Official kentlyn thread

Jado

Likes Dirt
that's one of the original lines of Kentlyn... Plenty of room for tracks up the top - was looking at that last year when I was searching for Yeahyeah's 6 Bridges track before it was completed
Yes it is, but that track in the pic was a loop that turned right then feeds into Roller Coaster, the new trail breaks left (just out of shot) then climbs up a nice easy gradient in the cliff escarpment rocks and then rejoins another old trail. Last year there were many hours spent clearing the old DH (or moto) trail up top that comes down from an old fire road (and now links to the gravity flow trail Forest Flow Descent)- it was absolutely unridden in over 10 years I guess, seemed like it had 100 fallen trees to move and the trail wasn't there in many sections. Since re-claiming that old track up top this loop has been ridden by many according to Strava, but there was a section that you need to carry your bike, this new up track means you stay on the bike and it is also faster to climb, so the new recordings will great to watch.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Just a warning guys. I've seen goats on The Rock Trail, and I don't mean riders.

Doing a clean up run this morning, I came across a herd of 30-40 at the Techy section at the end of the ridge. Near Rhiannons' Rollover.
Some of those buggers are running 95cm handlebars.

As I was only running and not moving as fast as a rider would, I heard them ahead, but I would hate to run into them at speed.

Jado

Likes Dirt
Just a warning guys. I've seen goats on The Rock Trail, and I don't mean riders.

Doing a clean up run this morning, I came across a herd of 30-40 at the Techy section at the end of the ridge. Near Rhiannons' Rollover.
Some of those buggers are running 95cm handlebars.

As I was only running and not moving as fast as a rider would, I heard them ahead, but I would hate to run into them at speed.
Farrrk!! :twitch:

Is there an ABP out from a local farm missing a herd of goats??

(I personally like a narrower bar for the Rock Trail)

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The goats have been around for years. What's a worry is that they have grown to be such a large group. If you go scrambling along the cliffs out on the Georges River there are heaps of spots that are covered in goat shit.

I've regularly seen goats, rabbits, foxes, koalas, kangaroos, wallabies and a deer in the PM Ck area. I remember years ago seeing the biggest fox I think I have ever seen down in the side valley near the bucket climb.

BTW. You need to watch out for Swamp Wallabies in the Bendi area. Twice in the last few weeks I have had a close encounter with them. Dumb bastards bound across in front of you for some stupid reason. Several spots up near Darling Ave show signs that they are sleeping in the area at the moment.

Cheers,
CBG.

Last edited:

Jado

Likes Dirt
The goats have been around for years. What's a worry is that they have grown to be such a large group. If you go scrambling along the cliffs out on the Georges River there are heaps of spots that are covered in goat shit.

I've regularly seen goats, rabbits, foxes, koalas, kangaroos, wallabies and a deer in the PM Ck area. I remember years ago seeing the biggest fox I think I have ever seen down in the side valley near the bucket climb.

BTW. You need to watch out for Swamp Wallabies in the Bendi area. Twice in the last few weeks I have had a close encounter with them. Dumb bastards bound across in front of you for some stupid reason. Several spots up near Darling Ave show signs that they are sleeping in the area at the moment.

Cheers,
CBG.
Never seen goats or deers, I have seen wallabies, rabbits, foxes and kangaroos....

Saw about 5 or 6 descent sized Eastern Grey Kangaroos this morning on the new up track (near 6 bridges) ....they were stopped and looking at me from about 20 foot off the trail

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Yep CBG I've seen one deer in the Peter Meadows area south on the old dump area and have seen their tracks.
Wasn't sure of the tracks but you told me that they were deer. Also saw at night what looked like deer but couldn't confirm.
A mate saw one behind the watertower area at Kentlyn School Saturday arvo just gone.

I'm only concerned about the goats because of the size of the herd. I've only ever seen 6 or so before, but yesterday was a massive herd.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
What used to be Go Low Go Pro and is now a rollover broke yesterday and is now repaired.

Track is quick. A little rain later in the week should make it even quicker.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We desperately need some rain. I've been out giving the Bendi area its' semi-annual rake over and the soil is bone dry.

Just a heads-up. Someone has made themselves a camp in the bush not far off the track near the end of Bendi. So keep your eyes out if riding around there. On the plus side it has given me an idea for some extra loops.

Cheers,
CBG.

yeahyeah

Likes Dirt
We got that rain we were after!

Also guys check out the new Ridgeback trail that's just off six bridges, trail fairies have been at it again!

mtboer

Likes Dirt
We got that rain we were after!

Also guys check out the new Ridgeback trail that's just off six bridges, trail fairies have been at it again!
Is that the trail that goes back up to the North from Six Bridges and comes back down to the Luge ?

yeahyeah

Likes Dirt
Is that the trail that goes back up to the North from Six Bridges and comes back down to the Luge ?
Kind of mate, it peels off to the right at the top then makes its way over to the entrance to the pole trail about 1.7km of new trail in there.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
The Rock Trail is cleaned up except one big tree down 200 metres into trail.
It is after the rock berm to the right early and is a big bugga.
Had a go at it and the saw went blunt, but it had had a tough workout today.
Will get it with a newy in the morning.
CAUTION 200 metres in.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went out this afternoon and checked the Bendi end of things.

Lots of sand has washed away on the trails that run down towards the creek. The descents are now very rocky. Some big ruts have developed on the main fire trail as well.

Overall the single track has survived well. Only had to stop and remove a few fallen trees. A lot of sand has washed into the corners. This will take a while to settle down and could cause traction problems once the sand dries out.

Went around and made some drains so the standing water can get away quicker.

CBG.

Comic Book Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone got an update on 6 bridges? I hope all the bridges are still in place
Sorry, I didn't have to time to go over and have a look today. I'd suggest you might want to go and check them out. We did get an incredible amount of rain and there is flood debris way up the banks of PM creek.

Cheers,
CBG.

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Anyone got an update on 6 bridges? I hope all the bridges are still in place
Just walked Six Bridges and it is in great shape.
I mostly flicked off all the Derailleur breaking sticks and cut one large tree from across the trail.
I made a diversion (temporary and rough) where the trail comes back on to the original main trail and then uses the trail to go to the Luge.
The water there was way too deep and it will be there for a while as it is now a Billabong.

All bridges were okay. The bridge in the western gully is now followed by a water crossing.
The sometimes water crossing after the 2 bridges in the Luge is now full of sand and it is very soft.

Engineering masterpiece the Six Bridges.

yeahyeah

Likes Dirt
Thanks bob, much appreciated mate!
I headed up there this arvo and cleared a lot of the sandy parts out, so it should be good to ride for the long weekend

mtboer

Likes Dirt
Will it be sweet to ride by Sunday?

It's okay to ride now.
A lot of sand has moved, so it is not as fast as it was and will be, when that settles back down.
Six Bridges will be all but 100%. See Yeah Yeah above.
The Rock Trail & Bendi are clear but sand in some wrong places.

Last edited: