Official kentlyn thread

Dippo

Squid
Good on ya for fixing them Dippo, but mate your lucky there were photos taken at all, i was doing it as a courtesy - moments before my wife called and i was needed at home urgently, but thinking of the Kentlyn crew i took these pictures. I posted them early morning Tuesday but it takes a day for them to appear because Rotoburn changed their settings, because I'm under 20 posts my new posts are going for verification.

And so you know Dippo, before the call from home, i cleared two largish fallen trees and dug a drain for a pooled area. I regularly stop and contributing track maintenance.

Cheers

Jason
No problems Jason. When I saw the photos I was thinking how come no fix, but now I know so all good.
That track was a bit sketchy after the rain though so we only did one run so not to damage it.
Also good to know other riders are doing maintenance. I'm semi local but am time limited so do as much as I can when riding.
The Rotoburn settings are frustrating. Suppose I should post more. To busy riding or working though.

Mattl

Likes Dirt
Has anyone been out on the trails this morning that can report on their condition after last nights storm? It looked like the area had about 40mm of rain in an hour

Jado

Likes Dirt
No problems Jason. When I saw the photos I was thinking how come no fix, but now I know so all good.
That track was a bit sketchy after the rain though so we only did one run so not to damage it.
Also good to know other riders are doing maintenance. I'm semi local but am time limited so do as much as I can when riding.
The Rotoburn settings are frustrating. Suppose I should post more. To busy riding or working though.
Ok no worries. I'm out riding kentlyn probably 4-8 times a week, so likely not many more spend that much time there. The new 6 bridges is the only section in my opinion that can be damaged riding when wet, most of it no, but there is a section around those two bridges that got washed down that would degrade with loads of traffic when the ground moisture is high.

The rock trail is almost impossible to hurt, I have ridden that after the Sydney floods and trail condition wise it was no where near the realm of damageable.

The pools that occur in the valley trail to Pete Meadows do get muddy; in previous big wets I have seen them a) get muddy b) get ridden through alot c) develop muddy ruts d) dry within a few days and e) get layered with fresh dirt from the dry ruts broken down by bike tyres. Initially i thought i would see damage to those trails but no, I have witnessed them just get return similar to their previous state.

Anyway, it was getting very soggy on Sunday after the extended big dumpings over the past month, Kentlyn can deal with flood waters and be right immediately after but when it build, builds, builds it does start to get soggy.

Good to see it is now Tuesday and no real rain this week, it will be getting a chance to dry itself!

Newts

Likes Dirt
Been riding Kentlyn for about 8-10 years now and there are a few spots that have slowly deteriorated.
The down lines on road gap and crank-it are the worst that I have noticed.. breaking in sandstone crevices

Jado

Likes Dirt
Who's got the chainsaw??

This big bertha probably has been down for a week or maybe longer, first time down this trail in a while.

Its on the valley trail that leads from going Roller Coaster from five ways.

It would be great if we get this cut......big job though

IMG_7534.jpg

Jado

Likes Dirt
GoPro edits

Check out my run today on crank it

[video=youtube;4n80IJxdG8I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n80IJxdG8I[/video]

Jado

Likes Dirt
GoPro edits

And some creme of Kentlyn, the funnest parts from here :nod:

[video=youtube;vZGJgSIW6Uw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZGJgSIW6Uw[/video]

mtboer

Likes Dirt
I was so close to that tree this morning. I walked in from Peter Meadows rd.
Saw and shovel in hand. I need to read a post a bit better.
Plenty of other stuff down to fix up, so not all was lost.

Jado

Likes Dirt
I was so close to that tree this morning. I walked in from Peter Meadows rd.
Saw and shovel in hand. I need to read a post a bit better.
Plenty of other stuff down to fix up, so not all was lost.
Nice work mtboer!

Its a hefty tree, i would not like to think about it the old fashioned way, and the way its lying it would be under strain there, so when it is finally cut through the lower part will shift and maybe kick up or down - its needs real careful approach

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Found a Blue Front Fork adjuster on The Rock Trail this morning and put it in the bucket at the Numbers Gallery.

I ran through and it was steady rain and a lot of water. It probably needs a couple of no rain hours to be fun again.

Trees are hanging down a lot with the water on them.

yeahyeah

Likes Dirt
How's things been out there guys?
It's been a while since I've ridden out there, I hope 6 bridges is still running good!

Last edited:
Guys,

Without reading the 200 pages on this location can I ask is there a protocol for riding here, namely in terms of parking ? You know, like a park up the road and ride to the trail head in a stealthy manner ala H20 ?

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Guys,

Without reading the 200 pages on this location can I ask is there a protocol for riding here, namely in terms of parking ? You know, like a park up the road and ride to the trail head in a stealthy manner ala H20 ?
Park in Boronia Road, the guy in the end house is Craig and is a top bloke. He even mows across the road so we can park, nose in, if there are lots there on the weekend.

The XC starts on the trail past the gate and to the T Junction and to the right. The AM go to T Junction and left up to the crest of the hill.

Jado

Likes Dirt
New section cut in Rock Trail?

Hey, can I ask who has cut a new 2-3 minute section in the rock trail? Is it Bob or someone else?

Not sure if everyone uses Strava but the added section has screwed the official Rock Trail segment forever.....I made a new segment based on the added 3 minutes and it still picks up all the rides that were done before the new work. So might be worth reverting it, as it's an iconic trail in which people travel from all over Sydney to ride and to be able to watch your own times get better and move up the ranks is a rewarding part of riding for many.

Maybe we can have both options open with signs? Then we could ride the original trail or the new wiggly section

If you want to discuss privately please ping me, maybe we can figure something out....and I can help

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is the new section any good? Does it fit in with the rest of the trail? Which section does it come off? The original Rock Trail loop was only about 3km or so (by gps) and it's had bits added over time.

Jado

Likes Dirt
Is the new section any good? Does it fit in with the rest of the trail? Which section does it come off? The original Rock Trail loop was only about 3km or so (by gps) and it's had bits added over time.
Hi, the Rock Trail is 5km.

The new bit is not bad trail, its just that it ruins the 5km strava segment results - i understand some don't use strava and i'm not a mad strava user but its made me push harder and improve my times going for personal bests and then when i get in the top 50 or top 10 i might push harder to improve...if it was not such a iconic trail i wouldn't care.

I think the answer is to reopen the blocked bit and put signs up saying "Original Rock Trail" and "New Rock Trail (no strava)" that way if you are riding for fun and don't care about competing on the time you can - or if you want to compete on the clock you can do that too.

Last edited: