Official kentlyn thread

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The last few times I've ridden Bendi it felt like someone had removed rocks from that little dip/gully. Why would anyone want to remove rocks from Kentlyn trails?
Mostly just natural wear and tear. Although motorbikes still ride through that bit of the track as well which doesn't help.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had an encounter with a Swamp Snake today along Peter Meadows Ck (on the other side of the creek from Bendi). I was walking through some Tea Tree scrub and didn't see it till I was only a few metres from it. Scared the shit out of me as it lunged at a stick that was on the ground near it. Decided quick smart to avoid any chance of getting bitten and high tailed it out of there.

Keep your eyes open.

Cheers,
CBG.

mxh

Likes Dirt
How are the trails looking for this weekend - thinking of heading down Sunday morning, or is that a bit optimistic after all this rain?

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On Wednesday afternoon I was south of Peter Meadows Rd and there were a number of puddles on the tracks and the creeks were flowing well. I spoke to a guy who had ridden over to The Rock Trail but he decided to not ride it as it looked very slippery (we were still getting some rain on Wednesday around here). Normally Kentlyn dries out quickly as it is mostly sand. Trails should be nice and firm by the weekend.

Cheers,
CBG.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
The Rock Trail - Kentlyn

Just rode The Rock and it is fine. Very little water and all is good.

Comic Book Guy is right , it dries up quick.

Have a good ride Sunday.

Newts

Likes Dirt
Kessel closure

I havent ridden Kentlyn since March and only been on the bike a handful of times as well, but do we expect that Kentlyn will become busier/over crowded since the closure of Kessels over the past week?

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Just Ran a loop of The Rock Trail and not a rider in sight. A few puddles after last nights downpour but it will be gone by midday.

But you are right, there may be more on the weekends, but I think it can handle more. The parking in Boronia Rd. could be the only issue.

We also will have new neighbours to the X-C and DH Tracks very soon, so lets hope we all behave and the new neighbours are nice, or better still MTB riders.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But you are right, there may be more on the weekends, but I think it can handle more. The parking in Boronia Rd. could be the only issue.

We also will have new neighbours to the X-C and DH Tracks very soon, so lets hope we all behave and the new neighbours are nice, or better still MTB riders.
+1 on what Bob said.

mxh

Likes Dirt
is it just co-incidence that both properties that border the firetrail have sold recently, or is there something else going on?

mtboer

Likes Dirt
The 2 houses that are on the Firetrail. Brian at the top has been there 30+ years and is downsizing and the one on Boronia (Craig) with the 3 dogs are moving on.
Nothing sinister or nasty is happening. The fenceline re-marking (surveying) is just to re-define the boundries.

ChopSticks

Banned
hitting Kentlyn for the first time tomorrow!!
pumped as I've heard so much about the trail ! hopefully its worth the long drive!

will be there 9am, do say hi if you regulars see me!

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
It's definitely worth the drive; last summer I would spend my days taking the train (from the Shore) all the way to Minto and riding in from there. Even if the Rock trail is all you do, it's still probably worth it, but there's a lot more to explore there and something for everyone, whether it be ridiculously tight XC single or some of the more FR stuff off the 5-ways junction.

Check out the area on OpenCycle maps, all the trails are marked and named on those maps. iOS users can use MotionX GPS to get those maps and GPS location on your phone. I'm sure there's an equivalent Android app.

EDIT: just realised you were asking his opinion, derp

ChopSticks

Banned
Hey Chops, was Kentlyn work the long drive ? Good to meet you too.
Most definitely Bob!!!
Absolute pleasure to meet you!! The work you've done in there is amazing!!
Hats off to you!! If I ever go again.... I'll be sure to bring some spare reflectors for your daughter!

had another go of the bucket run.... I was sooo sooooo close! Was one pedal stroke away from cleaning it (just an empty tank)

hopefully see see you again soon!
keep up the good stuff!

Norm