Pads for a gravel bike

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
We used to use the Jagwire compressionless outers back in the day with avid BB7's brakes and it worked pretty well. I can still remember doing some big descents at the Qld/NSW border ranges and the brakes stopped relatively well, it wouldn't be anywhere near the power of a four spot brake caliper of today but never had any near death experiences and some of it was quite steep.
Sounds good to me.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
I think it's the unfamiliarity that gets people. Can't juts rip it out easily and no idea abut servicing etc. From an engineering perspective it adds another link to the chain. Personally I am surprised that the thing would cost less than juts running full hydro.
the cable shifters are heaps cheaper than hydro’s, add in relatively cheap tektro hydro calipers and they are close to half price for full hydro setup

Calvin27

Eats Squid
the cable shifters are heaps cheaper than hydro’s, add in relatively cheap tektro hydro calipers and they are close to half price for full hydro setup
GRX600/105 can be had for around $600 including lines and calipers. The alternative is mec 105 shifters at about $350 + $200 for spyres and then the converter. Of course this might shift when considering wholesale instead of retail prices but I'd imagine it should be roughly equal bar the spyres which would be a massive retail markup. Probably a $50 saving if at all, but that's really stabbing the dark.

DMan

GRX600/105 can be had for around $600 including lines and calipers. The alternative is mec 105 shifters at about $350 + $200 for spyres and then the converter. Of course this might shift when considering wholesale instead of retail prices but I'd imagine it should be roughly equal bar the spyres which would be a massive retail markup. Probably a $50 saving if at all, but that's really stabbing the dark.
You have to change shifter/brake lever and calliper to go from mechanical to hydro right?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I thought so. Most of what I checked was $500 an end
Low stock but here is 1x11 GRX for $580

A few months back they were selling 105 for about the same price and about $500 odd for GRX400 2x10. Will likely need new RD though.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Road hydro shifters are silly expensive... I bought from Merlin a few years ago, was 500 or something for the non series Ultegra RS-685. Bloody nice though, they've been flawless and are a joy to use - still enjoying them long after I've forgotten the cost!

DMan

Low stock but here is 1x11 GRX for $580

A few months back they were selling 105 for about the same price and about $500 odd for GRX400 2x10. Will likely need new RD though.
At that price I reckon I'd save and swap out my wife's 2X10 GRX

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Road hydro shifters are silly expensive
It's what happens when you integrate the shifter and brake. MTB stuff costs a fair bit less in comparison mainly because the brake and shifters are seperate meaning folks like hope, magura and trp can force some competition, and even between sram shimano you can chop and change.

Haakon

It's what happens when you integrate the shifter and brake. MTB stuff costs a fair bit less in comparison mainly because the brake and shifters are seperate meaning folks like hope, magura and trp can force some competition, and even between sram shimano you can chop and change.
Yes indeed. And to be fair, they really are a great bit of engineering.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Question though Duck (or anyone who knows!). Do the adapters come off flatmount brakes so you can change rotor size if you want? I'd like to try those ZTTO brakes but they come in a 140mm format and my bike has 160mm rotors...
The front mount is reversible for 140/160mm. If the rear is mounted on a wedge adaptor, that can be removed to reduce rotor size; if the caliper is sitting flush on the frame then you can't go smaller.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Do they sell conduct system separately? i am thinking of putting up a wanted ad for someone who has upgraded
I don't know if the Conduct system is available aftermarket, but to be honest I haven't looked. One thing to be mindful of if hunting out a used set is that you'll likely also need a Giant stem; the reservoir/MC unit doubles as the stem face plate, so you'll need matching hole spacing.

Haakon

I don't know if the Conduct system is available aftermarket, but to be honest I haven't looked. One thing to be mindful of if hunting out a used set is that you'll likely also need a Giant stem; the reservoir/MC unit doubles as the stem face plate, so you'll need matching hole spacing.