New XT.

BizL

Likes Dirt
I've got the shifter, rear mech and 11-42 cassette ordered for my new build. Wish it would hurry up n be mine...

Minlak

custom titis
I've got the shifter, rear mech and 11-42 cassette ordered for my new build. Wish it would hurry up n be mine...
I was going to go back to 2x for the epic if I stay 1x that's what I would need and comes in at a much more palatable price for me. Mmmmm

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I'm guessing he was probably referring to the SRAM driver....
Correctus. Shimano reckon there's not really all that much to gain by going smaller than 11T at the top end, so don't do it. As such there's no question of compatibility with existing hubs, as the cassette (deja vu, we went through all this with XTR last year....) will fit on the regular 8/9/10-sp. freehub body. The cassette is wider overall than 8/9/10-sp. but the enormity of the inner sprocket allows it to be dished back from the core of the cassette without interfering with the spokes. Allowing the existing freehub design to be used means there's no further compromise in wheel stiffness by ramming the right flange even closer in to the centreline of the hub.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Correctus. Shimano reckon there's not really all that much to gain by going smaller than 11T at the top end, so don't do it. As such there's no question of compatibility with existing hubs, as the cassette (deja vu, we went through all this with XTR last year....) will fit on the regular 8/9/10-sp. freehub body. The cassette is wider overall than 8/9/10-sp. but the enormity of the inner sprocket allows it to be dished back from the core of the cassette without interfering with the spokes. Allowing the existing freehub design to be used means there's no further compromise in wheel stiffness by ramming the right flange even closer in to the centreline of the hub.
And even sram cringe at the idea of going 9t, like General Lee.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Some of the 2016 Giant range is already out... so unless Shimano filled OEM orders first you might be outta luck
Only low-mid level stuff. The good toys are still a few weeks away from launch. You can bet your boots that OEM gets first dibs on new components.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Apologies if it has already been answered somewhere, but does the new 11sp chain/cassette/derailleur/shifter work fine with existing NW rings?

Or is the new crank set + ring required also?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Apologies if it has already been answered somewhere, but does the new 11sp chain/cassette/derailleur/shifter work fine with existing NW rings?

Or is the new crank set + ring required also?
same same. the inner chain width on 10 and 11spd is the same, the chain just get's a bees doodle narrower externally.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Just FYI for anyone, 10sp quicklinks are no good on the new shimano 11sp stuff. I had one on an 11sp chain, and it was too wide. It could work in a bind, but shifting was not optimal.

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Think I already read it in here, but cant find it again - an existing XT/XTR 10spd RD will work as 11spd, given a new shifter and cassette?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
It has been alleged independently that this is the case. However, due to the geometry of the 10-sp. derailleurs the performance on the big cassettes would be very hit & miss - they just don't have the top pulley clearance (cage length is not a contributor). What would be a better way to do it would be to use an 11-sp. derailleur on a range-extended 10-sp. cassette.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
Sorry if this is an obvious question, I'm still learning all this stuff!

If you had a bike with an XT 2x10 drivetrain, and wanted to switch to a 2x11, would you have to switch out the front DR / chainrings? Or just the rear cassette / DR? Plus shifters of course.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
History shows that crank & FD compatibility is generally much broader than manufacturers will let on.

I have a desire to update my good bike with XTR for my birthday next year, and I'm actually thinking about chucking in a M980 10-sp. crank 'cos its bigger rings will give a better gear range on 26" wheels.

Last edited:

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pretty please Giant, make me happy and release the 2016 Anthem Advanced SX with full XT in a 2x11...
With 29" wheels a short rear end and a 69' head angle. In fact make it a 429c geo please. Come one you tweaked the DW link for maestro you guys can do it...

Yes I wish I was richer....

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
^^ No chance, Giant don't seen in any hurry to jump back on the 29er bandwagon. I don't have any details on the performance line yet, other than that given they're only two years into their current frame run, and their typical production cycle is three years, there won't be anything radically new this year. They did cop considerable stick last year for the lack of Shimano-spec (not just XT) models in some lineups, so hopefully they've taken that on board & offer a more balanced range.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yeah, I've never had an interest in 29ers... The current Anthem Advanced SX 27.5 is pretty much perfect and if there was no such thing as the new XT stuff I would right now be jumping on the last of the 2015 stock.

I suspect I'll be out of luck trying to get a 2015 model though if the 2016 is still X01 and no different... Oh well, it was always going to be hard to justify the spend to the missus anyway and I'm still happy with my 26er Anthem.