New South Wales with Family

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Crew,
Am travelling with family to Sydney in January. Looking at opportunities for riding that won't upset too many applecarts. I will be travelling with wife and daughter who are non riders. Very rough idea of itinerary was a couple of days in Sydney (I've been plenty of times but other two haven't) 2 days in Blue Mountains (I've never been) and then down South coast - Kiama ish. Thought I'd try and work in some riding at Green Valleys, is it worth trying to convince them to drive to Canberra?
Preferred riding is blue/black not really double black (steeper tech ok but not a huge jumper so I'll generally avoid gaps, especially when on holiday!)
So given I'm the only rider won't centre the trip around riding but guide in gently in the right direction where required :) I did get a good Tassie trip in April where I got a heap of riding in, so not pushing my luck this time.

Anyway words of wisdom or good places to visit (riding or not) welcomed. Only fixed criteria at this stage is fly in to and out of Sydney.

Cheers

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Greenvalleys for sure mate, it’s a wee drive down from sydney though, swing past left bower in sutherland for breaky on the way through :)

Loftus/menia are good fun with local knowledge if you like rocky tech crap. Loftus has some good steep descent stuff too but short runs, followed by a decent ride around or hikabike back up. Easy to get lost though, it’s all intersecting trail. Menia flows heaps better but doesn’t have as many trails.
For a solid days riding it’s be worth doin both. A couple of hours at each is plenty

Canvegas is rad and deffinately worth a visit. Send the spawn off to museums/questacon and enjoy the trails!

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Greenvalleys for sure mate, it’s a wee drive down from sydney though, swing past left bower in sutherland for breaky on the way through :)

Loftus/menia are good fun with local knowledge if you like rocky tech crap. Loftus has some good steep descent stuff too but short runs, followed by a decent ride around or hikabike back up. Easy to get lost though, it’s all intersecting trail. Menia flows heaps better but doesn’t have as many trails.
For a solid days riding it’s be worth doin both. A couple of hours at each is plenty

Canvegas is rad and deffinately worth a visit. Send the spawn off to museums/questacon and enjoy the trails!
Cheers- Thanks

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
No idea, open to suggestions!
There are plenty of places to ride all over the Mts but is mostly firetail laced with singletrack that might not do it for you.

Bigger question is where can you park Mrs and little Ms while sneaking off for a ride. They will need something to do or tour time will get shorter IMHO.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Canberra is a 3 hour drive from Kiama/Wollongong and there is plenty of good riding in between.
Some places not mentioned already are Mt Keira, that has a good mix of trails and is only 30 mins from Kiama. Nowra has good XC stuff and so does Wingello.

January is not the best time for a drive to Canberra if it’s is stinking hot. Stromlo is not much fun in the heat as well but is well worth the trip for a ride.

Canberra does have plenty to do for non riders.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Fireworks fun in Canberra was banned ten years ago. Given how flammable the place is I'm surprised it wasn't done earlier.

So it's largely riding (bikes and whatever else you're after) these days.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Mt Keira, that has a good mix of trails and is only 30 mins from Kiama.
As mentioned there is great riding around Mt Keira. Trails might be better (but not required) with someone to play tourguide. If you do make it send me a message, I may be able to play the role.

There are great beaches, hiking and sights to see around very nearby to occupy the family while you ride.

Ultra Lord

Were in sydney are you staying? If you’re north end I wouldn’t be going south etc. fuuuuuuuck cross city driving man, too hard basket

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sounds like someone is going to visit hornsby. You can get there from almost anywhere in Sydney via a train or three, thus leaving the girls with the car and that will make everyone happier. You'll probably also need a trip to the northern breaches. They cans swim and you can ride either endless single trail in the forest or epic tech. What a day!

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Were in sydney are you staying? If you’re north end I wouldn’t be going south etc. fuuuuuuuck cross city driving man, too hard basket
I imagine we'll probably stay somewhere fairly central must confess I have very rarely driven in Sydney but yes can imagine cross city driving sucks.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sounds like someone is going to visit hornsby. You can get there from almost anywhere in Sydney via a train or three, thus leaving the girls with the car and that will make everyone happier. You'll probably also need a trip to the northern breaches. They cans swim and you can ride either endless single trail in the forest or epic tech. What a day!
I did see a video that Flow did when the trails reopened it looks great, definitely add that to the list!

Ultra Lord

I imagine we'll probably stay somewhere fairly central must confess I have very rarely driven in Sydney but yes can imagine cross city driving sucks.
Let us know were you’ll end up mate.
OMV at hornsby is pretty fun. I haven’t been since they added new trails, apparently it’s a squillion times better. Easy to navigate which is a bonus

Edit: ahahaha! Beat me to it

Last edited:

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are plenty of places to ride all over the Mts but is mostly firetail laced with singletrack that might not do it for you.

Bigger question is where can you park Mrs and little Ms while sneaking off for a ride. They will need something to do or tour time will get shorter IMHO.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
Thanks yes I'll be trying to balance those things fortunately they are both pretty flexible. Probably won't use my credits on firetrail, might just be a regular tourist in blue mountains, if I get out early for a few hours the daughter loves to sleep so it's a good opportunity, just need to curtail the holidays beverages!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Day trip to the northern beaches it is then! Let them drop you at the trails, they can indulge in whatever it is people that don't ride like about that area (I've no idea what that is), then meet up for a splash and a feed when youre done. This is one of those "fuck that's a long drive" locations @Ultra Lord was referring to. But the trails are awesome.

For Hornsby (if you don't just train across...the trails are only a few hundred metres from the station) they can attend a very large shopping centre while you're busy facing life and death by mosquito and sweat.

You could consider a day trip to Ourimbah as well.