$pecialized Enduro 6fattie

teK--

Eats Squid
pike is pretty much broken in. slowly working on the Float DPS, it's not as good as my old Monarch but it's a massive upgrade on the old Fox's. the rebound almost seems to be a bit too quick, i've got it as slow as it will go at the moment, and still having an issue with rear traction.
have you done Pike first service yet? I've put about 10 hours on mine I am going to use Fox Gold 20Wt which everyone says is the beez kneez instead of the Pike oil.

teK--

Eats Squid
should arrive this week... just in time for me to fly to the other side of the country. :(

not yet. are they due for one that quickly?
Not technically until 50 hours. I think of it as a car engine; most of the wear occurs during the first couple of months so best to get all the metal/ceramic particles out. Plus sometimes the forks can be underfilled with oil from factory.

Z

Zaf

That bike is coming along perfectly!

Facing the same issue with shock options for the Stumpy. I have a Monarch Plus on order, but the whole Specialized proprietary mount and lengths is so limiting in aftermarket options.
The reservoir does make a massive difference in heat management of the shock as well, or at least it has on my Float vs Float X. Not tested with a thermometer, but from heat to touch, the Float X takes at least twice the amount of activation before reaching same temps.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Both the pikes I've got at home have come alive after the first service. Only thing I regret is not doing it sooner! Both felt more supple off the top following a lowers service.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Did you consider the Fox EVOL can?
Have you seen anywhere to buy them? And do they compete price wise with the Vorsprung?
I couldn't find them online, but my LBS quoted me $135 for the black one or $170 for kashima.

I chose the more expensive corset as vorsprung ran some tests on stock, EVOL and Corset and the EVOL can wasn't much of an improvement. Their results should be taken with a grain of salt though... But all reports say they work well and should give me the small bump sensitively I desire.

Z

Zaf

I couldn't find them online, but my LBS quoted me $135 for the black one or $170 for kashima.

I chose the more expensive corset as vorsprung ran some tests on stock, EVOL and Corset and the EVOL can wasn't much of an improvement. Their results were taken with a grain of salt as well... But all reports say they work well and should give me the small bump sensitively I desire.
The difference in break away pressure over the non-EVOL can is pants on head retarded!
Sorry of carbon wheels, the corset was the biggest "revelation" level performance upgrade for my Yeti. Just a totally different beast.

Just remember, when you take the corset off the shock, make sure you drop pressure with a shock pump... Nice and slowly! Not a joke, otherwise it doesn't equalise pressures and when you untreated that last turn you get a good fucking surprise! Learned that this week when investigating the issue I was having with my Float X topping out its stroke.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I chose the more expensive corset as vorsprung ran some tests on stock, EVOL and Corset and the EVOL can wasn't much of an improvement. Their results should be taken with a grain of salt though... But all reports say they work well and should give me the small bump sensitively I desire.
Yeah, Udi says it's got to do with a better port design on the Corset.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Not technically until 50 hours. I think of it as a car engine; most of the wear occurs during the first couple of months so best to get all the metal/ceramic particles out. Plus sometimes the forks can be underfilled with oil from factory.
got me all intrigued now. just went and dropped the lowers, oiled up the foam rings and new oil in the lowers. unlike a lot of reports mine seemed to have about the right amount in each leg.. maybe they have upped the QC for 2016.

also performed another major mod while i was there... swapped the red travel o-ring for a black one. :lol:

teK--

Eats Squid
got me all intrigued now. just went and dropped the lowers, oiled up the foam rings and new oil in the lowers. unlike a lot of reports mine seemed to have about the right amount in each leg.. maybe they have upped the QC for 2016.

also performed another major mod while i was there... swapped the red travel o-ring for a black one. :lol:

Just did my first service this arvo too... although the "old" spec is 5ml in the damper side and 15ml in the air side, I swear a lot more oil came out of the damper leg.

Ended up going with 10ml/10ml that is what the updated service manual says.

It is ridiculously smooth now with the Fox Gold oil.

Z

Zaf

Just did my first service this arvo too... although the "old" spec is 5ml in the damper side and 15ml in the air side, I swear a lot more oil came out of the damper leg.

Ended up going with 10ml/10ml that is what the updated service manual says.

It is ridiculously smooth now with the Fox Gold oil.
Any idea when and why they changed the oil level spec?

teK--

Eats Squid
Any idea when and why they changed the oil level spec?
I can only conclude it was changed in 2016, because...

2015 oil guide says 5/15.

2016 oil guide says 10/10

The Pike service guide is now onto revision D and is applicable to 2014-on forks. This guide says 10/10

For 2016 they updated damper seal head design. all new service kits have this new SKF seal and they are retrofittable to earlier forks. maybe due to tighter tolerance they can now run more oil in lowers? Maybe it's best not to run 10/10 in earlier forks unless you are running the new seal head (or the NS Dynamics version) ?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Just remember, when you take the corset off the shock, make sure you drop pressure with a shock pump... Nice and slowly! Not a joke, otherwise it doesn't equalise pressures and when you untreated that last turn you get a good fucking surprise!

Yep, learned that little trick the hard way!

The Enduro + carbon wheels + Corset really will be the business.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I can only conclude it was changed in 2016, because...

2015 oil guide says 5/15.

2016 oil guide says 10/10

The Pike service guide is now onto revision D and is applicable to 2014-on forks. This guide says 10/10

For 2016 they updated damper seal head design. all new service kits have this new SKF seal and they are retrofittable to earlier forks. maybe due to tighter tolerance they can now run more oil in lowers? Maybe it's best not to run 10/10 in earlier forks unless you are running the new seal head (or the NS Dynamics version) ?
Damn. I assumed my "2014-current" manual was up to date, stupid naming really. I've gone 5/15mm with the original 0w-30 fluid as I have half a bottle left. Will try 10/10 next service and see how it feels.
They felt more plush after the service though, I had to add a bit more air as my sag was a bit overboard.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Assume makes an ASS out of U and ME.
consider us both asses then!

strapped on my corset and went for a ride. big improvement on the fox, even the newer DPS version. still not quite as good as the monarch plus, but it will do for the time being.