Parking at Ourimbah!!!!!

mattyd

Likes Dirt
Yeah I was up there a few weeks ago and saw the signs but just thought it meant MORE parking 350m up the hill. I thought how nice of whoever put that there to point that out.
I think the signs need some re-working.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
Instead of putting a sign up where people 'used' to park - and it being forestry controlled, why not put a sign up at the entrance off the main road.

Big and bold so when you drive in, you cant miss it.

If correctly positioned, it would mean it wasnt on Forestry land maybe?

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If the club cant put a sign up in the carpark, why not plonk a couple up on the xc/dh track?

I have to admit, I recognised the signs as 'additional parking further up the hill' rather than 'dont park here, park there'

loc81

Likes Dirt
I reckon the best bet is to not give people the option, like Awaba, with old telegraph poles bordering the area which is parking -or in this case- where you aren't allowed. Christ knows what the availability and cost of the poles are- no doubt it's just another hoop to jump through..

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Could I ask one of you locals (or anybody heading there this weekend *shrugs) ... next time your there put a sign up ... maybe axe any reference to the club ... just incase its a drama ... just something clearer, please.

Jumpers ... you did the right thing mate ... we just need somebody who will be riding there sometime soon ... to put a better sign up ... even if temporary.

fingers crossed the message gets out.

curlysurfer

Likes Dirt
OK I rode there last night and parked at the top, driving past 10 or so cars at the bottom. some of which I rode with mind you, and tried to pass the message on. Then I had second thoughts and will only probably park up top if the place is packed. To be perfectly truthful, I don't understand the reason to 'absolutely no parking on the lower section'

This thread has only mentioned the land owner next door. well if anyone is stoopid enough to park in front of or near someones gate, they should have their licence removed and inserted into their rectum, sideways.

I can see how the owner complains, "all these cars parking here, I cant use my gate......" There are now "No Parking" signs in front of said gate. As usual some bunch of inconsiderate pricks fuck it up for everyone else, by blocking someones gate.

I believe most of this feedback from the land owner would come from race days, when there is a plethora of cars overunning the area, to which I imagine the whole place would be full top and bottom. Not the average weekday or non race weekend. and some of it from stoopid people not realising farmer joe uses that gate sometimes.

it's not illegal to park outside these signs, but why park over near the fence anyway, harder to leave from that side.

Awaiting flames and hate mail.

BTW several local shop owners rode last night, all parked down the bottom.

Last edited:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
O To be perfectly truthful, I don't understand the reason to 'absolutely no parking on the lower section'
Because (unreasonable) complaints from said land owners has Forest NSW threatening to revoke MTB access to the entire forest, as is their right as land manager, unless riders comply with the no parking in the lower section mandate.

It aint rocket science. The land manager who controls the land and has been kind enough to allow us to ride there has ask people not to park in a certain spot, it's not that hard to comply is it?

curlysurfer

Likes Dirt
Because (unreasonable) complaints from said land owners has Forest NSW threatening to revoke MTB access to the entire forest, as is their right as land manager, unless riders comply with the no parking in the lower section mandate.

It aint rocket science. The land manager who controls the land and has been kind enough to allow us to ride there has ask people not to park in a certain spot, it's not that hard to comply is it?
Does anyone has the literature from Forestry threatening access because of this debarcle?

As mentioned earlier, forestry placed the 'No Parking' signs either side of the gate, so to Joe average, this is the only place he's not allowed to park. Which is the only place Forestry seems to be worried about.

Or does it go deeper, noise pollution/rubbish etc near the private property? In which case it does get my heckles up. The only way parking will be closed there is like someone said earlier, drop a few ton of logs/posts along the road side, preventing any vehicular access. Forcing parking up the top.

As for the 10 or so parked there last night, no-one was near the gate.

Storm in a tea cup?

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
You need to tread very carefully with neighbors to state forests. We lost (we voluntarily walked away from) the old Amazon DH trail (near awaba) because of neighbor complaints. I suggest we would have been forced out if we didn't go voluntarily to keep up relations.

Storm in a tea cup, maybe not for you. You obviously don't really care, so if ourimbah were lost to the CCOMTB club I am guessing you would ride there anyway.

Its not hard to park the bit extra up the hill, you know the rules now and if people start to do the right thing, others will follow.

The club has asked nicely enough, how hard is it for people to follow.

As for the signage issue, this is an interesting one. We have been able to put signage up at Awaba, but only after having the wording checked out by Forests NSW. Its interesting that you weren't able to clarify the signage a bit.

curlysurfer

Likes Dirt
Its interesting that you weren't able to clarify the signage a bit.
Sorry I thought I did by saying forestry placed the signs either side of the gate, probably the only legal way they could place the 'No Parking' signs. and as others have said, the 2 x 'P 350m' can be taken as 'extra' parking, as I took it before I read this thread.

It would be great to get the original opinion as to the uprising. Is it just the parking, or as I mentioned excessive cars, rubbish, noise, during race days, in which case they will still happen due to the nature of some people at these times. So if race days were 'cleaner' would we have a problem. I don't think so.

Do you think the farmer will worry about half a dozen cars there each day or the pandemonium during club meets.

I suppose this voids my application to CCOMTBC

It will be a long road to move habits from locals here, as I said, local shop owners/workers still park there, so this really should be directed to the clubs members.

OK ok ok! I'll park up the top!

Last edited:

orfeo

Likes Dirt
Notice to Mountain Bike Riders:

New Trailhead Location

Forests NSW and Central Coast Ourimbah Mountain Bike Club have worked together to establish a more suitable car park and trailhead to provide improved access to mountain bike trails at Ourimbah State Forest. The new car park and trailhead are located 350m further up the hill on Red Hill Road.

When you come back to ride at Ourimbah State Forest, please use the new car park and trailhead for parking and access to the mountain bike trails. Please encourage other riders to do the same.

Forests NSW appreciates your cooperation on this matter.

Yeah i think the best way to solve the issue is for anyone concerned to place notes on peoples cars to inform them of the new parking location. It wouldn't take long for the word to circulate.