Official Old Mans Valley MTB Park - Hornsby

crosser

Likes Dirt
Old Mans Valley Bike Festival

By now OMV has become so much a part of our lives that it is difficult to remember when, only a few years ago, one walked past that sad-looking privet forest thinking ‘man it would be great to build some singletrack in there, but stuff like that never happens, not in Sydney…’ Well, it did happen, and many many people’s lives are the better for it.

Now, after so many mattocks swung, so many drains cleared out, however many tonnes of rock armouring laid down, after however many tens of thousands of laps ridden, however many fast laps, slow laps, hot laps, cold laps, illegal rainy laps, laps caught behind brush turkeys…it’s time to celebrate.

On 13 December we (Sydney North Off Road Cyclists) are holding the Old Mans Valley Bike Festival, the first event in the history of OMV. The festival will bring a full day of racing for kids through elites all within a short train ride or drive of Sydney. There will also be a fundraising barbecue and bike demos.

The day will begin with the Hornado Cross cyclocross race, in which riders will traverse meadows, fire trails, some primo Old Mans Valley singletrack and chase brush turkeys up the soon to be notorious 55 sandstone steps of the Higgins Hornado Heritage Heckle Hill. While the course is by no means jungle cross, and no tornadoes are forecast at this time, it will have enough of an old school New World vibe that is probably a good idea to leave the Dugasts at home. I have personally begun cutting in the course — the idea is that even after the event OMV will become a hotbed for CX as well at MTB (and CX trails can double as much-needed beginner MTB trails).

After the Hornado Cross the festival will continue with a full slate of cross country racing for all levels, linking up some of Old Mans Valley’s best single track.

The day will close with the uniting of the full face helmet brigade and the knights in white lycra in the inaugural Bomber/Whippet Relay, a one lap time trial in which the first rider (the Bomber) descends from the top of the valley and tags off at the bottom to a teammate (the Whippet) who climbs back up. Everyone I’ve talked to about this one seems petty psyched about it, even if Bombers think they will have to persuade Whippets to be the Whippet.

As well as being a good time, the festival is a chance to show local land managers that we appreciate the roaring success of the Hornsby Trails, but that a couple of dozen kilometres of legal singletrack is not enough for a city of four and a half million. We got OMV built by showing up in numbers and in order to keep the singletrack flowing in the future we need to continue to remind decision-makers that we exist and that we have a good argument on our side. Since OMV opened, we’ve gone from one step forward three steps back to maybe one leap forward one stagger back, which is an improvement, but it would be nice to see this city reach something like its full MTB potential.

In any case, we hope that the festival will be the first of many events at OMV.

Registration is now open at Eventbrite . Sign up early as places are limited to avoid overcrowding on the track. For more information please visit snorc.org.au.

Proceeds from the festival will be divided between SNORC’s trail building activities and the Hornsby Kuring-gai Women’s Shelter.

Attachments

jrewing

Eats Squid
I'm registered.. Where's the bomber section start? The top of the warm up south loop? Be cool to cross the road as part of it.

Last edited:

crosser

Likes Dirt
I'm registered.. Where's the bomber section start? The top of the warm up north loop? Be cool to cross the road as part of it.
We haven't completely decided yet. Top of the Southside loop would be cool, but it makes the timing a little more difficult if the start/finish are not in the same place and there isn't much space for people to gather up there, but we'll see.

bowtajzane

Likes Dirt
I'll be out there tomorrow morning, pending the weather, haven't ridden the new
section yet, fingers crossed it's dry so keep a eye out for a blue Turner.........
Hopefully I'll be on it when you see it. ...:lol:

tubby74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
what sort of morning times are considered reasonable without annoying the residents? not a whooping and hollering kind of person but are they complaining about general traffic for dawn starts?

willsy01

Eats Squid
Be mindful that it's closed at the moment.

As long as you're not making a racket I can't imagine an early start being an issue. I was there about 2 weeks ago (not early, middle of the day) and there was a group of about a dozen guys all speaking Portuguese that were making incredible amounts of noise. You could hear them all the way along the top loop and then across the road and down the hill.

[/oldmanyellsatcloud]

stickso

Likes Dirt
What's the status with the trails? Been a couple of good days sunshine so hoping to get out there tomorrow afternoon.

rmvvwls

Likes Bikes
Anyone know the current status? Nothing says it's closed, but there has been rain.

Also, anyone want a ride tomorrow morning? I'll be there from about 9am onwards. Yellow jersey, black and red hardtail.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Anyone know the current status? Nothing says it's closed, but there has been rain.

Also, anyone want a ride tomorrow morning? I'll be there from about 9am onwards. Yellow jersey, black and red hardtail.
When did it rain? I have not seen anything in the last few days except a bit of spitting.

rmvvwls

Likes Bikes
When did it rain? I have not seen anything in the last few days except a bit of spitting.
I've been up in QLD, and someone said there was some rain. In that case, I'll be there in the morning.

EDIT: Goddamnit.
Untitled.jpg

Maybe in the afternoon if it dries out.

Last edited:

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
We had a bit of rain overnight and a small passing shower this morning. Unsure of track conditions though as I've not been there for a month or so.

rmvvwls

Likes Bikes
There was a couple of puddles through turkey run, but overall it was just kinda slippery.
Maybe let it dry out a little more unless you really like making those technical climbs even harder.