbourne businessmen dooring a cyclist then walking away before eventually giving a false name and address, it is only a matter of weeks before pedestrians will also be required to carry ID at all times. Right? Yeah, sorry, that's too logical.

stirk

Burner
The faster you go in a car the harder and more dangerous it would be to give more space to a roadie.

Sounds like BS which will only make drivers more angry about roadies, and how often would a car driver get pinged by these laws versus cyclists.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Obviously you have never watched them install them - they just get the cutter out, cut out a few squares and a cable is out in, then mastic over - they are indeed an induction loop. If you want to test, go jump up and down on them a few times and see fi they set off . Then go put some cleats on, and lightly brush the cleat straight over a line cut in the road and voila! The lights will change for you.....
Yep...last steel dirt jumper would set off red light cameras.

While I get the sentiment and frustration (and in that I empathise), I think not.

A gross and ignorant overstep none the less, maybe read more, check out the facts before acceding to the cheap throw away lines. http://www.cambodiatribunal.org/history/cambodian-history/khmer-rouge-history/
So the Khmer was against cycling? Or for cycling?

redbruce

Eats Squid
I've almost been knocked off my bike by pedestrians several times, who in all circumstances were in the wrong. Given that lovely example of the Melbourne businessmen dooring a cyclist then walking away before eventually giving a false name and address, it is only a matter of weeks before pedestrians will also be required to carry ID at all times. Right? Yeah, sorry, that's too logical.
Conversely, and unfortunately, on my regular commute, and again more so on the ocassional one into the city, I see many many cyclists who display a complete disregard for those around them, capitalising on the facility afforded them by being on a bike. As a pedestrian I have been knocked over by a cyclists running a red light (Collins and Exhibition sts) and one shooting through as I negotiated a hook turn on my motorbike at the same intersection. Is it the norm, by my observation no, but it there is a significant proportion who eschew the rules for personal gain. Being a minority group doesn't help, or justify any means to an end either.

Not sure if this would be the case without helmet cam but:
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cyclistdooring-man-not-proud-of-reaction-20140319-352r5.html

None the less, at this point it remains a no sum gain argument. This thread clearly indicates indignation by cyclists, rightly so, but it also serves to highlight (one side of) the attitudes behind the ongoing gulf between problem and solution.

Maybe it's good and cathartic (for some) to revisit the blood letting. But really, how does it result in the desired change in outcome?

So the Khmer was against cycling? Or for cycling?
Not an ice breaker, but, even if you could afford and stayed within your co-operative, still no group rides allowed :)

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Funnily enough approx 1am this morning (while riding home with my groceries) I came across a nsw booze bus. Having no lights I decided to cross the street and take (if needed) a slight detour. This required a small bunny hop over a dividing wall which I followed up with a piss weak manual. A car was speeding towards me and flashing their headlights slightly frantically. I was all "fuck off grandad you have heaps of space..." then realised it was the back up car from the booze bus. Fortunately on this occasion they just asked me to get some lights. I told them I wanted to get my refrigerated groceries home. In the past I have been hounded in similar situations.

I expect this new regime of foolishness will be enforced with the same sporadic efforts. Some cops will care, some won't. I will be paying attention to my metre though! Cops often forget that kind of thing.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Conversely, and unfortunately, on my regular commute, and again more so on the ocassional one into the city, I see many many cyclists who display a complete disregard for those around them, capitalising on the facility afforded them by being on a bike. As a pedestrian I have been knocked over by a cyclists running a red light (Collins and Exhibition sts) and one shooting through as I negotiated a hook turn on my motorbike at the same intersection. Is it the norm, by my observation no, but it there is a significant proportion who eschew the rules for personal gain. Being a minority group doesn't help, or justify any means to an end either.

Not sure if this would be the case without helmet cam but:
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cyclistdooring-man-not-proud-of-reaction-20140319-352r5.html

None the less, at this point it remains a no sum gain argument. This thread clearly indicates indignation by cyclists, rightly so, but it also serves to highlight (one side of) the attitudes behind the ongoing gulf between problem and solution.

Maybe it's good and cathartic (for some) to revisit the blood letting. But really, how does it result in the desired change in outcome?

Not an ice breaker, but, even if you could afford and stayed within your co-operative, still no group rides:)
Think of how much happier people would have been if Cambodia was known for the cycling fields.

nzdans

Likes Dirt
Traffic lights are not set off by steel induction loop, they are set off by weight. So try bunny hopping on the square pad section.
All the traffic lights I need to activate when riding have loops, alloy rims work fine, just ride along the cut line of the loop if you can see it. Sucks when I'm on my xc bike with the carbon rims though..

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
So can we still ride four abreast and yell as loudly as we want at 6am on a Sunday? That's the bit I enjoy most about road riding.