New Zealand Trip Questions

D.HILL817

Likes Dirt
I know this is probably been posted a few times, but I wanted to get some info on your trips to NZ. I plan to go for 2 weeks in December, Rotorua for a week and Queenstown for a week. I'm taking an enduro 160mm bike. So I'm looking at more of the gravity side of riding.

What are both places like? Is a week long enough or too long for both places? Heli biking, yay or nay? Shuttle bus days worth the money? Best trails around the areas worth checking out? Gondoala tickets? Bike passes?
Anything and everything really about going for a riding trip! (My first trip OS on a bike)

Feel free to redirect me to a post that answers all these questions. Would love to hear of some peoples trips and experiences of these places.

Thanks

Last edited:

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
160mm in Queenstown = hit up Queenstown bike taxis. Great value days shuttling.
I second that, do the Rude Rock shuttle for sure. I found it best to buy only half day lift passes for the QT bike park, it's so steep the arm pump is insane. There is accomodation specifically targeted towards riders, can't remember the place but I wished I had stayed there.

clockworked

Like an orange
double check the southstar shuttles facebook page. I'm pretty sure the shuttle at rotorua only starts running full time at the end of december during their holidays

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
double check the southstar shuttles facebook page. I'm pretty sure the shuttle at rotorua only starts running full time at the end of december during their holidays
Shuttle was running each day when I was there a few weeks ago. 9:30am to 3:30pm. First pick up is from the main carpark (where the Giant rental shop is). After that you need to get up to the spot where they collect for each run, it isn't far and is quite easy to find. Southstar keep their FB info pretty up to date - trails open, weather, shuttles running, they even update if they stop the shuttles mid-session. Buy your tickets from the driver.

At the main carpark there is:
- a bike wash station with 2 hoses.
- really good toilets
- drinkable coffee and food
- little pump track.

There is also the gondola. Works out to be a similar value to the Southstar shuttles. No idea what any of it is actually like thanks to rain.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Shuttle was running each day when I was there a few weeks ago
Might have been school holidays, they run it every day for those. I think regular days are Fridays, weekends and Tuesday (and Thursday?) evenings.
There is also the gondola. Works out to be a similar value to the Southstar shuttles. No idea what any of it is actually like thanks to rain.
The gondola trails are pretty bikeparky, nice fun and flowy, in comparison to Warawhaka which is more raw. When I was over there I used an off peak pass to ride Mon-Fri and then spent weekends in the forest.

dunndog

Eats Squid
What is this Warawhaka you speak of?
I'm heading over in Jan, been to qtown before, bike park is nice fast flowy bermy goodness, nothing too rough except some tooth shattering braking bumps. I'll be taking my Sight next time, get a few arvo/evening sessions in the park, and a few bigger rides in like rude rock, skippers, couple runs down zoot. Will be hitting up Jono at QBT and Haka Tours.
Best advice I could offer a first timer is don't get over excited in the bike park on day 1 and do 40 odd runs, your hands will be buckled and useless for 2 days afterwards!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What is this Warawhaka you speak of?
I'm heading over in Jan, been to qtown before, bike park is nice fast flowy bermy goodness, nothing too rough except some tooth shattering braking bumps. I'll be taking my Sight next time, get a few arvo/evening sessions in the park, and a few bigger rides in like rude rock, skippers, couple runs down zoot. Will be hitting up Jono at QBT and Haka Tours.
Best advice I could offer a first timer is don't get over excited in the bike park on day 1 and do 40 odd runs, your hands will be buckled and useless for 2 days afterwards!
Behold...
http://www.southstaradventures.com/

Ro100

Squid
Id say a week is minimum.

I spent 8 days in the redwood forrest in Rotorua and didn't want to come back out!!

Make sure if you get the chance take advantage of the local hot springs. We stayed at the thermal holiday park. The beds/rooms were pretty sketchy but it is right on the trail head (just across the highway), and when you are recovering in a hot spring with a cold beer you forget everything but the smile the trail left on your dial!

D.HILL817

Likes Dirt
Id say a week is minimum.

I spent 8 days in the redwood forrest in Rotorua and didn't want to come back out!!

Make sure if you get the chance take advantage of the local hot springs. We stayed at the thermal holiday park. The beds/rooms were pretty sketchy but it is right on the trail head (just across the highway), and when you are recovering in a hot spring with a cold beer you forget everything but the smile the trail left on your dial!
Sounds awesome, I think I will change my plans up a bit and spend more days in Rotorua! Thanks!

Keep them coming, heaps of useful info from all you guys!

shanno89

Likes Dirt
I also highly recommend Rotorua. A mate and I spent a week there in Feb this year. We stay at the Alpin Motel which is about 2km ride from the edge of town to the main entrance of the forest. Each room at the motel has a private out hot tub which was perfect after riding all day, as well as a bike washdown bay set up. We got a two bedroom place for ~$120 a night I think.

Yeti Dan

Likes Dirt
This has been very helpful. I'm in the process of organising a trip as well.

What are the best times to go weather wise? Is it very hot in summer? I'm thinking late February. The warmer the better!

Is it possible to do both Rotorua and Queenstown in one trip given that they are on separate islands and how many days would be good? 2 weeks?

Logistics wise would it best to fly Sydney>Christchurch then drive to Rotorua and come back to Christchurch and fly direct to Queenstown, then fly from Queenstown>Sydney?

Is there nice bars/restaurants in these places?

Cheers

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Couldn't agree more about Rotorua requiring as many days as possible. Also make sure you have access to a thermal pool, somehow kept our unfit bunch riding day after day for full days. It makes an amazing difference to ones condition the next day.

Food is ok in Rotorua but we really liked Capizzi Pizzeria, a more traditional pizza, less topping better crust.. not for the Dominios fans.

Rolls and coffee and other snacks at the car park of trails is also pretty good and worth supporting.

shanno89

Likes Dirt
What are the best times to go weather wise? Is it very hot in summer? I'm thinking late February. The warmer the better!

Is it possible to do both Rotorua and Queenstown in one trip given that they are on separate islands and how many days would be good? 2 weeks?

Logistics wise would it best to fly Sydney>Christchurch then drive to Rotorua and come back to Christchurch and fly direct to Queenstown, then fly from Queenstown>Sydney?
When we were there this year, it was about a max of 25 degrees so its not the usual hot summer like Aust. In saying that, we also did the Motatapu XC race between Wanaka to Queenstown and that was about 10 degrees during the day. Bloody cold and wet!

Yes you can do Rotorua and Queenstown if you allow yourself two weeks in total as this will give you plenty of time for rest days, sightseeing etc.

We flew Sydney to Auckland then hired a car and drove to Rotorua with the bikes (3-4hr drive) - you can fly from Auckland to Rotorua however they only have small planes so the bikes may not make it on the same flight as you. We drove back to Auckland and flew direct to Queenstown. Afterwards you can fly direct from Qtown to Sydney.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
IIRC you could fly Rotorua direct from Sydney with Air NZ when I went over. I went via Auckland though, was a tiny plane.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
Anyone ridden Woodhill or four forty mtb parks ?
Going to Auckland and Rotorua for holidays in January need to know if i should take my bike or hire one, ive just emailed Woodhill about their range, Four forty doesn't say on their site if they hire or not, i don't want to get there and a get a nasty surprise ie: their top of the range is a malvern star hardtail......:jaw: