Painting Spokes

/\/\3qq3/\/\

Likes Dirt
If there off a brand new wheel and not fatigued then you might able to get away with it.
Or if you cross lace them.
If not then they've been stretched to the wheel size. And will be weaker.

Bowlo

Eats Squid
has he got the hazard wheel yet? no he never will. I went all the way to the shops with him coz he said he said he wanted to steal a paint pen and he pussied out.

I have a name and you know it. you said 'it turns out good but doesn't have a good paint finish'. that doesn't make sense
ALEX IT IS!! :rolleyes:

Buy coloured spokes, Will look alot better. Does he even have the wheel yet ALex?

I heard once the wheel is built up the spokes stretch ove time?

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
i am having trouble seeing how the spkes strech to the 'wheel size'and how it matters?

the spokes are not a fixed object, you have a 5mm nipple, of room for it to apprantly stretch... and if a spke streches 5 mm, i would love to see it. i would then happily stick the spoke up me pen.....iz

onl thing i can think off, is maybe if you buckled the wheel badly, then the spokes could have been streched/bent.

ive always re used spokes, never been told not to, and i have always had my wheels rebuilt be a decent and well known wheel builder.

feel free to correct me. as i said im not 100 percent sure. just never heard of anyone complaining about streching spokes.. unless the wheel has been tacoed.

RampRider7

Likes Dirt
yea what do you mean 'have you bought the hazard wheel yet'? dude seriuosly lay of the crack. And i was gonna steal one but someone named richard stole the red one i wanted so there was no use stealing the one that they didnt have.

/\/\3qq3/\/\

Likes Dirt
From other posts what I can work out is that he is getting a new back rim, seeing as I don't if he is a smooth rider or not I went with the safe option of saying unsmooth.
So just wondering why he needs a new back rim, either due to not liking it or just rooted it.
As you stated sawtell that "you've never been told not to" I asked my mate (works at belrose bike) he said you shouldn't. Due to stretching, blah blah.
But before I commented on this thread I check the danscomp section on wheel building.
http://www.danscomp.com/serve.php?serve=faq&html=wheels_hubs_faqs.htm
And thought if they don't do it then there must be a reason.

Ty

Eats Squid
I've reused spokes before with mixed results, i think the threaded portion of the spoke stretches slightly when you build them so they are slightly harder to get back upto tension, you probably wouldn't notice it so much on a bmx wheel which is quite stiff with lots of short spokes, but on a low spoke count (sub 28ish) mtb or road wheel some times you (I) can 'feel' it bind as you bring it up to tension in the final part of the build and it just doesn't 'feel' right.

all of the above is personal experience, results may vary.

Ty

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
where do you but paint markers? i need a white one
paint marker shop... if not the toilet store

... but seriously paint shops, hardware shops, plumbing shops all sell them (also known as a grout pen) ...

or newsagency, or an art store where they can be called a ''posca'

RampRider7

Likes Dirt
you get paint pens form the newsagency at glenrose or forestway. and i take it you know where they are if you know bowlo?

RampRider7

Likes Dirt
alex no one wants to hear it this is a thread about spokes not your whinging. And i wasnt talking to bowlo i was agreing on the fact that they stop shutting each other own like im doing now(laugh).

Mutha_Hucka

Likes Dirt
alex no one wants to hear it this is a thread about spokes not your whinging. And i wasnt talking to bowlo i was agreing on the fact that they stop shutting each other own like im doing now(laugh).
well your post about bowlo didn't have much to do with painting spokes did it?