One for the Graf/Stencil/street artists.... Apparently we're up to post #623 now

camoshop

Banned
logged in to my devientart account i forgot i had and found these scribbles from around 1996,

also heres my last paintings i did.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Where'd you learn to write Johnny? I used to be able to do really nice hand letters back when I was in primary school (block and gothic style) but I've lost the touch. Been meaning to get back into it for ages. Bought a Wacom but it doesn't see much art.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Don't mean to sound wanky and cliche but I learned on the trains and on the street. It's not really something you can be taught. Like poetry, musical talent, etc., you just get it and do it. I started in about 1983 when I was in school.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Don't mean to sound wanky and cliche but I learned on the trains and on the street.
Ah, the good old fashioned way.
It's not really something you can be taught. Like poetry, musical talent, etc., you just get it and do it. I started in about 1983 when I was in school.
I don't think those things can't be taught. While you might not be able to teach style or taste or teach it in a manner like maths surely you can teach technique. I'm still waiting on more installments of how to draw letters.

I guess I'm a little too lazy to fill the pages with the block letters required to get my hands in and my bars consistent. I also find I've got the eye to create nice straight letters but struggle to tweak them and take it further. Maybe some time I'll be able to dedicate some effort.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Wow. Well, each to their own but in my opinion it's not something that can be straight up taught and the stuff on that website is seriously, seriously ugly and waaaaay off point. Mate, I'd really suggest you don't waste your time with that website.

The only way to learn it is to do the pages and pages of straights and simples and getting the fundamentals of letters correct. If you don't have that you'll never have anything. Sorry man but it would be like trying to ride world cup DH trails without getting off training wheels first. You just can't skip the basics and fundamentals.