Paterson Kona 24 Hour - May 21/22, 2011.

NetBiker

Likes Bikes
Id have to agree the track is pretty awesome. Although I do recon its really a track for the dual suspension bikes, so much technical bits of trail in there, the design of the course obstacles is brilliant, I didnt attempt all the A-lines but even some of the non A-lines were pretty tricky.

The hills are absolute mothers but I guess that is what seperates boys from the men.

Seen some big stacks today.

Will be hard to ride this track at night I think (especially if your trying to go fast) so many rocks sitting there waiting to get you.

Course designer, legend.

Greg882

Likes Bikes
Well Done Trail Fairys..!!!

Awesome track 8 ish ks already is a effort and a half..!!

Tracks always take some bedding in and i really enjoyed it today
Although my legs are still complaining, Im still smiling!!

QZ13

Likes Dirt
Awesome track 8 ish ks already is a effort and a half..!!
Na man, riding it with one fast gear is an effort and a half. All the single speeders get my "hard man" votes for today.

My lap was ace. No issues with traction and didn't notice too many of the rocks ;)

Track was looking good considering it hasn't seen any wheels till this morning

Bushranger

Likes Dirt
A massive effort has gone in to making the trails. Now that I think about it, the man/women hours that have gone in to that track in such a short time are amazing.

Well done Ronster and the rest of the crew.

NetBiker

Likes Bikes
Yeah man, riding that single speed would be rediculous. Especially up that hill that never seems to end. I loved those rock gardens in the rainforesty type sections they were sick as and those first switch backs were silty made for good fun. That exit out of one of the creek rock gardens with the step up was pretty tricky im sure that got a few people (including me lol)

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Na man, riding it with one fast gear is an effort and a half. All the single speeders get my "hard man" votes for today.

My lap was ace. No issues with traction and didn't notice too many of the rocks ;)

Track was looking good considering it hasn't seen any wheels till this morning
yeah but you stole your tyres from a tractor! :p

The track grew on me as the race went on, I have to say I hated the first lap and was ready to call it quits about 1/2 way round. It seemed really hard to get any kind of flow going, the new track issues of random rocks and soft patches meant that speed was hard to maintain.

As I got to know it and got some smoother lines going I definitely enjoyed it more, but it was still a tough track both the hills (which I didn't mind too much) and the technicality (which I warmed to). I think once some of the looser stuff beds in it'll be a really cool track, it's always going to be a tough race track though which keeps everyone honest. Going to be interesting night racing, quite a few rocks to hit your wheels off line.

My last lap was when the heavens opened (sure we want the track to bed in but I wasn't ready for it to be up to me on the last lap!) and things got a bit sketchy for those of us on typical XC race tyres. This was more because of the newness of the track than anything else, the climbs were fine just the new single track got slidey.

What we need now is a huge dump of rain then a whole lot of single speed riders with tractor tyres to go bed it in for the rest of us :p

Seb511

Squid
I thought the first time I got to pearly gates I'd died but I certainly didn't go to heaven cause the hill went on further! Man what a monster hill! Second lap I got into a rhythm but came unstuck on the last a-line . Heard a few people came unstuck on the ledge before the skinny bridge too. Sore and sorry but all thank to the boys and girls that put together the track it was awesome! Be even better once everything beds in.

agk7

Likes Bikes
can anyone post a garmin record of the lap? was this the full PK24 lap or a shortened version?

cheers

NetBiker

Likes Bikes
can anyone post a garmin record of the lap? was this the full PK24 lap or a shortened version?

cheers
They said the track was 8km's ish with the full 24hr course being 12-13km's? There is still some track over the backside apparently, hopefully not uphill :) I believe they said that its basically going to be the same track that we did though with some minor modifications.

lordflog

Likes Dirt
Great feedback guys & gals. I am sure Rossco, B-rad & crew will be stoked to get so many positive comments.

I went out to do a lazy two laps & wound up going for a third I was enjoying so much. The little rainforst sections like AKs, Sesame Street & the other creek crossing down on the flats were quite technical & took me till my third lap to get my lines right and ride without stopping. I guess that's kind of the same with lots of places that you ride/race for the first time.

Kudos to the people who cleared the climb every time up to 'dead bird'. What an effort. And big props to Greg F, cracking out 5 laps on the one gear. Hard man points aplenty!

rudiger

Squid

cheers
Yesterdays track was the shortened version, the 24 will see an extra 5km or so added. This will continue uphill from the dam at the end of 'dead bird' where we started the descent in the 3 hour. So yes more climbing! But that also makes much more descending :)

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt

cheers
As Rudiger said, this was a shortened version of the lap. The full lap will be pretty close to 13k's and for the info of anyone who raced on the weekend, will continue around the hill after 'dead bird'.

A GPS map of the race on sunday can be found here. The full lap can be found here.

*there is obviously something weird going on with the Garmin when you look at the elevation shown by the contours on the topo map vs the elevation in the graph.

As you can see, there is still more climbing to go however it comes as a series of plateaus which takes some of the edge off. There certainly isn't anything nearly as painful as 'tuesday hill' on the rest of the course. In fact, the top of tuesday hill is nearly 75% of the way up the mountain.

ronster44

Likes Dirt
A massive effort has gone in to making the trails. Now that I think about it, the man/women hours that have gone in to that track in such a short time are amazing.

Well done Ronster and the rest of the crew.
That should say man/woman/cow I played a small part in this adventure the stars or the show are Mr pi11wizard QZ13 and the cows.

nayto

Likes Bikes
I'd also like say thanks to whoever built that track, I loved it. Would have to say the descent was probably the most fun I've had on a bike for a while, flowed really well.The long climb was hard for me after 2 laps, i walked nearly the whole climb last lap because i cramped up.... but thats just because im unfit!
The 1st lap I took the B lines like old mate suggested at the briefing, but once i saw them I took the A line every lap after, it saved quite a bit of time (plus more fun) and I actually thought the bridge was easier than going through the B line.
Also loved the tight off camber hairpins, great fun. It will be a lot more of a challenge at night with those rocks that throw you offline so easily, but that'll add to the race I think. The more technical the better I think.

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
It nearly killed my little laptop, but here is a quick video of Sundays frivolities. [video=youtube;uvev3BW0JLg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvev3BW0JLg&feature=player_profilepage[/video]