Painting Spokes

Lemontime

Eats Squid
I'm so sta-reet, while everyone else was stealing from the supermarket, I was waiting at the check-out to BUY my food..

i once stole a 90cm crowbar was hard it looked like i had a mega boner and i had just been ass raped by a big black guy

'Ross

Eats Squid
It may not be a BMX, but them spokes are definately painted. Ill give you a hint, no masking was involved, no aerosol was applied, and definately no paint pens:rolleyes:,

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It may not be a BMX, but them spokes are definately painted. Ill give you a hint, no masking was involved, no aerosol was applied, and definately no paint pens:rolleyes:,

Good old tin of paint and a paint brush?

I painted my spokes and rim once back when I had a kmart bike. I chose a hyundai xcel Purple colour. I must say you do tend to waste heaps of spray paint when you do the spokes, particularly to get a couple of coats on them.

Using a suitable paint brush sounds like a great option. I've used paint pens in the past (mostly not on bike stuff) and for me they always seem to be crap & not work properly.

RampRider7

Likes Dirt
yea but mutha hucka i know it turns out good it just doesnt leave the good paint finish. Plus you can see thats its been done with a paint pen it wont look as good plus ive you scratch it you have to wait till the next month or so to paint them again.

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
and is anyone gonna help me with spokes or talk about stealin stuf they already own?(laugh)

well i was going to comment on the fact that you could possible steal your wheel of the bike shop after they have re-laced it with coloured spokes.. ?

'Ross

Eats Squid
Pebble wins, using a paint brush is the best method, as long as you use a nice soft one and do it continuously in the same direction. Very easy, works far better than spraying, I have tried both.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My father in law paints just about anything (he's definitely not into bikes though) and always with a paint brush!
My husband painted a whole Troopy with a paint brush once, it was a hammered metal finish so not that hard to come up looking pretty ok.
Me I like the spray can, particularly for bigger stuff (like a kids table, mail box etc), I'm just crap at painting with a brush and have no real patience or desire to persevere & do a better job.

So if you don't mind masking it all off (could be easier if you take your tires off?) and you don't mind going through a few cans of paint then spray it. I think it's easier to get a good finish this way.
Or alternately if you don't want to spend a huge amount of time masking or go through a heap of paint, and you think you have the patience & care then do it with a brush. I suppose the right type of brush & technique would leave no brush marks, but then again how noticeable would they be on spokes anyway! I can see the other benefit is that you can alternate colours too which would be a lot harder to do using a can!

RampRider7

Likes Dirt
i was just wondering do your spokes shrink if you take them off? because otherwise ill take them off spray them then put them back onn but people are saying your spokes shrink and they dont stretch?

/\/\3qq3/\/\

Likes Dirt
You shouldn't relase used spokes.
End of story. Stupid idea.

Just spray them, will take a minute or two. Quick and easy.
For the time you it's taken you to decide the best way, you could of done it and be on your merry way.

Mutha_Hucka

Likes Dirt
Painted the spokes yet?
has he got the hazard wheel yet? no he never will. I went all the way to the shops with him coz he said he said he wanted to steal a paint pen and he pussied out.

yea but mutha hucka i know it turns out good it just doesnt leave the good paint finish. Plus you can see thats its been done with a paint pen it wont look as good plus ive you scratch it you have to wait till the next month or so to paint them again.
I have a name and you know it. you said 'it turns out good but doesn't have a good paint finish'. that doesn't make sense

Last edited: