Official Old Mans Valley MTB Park - Hornsby

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just replied to the facebook comment thread.

It's a shame, but you have to expect some people are selfish and don't understand what it means to share the trail. I got caught out on Friday when I caught the train out to Hornsby (hour and a half one way) and discovered the trail was closed, pretty annoying but I didn't ride the track. Went to westleigh instead.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Mentioned on snorc's fb thread
should be legal as the cars were parked in a public place?

Speaking of which..... Saw a prick riding a orange HT salsa, driving a golf gti when the trail was closed....... :p
Mustn't have been me, I ride a Surly :lol:

Might be legal, but doesn't make it ethical. What if some vigilante idiot actually does use the photo to key their car or slash their tyres. Who's liable then? Seriously, the attitude in some of those comments scares the shit out of me. Poor form from both sides.

Last edited:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid

It's a shame, but you have to expect some people are selfish and don't understand what it means to share the trail. I got caught out on Friday when I caught the train out to Hornsby (hour and a half one way) and discovered the trail was closed, pretty annoying but I didn't ride the track. Went to westleigh instead.
top marks for doing the right thing... poor marks to old mate Adam calling you an idiot, the guys just butthurt for being caught out.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt

How is Westleigh better ??? Once the wet gets in there it can take weeks to dry out again. It also has a sign up saying not to ride in the wet...it's pretty huge too, can't miss it... no hate, Westleigh is a much better track anyway and needed a bit of rain.

Where I live got half as much rain as Hornsby did on saturday. Keeping that social media shit UP TO DATE is very important in a city that's so big and has the potential for varied weather conditions across the suburban area. Common sense is loosing on all sides here. FoxP, I seriously doubt if someone would assult you in a public place where you could identify them or their car for calling them out about the track; being told to get fucked is only going to hurt pride. Calling from a car window will still get a point across if they're scary dudes. Some of the shit people are suggesting--slashed tires, keying cars, etc.--is insane. How is that helping ???? If you're going to do that shit, nut up and do it while the guy is standing right there. Then be sure to tell council you've done it at their track because you thought it was yours and forgot it was public....then call the pigs so they can arrest the dudes riding a closed track, surely that will have been the most egregious crime commeted.

FWIW i've spent days digging at both Westleigh and OMV, amongst other places. I get annoyed when people ruin hard work, but at a public track you just have to deal with it. In a couple days I'll proly be out fixing up a track that will have been destroyed in the rain just so I can enjoy it, even if it's only for 1 day.

AzonicNick

Likes Dirt
How has the trail taken to all the crap weather and storms recently? I see the trail is closed but wondering what the chances are of a spin this weekend?

Cheers

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
How has the trail taken to all the crap weather and storms recently? I see the trail is closed but wondering what the chances are of a spin this weekend?

Cheers
A number of large trees were down and the synergy trails guys were in there doing cleanup. I think they were assessing the trail on the weekend and had hoped to open it but something still remains to keep it closed. Could be all sorts of debris caught up in the canopy though. Given the showers forecast through this week I wouldn't hold my breath!

taibo

Eats Squid
Mentioned on snorc's fb thread
should be legal as the cars were parked in a public place?

Speaking of which..... Saw a prick riding a orange HT salsa, driving a golf gti when the trail was closed.......
bit rich coming from a guy who rode Westleigh in the wet yesterday, despite being told it wasnt in ideal conditions...

ChopSticks

Banned
bit rich coming from a guy who rode Westleigh in the wet yesterday, despite being told it wasnt in ideal conditions...
completely agree'd
hence would be more than happy to attend the next maintenance day :)

not that its any excuse but we only did one lap, and I tried my best to stay out of all the puddles.... although the track really wasn't that wet, the open field leading up into it is a completely different story... that was UNDERWATER.
we then spent the next 1.5hrs just doing constant laps of the beginners loop (at the very start) with those 3 jumps as they were bone dry.

taibo

Eats Squid
LOL...prefacing an excuse by saying it's no excuse

Staying out of puddles by creating new lines around the puddles therefore widening the track resulting in further erosion of the track...yeah ok mate. You guys were told to stay off the track before you even arrived at the track by a fellow rider.

There is a sign that says stay off the track when it is wet. No exceptions.
Was it wet? Yes
Were you on the track? Yes

So before you go pointing fingers and and calling other people names, maybe you should take a piece of your own advice. You and your mates are just as bad as the guys that ride OMV when it is closed.

Don't ruin it for those that manage to do the right thing. If you want to go destroy things, do it in your own backyard, not mine.

ChopSticks

Banned
LOL...prefacing an excuse by saying it's no excuse

Staying out of puddles by creating new lines around the puddles therefore widening the track resulting in further erosion of the track...yeah ok mate. You guys were told to stay off the track before you even arrived at the track by a fellow rider.

There is a sign that says stay off the track when it is wet. No exceptions.
Was it wet? Yes
Were you on the track? Yes

So before you go pointing fingers and and calling other people names, maybe you should take a piece of your own advice. You and your mates are just as bad as the guys that ride OMV when it is closed.

Don't ruin it for those that manage to do the right thing. If you want to go destroy things, do it in your own backyard, not mine.
My apologise again for ruining your backyard, I'm more than happy to come around in the evenings to help out with future maintenance :)

Honestly.... I haven't seem a single sign in there, where is it located? Before the open field or after?

With regards to calling Elbo names.... I'm sure Elliot knows it was only a joke and I meant no offence :)
if he took offence I'm sure he would've called me to let me know :)

Tai... Feel free to hit me up on either Facebook or here and tell me the next time you're there doing any work :)

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My apologise again for ruining your backyard, I'm more than happy to come around in the evenings to help out with future maintenance :)

Honestly.... I haven't seem a single sign in there, where is it located? Before the open field or after?

With regards to calling Elbo names.... I'm sure Elliot knows it was only a joke and I meant no offence :)

Tai... Feel free to hit me up on either Facebook or here and tell me the next time you're there doing any work :)
Drama, drama, D R A M A !!

Tai, you're such a meanie

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
None was taken. Its a very rare day if I take Chops seriously.. :loco: haha

taibo

Eats Squid

its hard to see the signs when you having so much fun riding in the mud...

and no need for me to tell you when im doing any work, im not the one with the guilty conscience of riding people's tracks in the wet after slagging off other people for riding closed tracks.

and your apology means jack shit, because lets face it, you're not sorry. You were warned and told to stay off the track yet you continued to do a lap and even considered another.

You're only sorry you got caught out.

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
How is Westleigh better ??? Once the wet gets in there it can take weeks to dry out again. It also has a sign up saying not to ride in the wet...it's pretty huge too, can't miss it...
Mothafucka, it's massive. It's eye level at the fence dude. The only, and i mean ONLY way you could miss it is if you're blind or just don't give a shit about riding closed trails. You absolutely cannot get to the trail without encountering it. If you're so into trail maintanence, you'd've met the guys who work at Westleigh at an OMV build day and you'd know them because you'd've seen them building at 2hos.

taibo

Eats Squid
Mothafucka, it's massive. It's eye level at the fence dude. The only, and i mean ONLY way you could miss it is if you're blind or just don't give a shit about riding closed trails. You absolutely cannot get to the trail without encountering it. If you're so into trail maintanence, you'd've met the guys who work at Westleigh at an OMV build day and you'd know them because you'd've seen them building at 2hos.
LOL. i think all the cool kids say "PWNED" in this instance...

ChopSticks

Banned
its hard to see the signs when you having so much fun riding in the mud...

and no need for me to tell you when im doing any work, im not the one with the guilty conscience of riding people's tracks in the wet after slagging off other people for riding closed tracks.

and your apology means jack shit, because lets face it, you're not sorry. You were warned and told to stay off the track yet you continued to do a lap and even considered another.

You're only sorry you got caught out.
The sad thing is... I am genuinely apologising. Yet you think I'm being sarcastic...?
I know the crew that built OMV are also behind Westleigh, hence why I have extended my hand to help, and would much prefer working with you, than myself moving or 'fixing' things that don't/shouldn't be fixed.
The track wasn't as wet as you guys make it out to be, yes the field was water logged, but the wettest bits inside the track was the sandstone.
Didn't want to continue riding beyond the loop after seeing giant ants and a leech on one of the guys.... so we stuck to the tiny beginners loop that was dry.

Mothafucka, it's massive. It's eye level at the fence dude. The only, and i mean ONLY way you could miss it is if you're blind or just don't give a shit about riding closed trails. You absolutely cannot get to the trail without encountering it. If you're so into trail maintenance, you'd've met the guys who work at Westleigh at an OMV build day and you'd know them because you'd've seen them building at 2hos.
I swear to God I have not noticed the sign, and that's the god honest truth. Up to you if you believe it or not...

As I said to Tai, I'm no trail fairy. But I am more than happy to help when I can with the right guidance (you, Tai, Synergy).

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Alright ladies, calm down.

Yes, Norm did the wrong thing. After being warned about the condition. Bit of an amateur move, but hey, you can't un-ring a bell.
He's admitted it, and apologised.

Tai, I gather you're pretty pissed about it, and rightly so. But is there really any need to carry on and beat your chest over the internet?
I'm sure Norm won't be making the same mistake twice.
And if you really wanna make sure he learns from it, just trow a stick in his spokes next time you see him....

End result:
Norm did something dumb.
Tai's pissed about it.
Move on.

Last edited:

stinky1138

Likes Dirt
This was just a huge debate with tempers going way beyond decency about OMV. The common factor in both of these incidents is that COMMON SENSE was not used. Both people apologised but we should only forgive chops ??
Considering that Chops said people tires should be slashed for riding closed trails, I see this as a very relevant thing to be talking about. One internet bully deserves another.

If 2hos doesn't exist, OMV doesn't exist, if you don't respect one, you don't respect the other. Ask one of the "leaders" of the teams next build day at OMV, they'll let you know about 2hos.