Online Stores List and Info

Binaural

Eats Squid
So I need a new 34t SRAM red chainring. I can't find it from any Australian retailer, nor courtesy of the SRAM geoblock can I get it from OS. Fuck you, SRAM.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
+1. Every opportunity I get to roast sram. Haven't bought anything sram for 18 months and counting. Two can play this game.
Never bought sram. Always had drama’s when I wrenched in a shop, truvativ hussefelt cranks can eat a bagfull. And the gearsets were sooooooo over rated.

There still so expensive! Fuck $800 for a cassette. Thats ridiculous.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Holy shit, I thought you were kidding. I saw $550 for a 12sp cassette and nearly fell off my chair.

I am avoiding SRAM going forward, without international options they're hugely more expensive than their competitors in general.

Z

Zaf

Holy shit, I thought you were kidding. I saw $550 for a 12sp cassette and nearly fell off my chair.
I am avoiding SRAM going forward, without international options they're hugely more expensive than their competitors in general.
Luckily, they last for about 100,000km and rarely need replacing. Sometimes you just gotta spend money to save money.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Luckily, they last for about 100,000km and rarely need replacing. Sometimes you just gotta spend money to save money.
Is there really any hard evidence the clustesrs last significantly longer though in real world usage though? They don't have an usual manufacturing method or materials that would make you expect a step change in wear life. From admittedly shallow googling, it looks as if people are praising the chain, not the cluster. Given the overall cost of the system, something like XX1 would need to last about 3 times as long as a convention chain/cluster combo (more if you replace chains on wear measurements before they wreck the cluster

Flow-Rider

Burner
Is there really any hard evidence the clustesrs last significantly longer though in real world usage though? They don't have an usual manufacturing method or materials that would make you expect a step change in wear life. From admittedly shallow googling, it looks as if people are praising the chain, not the cluster. Given the overall cost of the system, something like XX1 would need to last about 3 times as long as a convention chain/cluster combo (more if you replace chains on wear measurements before they wreck the cluster
I don't think they're anything special from all the photos I've seen of teeth breaking off.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Are you talking about gearboxes or SRAM clusters?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zaf
Z

Zaf

My mistake, I was thinking of another solution that has 12speeds, equal steps between each gear and lasts 100,000km and gets better shifting as it wears.
SRAM lets you pay $550 every 4000km (at best) to keep it running.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Yeah, gearboxes are a different world in terms of working life. I used to work for a drivetrain design consultancy that worked on cars and wind turbines, lasting a lifetime with the dinky little forces a human can apply would be child's play.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yeah, gearboxes are a different world in terms of working life. I used to work for a drivetrain design consultancy that worked on cars and wind turbines, lasting a lifetime with the dinky little forces a human can apply would be child's play.
Can you design a gearbox that can shift under load? Like mtbs? Can you handle the coffee in Germany? Have I got the the job for you.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Z

Zaf

Can you design a gearbox that can shift under load? Like mtbs? Can you handle the coffee in Germany? Have I got the the job for you.
Although from a technical standpoint, I agree; from a practicality point of view, I'm not sure how necessary it actually is. Owners very rarely seem to have an issue with the functionality; everyone who buys the Pinion boxes says "it takes a short period to learn the new system and adjust to how it shifts, then it's fine".

Nobody is (should be?) stomping pedals during gear changes to begin with as it wrecks cassettes. But I'm a bit of a tight arse, $550 for a cassette isn't really that much. It's not like the chains and chainrings are that much either; or need replacing at the same time. I'm sure you can get plenty of mileage from the cluster with little to no maintenance as well.