Official Old Mans Valley MTB Park - Hornsby

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Last edited:

Fatman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On a better note - Thanks to everyone who went to the working bee there yesterday. I wasn't able to get to this one, but from the look of fatman's pics and a few i saw from snorc a lot was done in pretty miserable conditions. Case of beer on me next time!
Mate the guys doing the stone work, particularly Alan and Dave, did an amazing job. As for me, not smart but can lift heavy things just pushed rocks and clay around. The weather actually helped a but I thought, at least it wasn't hot. It really was great to see so many people out there in the rain smiling. I'll be back next month.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Not to get on my high horse after hauling boulders through the rain yesterday but the trail is still closed and moving the TRAIL CLOSED sign doesn't magically open it.
Thanks for posting this btw, it stirred me into action. I've tracked down at least 4 people on strava and Facebook to point them in the right direction in the future. One chick is claiming on the snorc page that she tried to find out but couldn't get a definitive answer. Not sure what sites show the trail as open.... None I have found have.

Tap tap taparoo sent with tapatalk 2

Last edited:

crosser

Likes Dirt
Thanks for posting this btw, it stirred me into action. I've tracked down at least 4 people on strava and Facebook to point them in the right direction in the future. One chick is claiming on the snorc page that she tried to find out but couldn't get a definitive answer. Not sure what sites show the trail as open.... None I have found have.

Good for you. The Council webpage, their Twitter account and the SNORC Facebook site all show that the trail is closed, so I'm not sure where she got her (mis)information. To judge from the tire tracks visible this morning it was only a tiny fraction of the riders OMV normally sees on a Sunday, but still a real bummer that the sign was removed. To replace the storm fencing we really need a permanent, sturdy, attractive wooden fence containing a gate which can be slid or swung across the trailhead. There probably isn't the budget for it at the moment, but perhaps it would be a good use for some of the timber we pulled out of the Old Hornsby Pool and somebody's carpentry skills...?

Even with the hoons riding the closed track, the build day made it an overwhelmingly positive weekend at OMV. Many thanks to all who showed up in the rain and got stuck into it without the slightest complaint (even when we had to split boulders which were too big!). We ended up finishing most of the Southside jobs and it should all ride really well...when it opens.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At least they pushed the fence aside - up here they have shredded some of our closures and we pay for them out of volunteers pockets. If anyone has an answer to this issue, I'd be glad to hear it. An ACME force field device could have a place at trail closures.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Good for you. The Council webpage, their Twitter account and the SNORC Facebook site all show that the trail is closed, so I'm not sure where she got her (mis)information. To judge from the tire tracks visible this morning it was only a tiny fraction of the riders OMV normally sees on a Sunday, but still a real bummer that the sign was removed. To replace the storm fencing we really need a permanent, sturdy, attractive wooden fence containing a gate which can be slid or swung across the trailhead. There probably isn't the budget for it at the moment, but perhaps it would be a good use for some of the timber we pulled out of the Old Hornsby Pool and somebody's carpentry skills...?

Even with the hoons riding the closed track, the build day made it an overwhelmingly positive weekend at OMV. Many thanks to all who showed up in the rain and got stuck into it without the slightest complaint (even when we had to split boulders which were too big!). We ended up finishing most of the Southside jobs and it should all ride really well...when it opens.
I think the idea of a stockade style gate would be pretty good. it could slide across from the big trail sign board to the other side of the blue trail, similar to how they use the logs on the south side. i mean people will always find a way around. but a big red closed sign on a timber 4x4 gate will at least stop most folks. as it was the riders there yesterday claimed the bunting was already down, so they just went in. There was still the sign stabbed into the ground right in the middle of the path saying closed but they obviously didnt read it.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt

Look, if you're talking about me then let's get this clear. Four day old information is not really good enough. I did not ride the track and haven't since before easter. I don't live near by at all, so finding out before hand whether it's open or not is important to me. I am simply saying that seeing a post from April 3rd doesn't tell me what the status is on April 7th. I had tracks near my house that were completely dry, so i wouldn't assume they are wet everywhere. If only 1 post is going to be made then make it VERY CLEAR that the track is closed "until further notice". Facebook regularly looses posts or doesn't show them in date order. I suggested to a council worker that daily updates for closures would be better, and no one could get confused. Or a web feed of the main sign that would not only show a closed sign but also allow you to identify who the riders are riding it while closed. By the by, asking "sill closed?" and getting "it pissed down yesterday" is not a definitive answer either, nor is flaming people trying to do the right thing by asking. ride happy folks.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Look, if you're talking about me then let's get this clear. Four day old information is not really good enough. I did not ride the track and haven't since before easter. I don't live near by at all, so finding out before hand whether it's open or not is important to me. I am simply saying that seeing a post from April 3rd doesn't tell me what the status is on April 7th. I had tracks near my house that were completely dry, so i wouldn't assume they are wet everywhere. If only 1 post is going to be made then make it VERY CLEAR that the track is closed "until further notice". Facebook regularly looses posts or doesn't show them in date order. I suggested to a council worker that daily updates for closures would be better, and no one could get confused. Or a web feed of the main sign that would not only show a closed sign but also allow you to identify who the riders are riding it while closed. By the by, asking "sill closed?" and getting "it pissed down yesterday" is not a definitive answer either, nor is flaming people trying to do the right thing by asking. ride happy folks.
I agree that more frequent updates are a good idea, but It's pretty clear even from the status on april 3, If its open they will change the status to open and the signs/barriers will be removed.

HORNSBYMBT Twitter - "The Hornsby MB Trail is closed due to soft surface conditions and more rain on the way. Please stay off to prevent damaging the trail"

Hornsby Council Website "Current Trail status The Hornsby MB Trail is closed due to soft surface conditions and more rain on the way. Please stay off to prevent damaging the trail."

I was not flaming you, Please see my message/reply to you on FB.

doctr-dan

Likes Bikes
I don't need to look at the trail status on twitter of FB for some reason my common sense prevails ...... Oh we've had a bit of rain ie, more than a shower best I don't go ride the trail to preserve the surface.
I mean its not that hard to figure out even if the bunting is pushed to the side and you started of for a ride surely you would tell soon enough that hmmmm trails a bit wet best head home.

eckstar

Squid
Forecast for the remainder of the week looks good :dance: , what are the chances of the trail re-opening by Saturday? I am travelling to Sydney (600kms) for a seminar and am bringing the bike with me, specifically so I can ride this trail, will be gutted if it is still closed.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Forecast for the remainder of the week looks good :dance: , what are the chances of the trail re-opening by Saturday? I am travelling to Sydney (600kms) for a seminar and am bringing the bike with me, specifically so I can ride this trail, will be gutted if it is still closed.
the forecast does look good, so with any luck you'll get your shot. just keep checking or subscribe to the HornsbyMBT twitter feed, as soon as it's open you'll know!

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't need to look at the trail status on twitter of FB for some reason my common sense prevails ...... Oh we've had a bit of rain ie, more than a shower best I don't go ride the trail to preserve the surface.
I mean its not that hard to figure out even if the bunting is pushed to the side and you started of for a ride surely you would tell soon enough that hmmmm trails a bit wet best head home.
I don't think you can put it down to common sense. I mean look at Manly Dam, it takes like a month to recover fully from a 2-day downpour, yet OMV appears to recover far quicker. It all depends on the composition and the drainage.

Also, I tried their link to snorc.org.au and found no mention of the trail status on that site. Is that the official site, or is there another?

Reading other posts on this thread, clearly there is room for a more consistent way of communicating the status. Also, if you enter the track from Quarry Rd, then you obviously can't miss the red bunting that closes the track as pictured. But if you ride to the steel gate, the words "trail closed" are tiny and in the same colour as everything else. Ie very easy to miss if it's your first time there. You can then cut in on the track at the whoops and be blissfully unaware of the closure until you get back to the top.

If I can just say this is not a rant, I sincerely appreciate the efforts to put this awesome track together. I just think it will be easier for everyone to respect the trail status if there is an easy and clear method of communication. And if I can help in any way with this please let me know.

PS I'm not on Twitter!

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I tried their link to snorc.org.au and found no mention of the trail status on that site. Is that the official site, or is there another?
no twitter go here

http://www.hornsby.nsw.gov.au/recreation-and-facilities/cycling/hornsby-mountain-bike-trail

Also, if you enter the track from Quarry Rd, then you obviously can't miss the red bunting that closes the track as pictured. But if you ride to the steel gate, the words "trail closed" are tiny and in the same colour as everything else. Ie very easy to miss if it's your first time there. You can then cut in on the track at the whoops and be blissfully unaware of the closure until you get back to the top.
This is definitely an issue, but if you have been to trail before you would know this is not the entrance and therefore not miss the signs.
if your new to the trail you would be hard pressed to miss the info board when you arrive to see where you have to go. Then you would see the signs saying trail closed.
The main problem would be the fire road gate as this cant be closed off to the public as its access for more than just the mtb riders.
I think a bit more signage of decent size would be great along with some access gates at each trail head entrance. Closed signs could be put on these so riders have no doubts.
Like you not everyone is on twitter or has searched on Facebook or google for the website. My question would be how do these riders know about the trail? Word of mouth? LBS? Maybe info in each LBS would be good or even giving staff a bit of helpful info to pass on.

At the end of the day though its the council and the mountain bike community as a whole needing to work together for a better system.

crosser

Likes Dirt
At the end of the day though its the council and the mountain bike community as a whole needing to work together for a better system.

We suggested half-jokingly at one of the build days that there should be a website called hornsbymountainbiketrail.com or the like which would consist of nothing but the words TRAIL CLOSED on a red background or TRAIL OPEN on a green background. Maybe it should be flashing in some kind of annoying fashion too...

CP

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fox - thanks for the link, have bookmarked it. Interestingly I passed by the track today about 3pm and it was marked as closed, yet the site at the moment says open. Has it changed since 3pm?

And re the firetrail gate, yeah that's the one I meant. I mention it because it's exactly where I went on my first ride, not knowing the proper start point.

Ja-Mez

Likes Dirt
bought a set of lights just in time! was checking trail status all arvo. when i gave up it finally opens! bring on tomorrow! :dance:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
bought a set of lights just in time! was checking trail status all arvo. when i gave up it finally opens! bring on tomorrow! :dance:
Sorry mate trail is only open during daylight hours, one day we might get night access but not yet.

Ja-Mez

Likes Dirt
that sucks. is it due to insurances or more so to minimise impact on locals? ie dont want noise/gatherings of a night!