over vs under-biked.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
130-140mm 29er
I think most of us are in that camp, but it feels like the bike manufacturers are pushing this further and further along the travel spectrum. Something like a norco sight (the corolla bike i call it), it's gained 29" tyres and about 40mm travel. All the mid travel bikes have now become long and fully DH capable.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I think most of us are in that camp, but it feels like the bike manufacturers are pushing this further and further along the travel spectrum. Something like a norco sight (the corolla bike i call it), it's gained 29" tyres and about 40mm travel. All the mid travel bikes have now become long and fully DH capable.
The flip-side is XC bikes are slowly becoming the new 120mm trail bike with good all-round geometry, but retaining the crazy light weights.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I am definitely overbiked these daze as I'm old (mid 60's) and never want to go over the bars again.

Also, I'm not racing to be at the front of anything... races, mates or strava... so riding a sled is fine.

I'm glad to have the extra travel and kicked out forks for the 1% of the ride that involves a pucker moment.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Sooo..... the vibe is bikes are basically following cars (like where a 3 Series is now the same size as a Commodore and can weigh up to 1800kg?)

Pervesely though - as the article says - your average tank is now way more versatile than it has any right to be.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Used to Xc on this, never felt under biked
About 5-6yrs ago at a Fox Creek XC race, a bloke lined up in a motocross jersey and pants, full face helmet and a DH bike. The only person there that day that didn't think he was over biked was him. He pushed it up the steep bits and let rip on the downs.

I remember seeing him slumped over his bike at the finish and thinking he was a nut job, he was absolutely cooked but still smiling.

safreek

About 5-6yrs ago at a Fox Creek XC race, a bloke lined up in a motocross jersey and pants, full face helmet and a DH bike. The only person there that day that didn't think he was over biked was him. He pushed it up the steep bits and let rip on the downs.

I remember seeing him slumped over his bike at the finish and thinking he was a nut job, he was absolutely cooked but still smiling.
Yeah, without the safety equipment that is me. It's a buzz kicking xc territory on a luuump

moorey

call me Mia

Dude on our Saturday ride last weekend rocked up on old XC hardtail with FF, dianese body armour, full leg pads….for a 30km ride that’s 40% fire road and bitumen. I said he was a bit overdressed. He said he heard there’s a few jump on the loop. There is…maybe 2….maybe 1’ high with flat landings….and he went around each one anyway.

j0w1s

Likes Dirt
Building a 120mm trail bike, hiring a 157mm this weekend. I have never ridden anything over 140mm before. Fuck I will laugh if I actually end up loving the long travel.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Dude on our Saturday ride last weekend rocked up on old XC hardtail with FF, dianese body armour, full leg pads….for a 30km ride that’s 40% fire road and bitumen. I said he was a bit overdressed. He said he heard there’s a few jump on the loop. There is…maybe 2….maybe 1’ high with flat landings….and he went around each one anyway.
I'd just like to take this opportunity to let everyone know I have been adhering to the current Melbourne metro COVID restrictions despite how it may sound... :oops:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I am definitely overbiked these daze as I'm old (mid 60's) and never want to go over the bars again.

Also, I'm not racing to be at the front of anything... races, mates or strava... so riding a sled is fine.

I'm glad to have the extra travel and kicked out forks for the 1% of the ride that involves a pucker moment.
You go well on the Kona !

Reminds me of the 'older' gentleman I seen a few months (I told the story here somewhere), I was catching up to him and as I approached I was like "Hmmmm, Trek Slash 9.9... nice"
We exchanged - G'day mates !!! Poor bloke was well in his 60's and some flogs had sold him a 10K 170mm bike to ride the National Park with. Maybe he wanted the big bike, maybe he was badly advised. It was way too big a bike to be climbing firetracks on efficiently at his age.