Official kentlyn thread

Rode from Darling Ave on Saturday for the first time in over 18months! Thankfully still remembered the way.

The trail is a bit dirty (leaves and sticks) but is still in riding order. We also incorporated The Rock Trail (which is in top nick as always), Crank It has seen better days, so take care through there. Bendi is also in great condition bar a few sticks. I noticed they have resurfaced the fire trail climb up the other side, so there is now no loose rocks which is great.

Will definitely be riding from that side more regularly.

Jado

Likes Dirt
Happy New Year

Can anyone tell me if the trails at Appin are unofficially accessible and are folks riding it?

I have adopted Kentlyn as my local being 8 minutes away but wondering if anything else recommended in 30 minutes reach. PM me if it's a better way to suggest something.

Cheers

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Happy New Year

Can anyone tell me if the trails at Appin are unofficially accessible and are folks riding it?

I have adopted Kentlyn as my local being 8 minutes away but wondering if anything else recommended in 30 minutes reach. PM me if it's a better way to suggest something.

Cheers
Appin has never been closed. It is just not available for MTB racing only. Many other things including Sport happen there.
The cost to run an MTB event there, became totally crazy.
I use Kentlyn, Smiths Creek and the back of Airds for longer rides. I use The Rock Trail for fast training.
I've heard of a lot that still use Appin, but it is not being looked after now.

If you are only 8 minutes from Kentlyn have you ridden Wyldes MTB Park at Cecil Hills ?

Jado

Likes Dirt
Appin has never been closed. It is just not available for MTB racing only. Many other things including Sport happen there.
The cost to run an MTB event there, became totally crazy.
I use Kentlyn, Smiths Creek and the back of Airds for longer rides. I use The Rock Trail for fast training.
I've heard of a lot that still use Appin, but it is not being looked after now.

If you are only 8 minutes from Kentlyn have you ridden Wyldes MTB Park at Cecil Hills ?
OK THANKS, I THOUGHT THAT WAS THE CASE (sorry caps lock) - but NOBMOB have it as closed so wasn't sure; also i searched for references and discussions about it and i could only find all the chatter after they closed it to Wollongong MTB club in 2012.

Do you have any info/maps for smiths creek, I could only find another track called smiths creek but up on northern beaches http://nswmtb.asn.au/node/5985. Does back of Airds have much quality single track?

Yeah I rode Wylde on new years day, I was there by myself, only saw another two people who were doing the kids loop. Wylde is good but too smooth for me; too smooth, too much up hill (and lots of very short descents followed by uphill) way too many camel bumps that just feel like they are there to slow you down; the descending bumps are ok for a little air time. I like technical/rocky trails like everything at Kentlyn, especially the descends like crank it and I do the rocky trail just about every day, sometimes twice. But did crank it today and the loops on the southern side of peter meadows.

Looking to find more in the local area of the Kentlyn genre; any other local secret spots to mention?

Jado

Likes Dirt
What Bob said.
Also, it was a tip from the good old days when no one cared about dumping toxic shit. There is a row of big dead tress along the creek there. I was told by a guy who lived in the area that all those trees died off over a very short period of time. He reckoned that someting leached out of the old tip and killed the trees. I
I thought of this local history you heard from the local while i was riding through the clearing today, looked for those trees; I agree looks pretty nasty, who knows whats there. Trees don't die in groups of five for no reason.

Assuming we have no more run before Saturday morning, do those who ride from Darling Ave think the trail will be all ok to ride after the rain we've had?

mtb1611

Seymour
Did an hour 40 wit a few mates this morn, quite a few riders out and about. Hadn't ridden there for around 6 months and was quite surprised at how un-ridden the Beni Track and surrounds appeared to be. Rock Trail etc was fantastic as per usual.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had planned to do some maintenance work on Bendi this morning then the phone rang and that plan went out the window. Bendi does need a tidy up so I am hoping to be able to get out there soon to do some raking and trimming.

CBG.

Jado

Likes Dirt
I had planned to do some maintenance work on Bendi this morning then the phone rang and that plan went out the window. Bendi does need a tidy up so I am hoping to be able to get out there soon to do some raking and trimming.

CBG.

That's awesome CBG. I ride the loop on the same plateau as Bendi (which takes you around to either end of Bendi access) - the branches are face slapping around there, is that something that might get trimmed?

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's awesome CBG. I ride the loop on the same plateau as Bendi (which takes you around to either end of Bendi access) - the branches are face slapping around there, is that something that might get trimmed?
At the eastern end of the Darling Ave Track a tree has fallen and it is pushing some branches down across the track. This is on the list of work to be done.

CBG.

Great work trail fairies. I'll be riding from Darling Ave this Saturday morning with a few people. Really loving the trails that Kentlyn has to offer and the work/maintenance you guys do!

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At the eastern end of the Darling Ave Track a tree has fallen and it is pushing some branches down across the track. This is on the list of work to be done.

CBG.
Manged to get out this arvo and clear the eastern end of the Darling Ave Track. All clear now.

I did some raking.

Also I just wanted to say thank you to whoever raked the Lower Track. The track looks good.

Cheers,
CBG.

Last edited: