XC Nicolai Saturn 11

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Use rear brake only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Has that been your experience? I'm assuming that it dives for the first little bit under brakes and then starts to resist as the compression dampening ramps up. The tradeoff is lots of sensitivity around the sag point.

I'm a hackalicious rider that already uses too much rear brake. So on the weekend I went and did some enduro training at Green Valley. Setting up properly for corners meant scrubbing lots of speed before entry, and weighting the front ready for turn in. The end result was using 60-70% of my travel just with weight transfer and dealing with brake bumps. This was with a Fox36 rc2 and the Avalanched Yari both with lots of lsc.

I expect the DT fork would work really well in an AM setup with a light rider. But wouldn't be controlled enough for a heavy rider on a full speed enduro rig.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
The end result was using 60-70% of my travel just with weight transfer and dealing with brake bumps. This was with a Fox36 rc2 and the Avalanched Yari both with lots of lsc.
What if the DT fork also resulted in 60-70% of travel used under the same circumstances?

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Has that been your experience? I'm assuming that it dives for the first little bit under brakes and then starts to resist as the compression dampening ramps up. The tradeoff is lots of sensitivity around the sag point.

I expect the DT fork would work really well in an AM setup with a light rider. But wouldn't be controlled enough for a heavy rider on a full speed enduro rig.

No - it’s 30mm of coil so roughly the same as sag. Benefit is probably small bump sensitivity where slightly unweighted. In reality it is not all floppy floppy then OMG ramp up.

Oddjob

What if the DT fork also resulted in 60-70% of travel used under the same circumstances?
If they could achieve that and be more sensitive off the top then that would be a legitimate step forward. Given there's not many in the country I'm not likely to get to find out myself, so I'm hoping to get some insight from OCD'r.

Oddjob

No - it’s 30mm of coil so roughly the same as sag. Benefit is probably small bump sensitivity where slightly unweighted. In reality it is not all floppy floppy then OMG ramp up.

Cool. Can you feel the switch over point on the hybrid spring?

Oddjob

No - zero transition feel to air. I’m impressed with the trail feel though I did pay for the fork so...

That's why I like these PYRs. Usually honest assessments. Do you mind telling me how much you paid?

I'm assuming a man of your taste has some other high end forks about. Where does it come in the pack, straight to the top?

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
That's why I like these PYRs. Usually honest assessments. Do you mind telling me how much you paid?

I'm assuming a man of your taste has some other high end forks about. Where does it come in the pack, straight to the top?

1200 so same as the others. I presume it will be 1800 locally.

I’m a RS fan - mainly SID forks, favourite is 120 RCT3 Damper. Haven’t tried anything from Fox in the last couple of years. The 120 34 SC interests me. I like the lighter stuff so DT was an out of character choice, no regrets so far.

Borrowed shockwiz and setup with DT recommendation showed I’m so close to optimal which is great. Slow down compression and rebound a couple of clicks or 10% is testament to R&D put in to setup Guide (and fork).

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
1200 so same as the others. I presume it will be 1800 locally.

I’m a RS fan - mainly SID forks, favourite is 120 RCT3 Damper. Haven’t tried anything from Fox in the last couple of years. The 120 34 SC interests me. I like the lighter stuff so DT was an out of character choice, no regrets so far.

Borrowed shockwiz and setup with DT recommendation showed I’m so close to optimal which is great. Slow down compression and rebound a couple of clicks or 10% is testament to R&D put in to setup Guide (and fork).

SID fan hey? How do you find small bump compliance? My biggest hit is a 2 foot drop so my spring pressure is barely enough to fully extended the fork and it's still too hard.

What's your experience?

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
SID fan hey? How do you find small bump compliance? My biggest hit is a 2 foot drop so my spring pressure is barely enough to fully extended the fork and it's still too hard.

What's your experience?
Not that - small bump ok though ran LSC and rebound a touch slow. Was a different bike and setup very XC so I grew to like the urgency and firmness of the SID.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
OCD
That rig is gorgeous and your attention to detail makes me feel calm but excited at the same time. How are the Rekin tyres?
Look forward to catching up someday- you are a good egg.

Antdawkins

Cannon Fodder
Any chance of a ride report on this thing? I have a G13 but it's not great on my local XC trails. This looks the business! Unless you speak German it almost impossible to get any actual user feedback on the Saturn 11. Thanks

BB1

Likes Dirt
I've been that impressed with the G15 that when I saw this on Pinkbike I thought that's my next bike for sure. Just need someone to buy my Primer!

BB1

Likes Dirt
what is $50 gonna add to an already amazing build like this though?
Bike wash and socks maybe. Or some epic valve caps
What happened to BoTM anyway? I need new some new valve caps...

Mind you, anyone makes their own frame should be an automatic winner anyway.

lincolnsydney

Likes Dirt
Bloody hell that's a gorgeous bike, been toying with the Saturn 11 as well... I love the raw finish, but black and orange is a seriously cool design. WOW.