$pecialized Enduro 6fattie

Z

Zaf

Sick bike brosef!
Just need some Minion SS/DHF to turn it into a man's machine!

How those Roval fatties going?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Sweet bike!!!

I was very keen on one until a read a DIRT review where they said it awesome, but it was a lot of bike, and didn't really shine unless you were pushing hard...like pro hard. I'm no pro so I started looking at smaller travel bikes.

Id be great to hear a ride review once you've had some time on the bike.
i do not doubt that it would take a beast of a man to really bring it to life. that said, i'm slowly getting it dialed and it just keeps going faster, and faster... i've gotten to the end of my usual ride and felt fresh as a daisy and laid down PR's on up and down hill segments. it's a rocket!

Stock roval wheels were poo (flexy, hubs not great). Yours has the new fattie rims which i'm guessing are probably stiffer.

Mine had formula brakes - promptly replaced with XT's.

I (perhaps stupidly) converted mine to 1x10 (32T). I'm a pretty strong climber but I like a bigger (lower) gear range for the longer rides.

No dropper standard.

The fox float CTD evo on mine, was certainly plush enough, but had terrible mid-stroke support and would wallow/blow through the travel even at above recommended pressure/sag (I only weigh 70kg and dont ride as hard as I used to). I was going to try a monarch debonair as the enduro's ive ridden with the CCDB inline were not impressive (not to mention the durability issues).

The 16 enduro looks to have addressed all of these issues. Be interesting to see if/when specialized update the frame. I really think the geo is something pretty special, would be brave to mess with it.
ah, so far the roval fatties seem good. stock brakes are essentially Guide R's, so plenty of stopping power and modulation.

i'm with you on the CCDB... i tested one on a Norco and it didn't feel anything special. Monarch Plus is my pick of the bunch at the moment, however the new Fox DPS i've got is a massive improvement over any other fox i've ridden.

there is actually a bit of tweaking to be had in the Enduro in 29" form. the linkage on the 27.5" version is a touch shorter, so you can use it to drop the HTA to around 66.5° and also lower the BB around 15mm i think? that turns it into a fully fledged shredding machine so i'm told. i'll likely be leaving mine as i do ride it up hills a fair bit.. but nice to know the option is there.

Sick bike brosef!
Just need some Minion SS/DHF to turn it into a man's machine!

How those Roval fatties going?
:lol: i'm not ready for a man's machine just yet.

so far so good, but still working on my pressures. not having had wheels this fat, nor Spesh branded tyres i think it's going to take a little bit to find that sweet spot.

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid
Looks awesome; also where u getting the pike decals from?

I thought they only made enduros in 27.5 now; are the wheels interchangeable on yours without screwing the BB height? ...

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Looks awesome; also where u getting the pike decals from?

I thought they only made enduros in 27.5 now; are the wheels interchangeable on yours without screwing the BB height? ...
Slik Graphics.

nope, all the enduro's come in 27.5" and 29" versions, even the same colour schemes.

frames are completely different though, both have the same BB height with their respective wheels, but the 27.5" is slacker. (65.5° vs 67.5°)

you can apparently fit 27.5+ wheels to the 29" enduro though... someone on MTBR has just fit up 2.8" tyres, and reckons the 3" off the 6fattie stumpy will fit.

teK--

Eats Squid
Slik Graphics.

nope, all the enduro's come in 27.5" and 29" versions, even the same colour schemes.

frames are completely different though, both have the same BB height with their respective wheels, but the 27.5" is slacker. (65.5° vs 67.5°)

you can apparently fit 27.5+ wheels to the 29" enduro though... someone on MTBR has just fit up 2.8" tyres, and reckons the 3" off the 6fattie stumpy will fit.
Decals look awesome I may look at getting some.

I suppose if you just stick 27.5 on yours the BB would be too low and you'd be smashing the pedals all the time. Either way the E29 is fast but the alloy one can be a bit heavy for climbs depending on the build. My mate's XL comp was over 15Kg from memory with tubes.

Interested to see how your Rovals hold up. sub 1700g pair for alloy and 29mm internal is very impressive. I may look at those in future if I bust the carbons.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Decals look awesome I may look at getting some.

I suppose if you just stick 27.5 on yours the BB would be too low and you'd be smashing the pedals all the time. Either way the E29 is fast but the alloy one can be a bit heavy for climbs depending on the build. My mate's XL comp was over 15Kg from memory with tubes.

Interested to see how your Rovals hold up. sub 1700g pair for alloy and 29mm internal is very impressive. I may look at those in future if I bust the carbons.
i'd say so, though i have no interest in 27.5" wheels anyway. i tested about 10 bikes, in various 27.5" and 29" configurations from 120mm up to 160mm and both the Stumpy 29 and Enduro 29 were the only bikes that excited me.

my medium enduro was ~13.9kg with tubes straight off the showroom floor. climbs with no worries, i've set PR's over climbs i've attempted on my 26" Torrent and 29" hardtail! it is a full fledged enduro weapon though. i could change plenty of things and get the weight down low... but it rides awesomely now so i aint touching it for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid
i'd say so, though i have no interest in 27.5" wheels anyway. i tested about 10 bikes, in various 27.5" and 29" configurations from 120mm up to 160mm and both the Stumpy 29 and Enduro 29 were the only bikes that excited me.

my medium enduro was ~13.9kg with tubes straight off the showroom floor. climbs with no worries, i've set PR's over climbs i've attempted on my 26" Torrent and 29" hardtail! it is a full fledged enduro weapon though. i could change plenty of things and get the weight down low... but it rides awesomely now so i aint touching it for the foreseeable future.
Yeah I dunno about all these people who say big slack bikes can't climb. Beat them on the climbs and​ the descent lol.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Yeah I dunno about all these people who say big slack bikes can't climb. Beat them on the climbs and​ the descent lol.
on a decent sustained climb to one of my favourite trails, i've got the quickest time over a few mates on the likes of a stumpy, trance, one-forty, etc... that said, i'm middle of the pack going down. :lol: though i'll blame that on still setting up the enduro.

figure i may as well chuck this in here too. PR on the second ride, plenty more left in it when i grow a set of cahones.

[video=youtube;4-ompw-CnLU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-ompw-CnLU[/video]

Last edited:
Love mine.
Got a 2013/14 model Comp XL and the spec on the current model kicks ass over what mine came with.
Had Pikes but the Formula brakes were rubbish and no dropper as standard.
Also went 1x pretty quick because the FD just kept getting stuck in the granny. Turfed it quick sticks and went for a NW 33t with 11-36.
Standard Roval wheelset is serviceable and has taken some beatings but have been breaking spoke nipples on a regular basis once the first one went. Thinking it might be time to upgrade the wheels or do a build with some better rims and nipples.
Does me for where I ride but granny might be nice sometimes.
Loving the colour. Black looks sick as.
Would be hard to change bikes really, probably only update for the same.
Lots of bike, no question, and probably too much for what I do but it sure is capable of hitting things hard and taking a beating too.

teK--

Eats Squid
on a decent sustained climb to one of my favourite trails, i've got the quickest time over a few mates on the likes of a stumpy, trance, one-forty, etc... that said, i'm middle of the pack going down. :lol: though i'll blame that on still setting up the enduro.

figure i may as well chuck this in here too. PR on the second ride, plenty more left in it when i grow a set of cahones.

[video=youtube;4-ompw-CnLU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-ompw-CnLU[/video]
Heh sounds like you're workin hard!

Cahunes grow quickly when you have a bike that provides a big margin for error.

Also tuck in your camelback hose ;)

mitchy_

Llama calmer
well, this thing is getting pumped. have been taking lines and jumps i didn't have the confidence to take before and it just soaks it up and keeps on going.
there is a few very rocks areas on my local trail with 2 pinch climbs thrown in for good measure. the Torrent used to get caught out terribly, and there is no "perfect" line as the rocks constantly move. the enduro just sails through and makes the rocky climbs a piece of cake.

it's amazing how such a big bike can climb; but strava says it does it quicker than the torrent ever did, and about 50:50 between the hardtail and the enduro taking PR's.

pike is pretty much broken in. slowly working on the Float DPS, it's not as good as my old Monarch but it's a massive upgrade on the old Fox's. the rebound almost seems to be a bit too quick, i've got it as slow as it will go at the moment, and still having an issue with rear traction.

apart from that, it's loving life. it's absolutely filthy at the moment.. this was it after the rain on the trip home washed most of the crap off :lol:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
early xmas presents are the best. my wife rocks! :bananapartyhat:

LB 35mm hookless rims on Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs (new ones with 40 poe) as well as the new style Enve Sweep bars.

wheels are amazing. i knew the rear wheel was flexing a bit, but it's unreal how much straighter the front of the bike tracks now. i point the handlebars in a direction i choose and the bike just goes.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
CCDBCS rocks on these, but they have to be setup correctly. They are not something I've found you can just jump on, a few clicks and your away. Hence short test rides on a shock that is not dialed to you will feel average.
Once you have it right though they will bomb down anything and maintain traction where you need it.
Alot of folks prefer a Debonair as they don't have the patience to persist with the Cane Creek or don't have enough suspension understanding or knowledge to bother.
The Debonair will get 90% of the performance , like the dark side it's alot quicker and easier.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
CCDBCS rocks on these, but they have to be setup correctly. They are not something I've found you can just jump on, a few clicks and your away. Hence short test rides on a shock that is not dialed to you will feel average.
Once you have it right though they will bomb down anything and maintain traction where you need it.
Alot of folks prefer a Debonair as they don't have the patience to persist with the Cane Creek or don't have enough suspension understanding or knowledge to bother.
The Debonair will get 90% of the performance , like the dark side it's alot quicker and easier.
i'm a quick and easy kinda guy. :lol:

i also found the monarch plus was a perfect match for the pike on my old Torrent. still waiting for my Vorsprung Corset to arrive though...

Carbon wheels will turn this thing into an absolute weapon!!
it's given it a much more sprightly feel, not that it felt sluggish before!

gave the ol girl a wash, matte carbon wheels set it off nicely. :biggrin1: