$pecialized Enduro 6fattie

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
650+ ain't slackening the front end, the 650 link is. I think they should have said the 650 link gives 66 degree head angle, regardless of (even-sized) wheel size.

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
correct, but they give these two scenarios...

650B SHOCK LINK GEOMETRY:-

SET UP THREE – 29“ WHEEL FRONT AND REAR – OHLINS DAMPER

Bottom bracket: 338mm Head angle: 67

SET UP SIX – 650+ Front 650+ Rear 650 Link Ohlins damper

Bottom bracket: 329mm Head angle: 66

the "enduro 6fattie" conversion is almost the ultimate enduro. one of the main complaints of the enduro is the BB height, and head angle. bang on some slightly smaller OD wheels such as 27.5+, and stick the 27.5 link in and it's (more of) a shredding machine.

i was wanting to build a ~120mm 29" hardtail to use my spare wheels, bars, etc. off the enduro.. but i could completely piss that up the wall and go a 27.5+ hardtail so i can mix and match when i want too!

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i love that they have gone to the effort of putting on a super low syntace stem, yet have bars with a rise in them.
the factory bars on them are flat, so they probably haven't really gained anything there...

Nautonier

Eats Squid
The lowest BB setting is insanely low, pedalling wouldn't be an option if there were any bumps whatsoever. Unless maybe going to 165 cranks. The HA on the standard 650b is still slacker at 65.5. WTF is that thing sticking up from behind the chain ring?? And no chain guide.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
The lowest BB setting is insanely low, pedalling wouldn't be an option if there were any bumps whatsoever. Unless maybe going to 165 cranks. The HA on the standard 650b is still slacker at 65.5. WTF is that thing sticking up from behind the chain ring?? And no chain guide.
that's the "taco blade", allows a front derailleur on the 29". why they haven't removed it, i don't know.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
that's the "taco blade", allows a front derailleur on the 29". why they haven't removed it, i don't know.
If you need a lower ratio than 32 x 42 then you're basically riding slower than walking pace. Dinosaurs. Do you ever find the 'standard' BB height of 351mm too high? I don't. When I first converted the bike from 26 to 27.5 I didn't change the yoke and was running about 360 or more. It actually felt pretty good. I do like the 65.5 HA in steep situations though. I've yet to do an OTB manoeuvre, touch carbon.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I do like the look of that mega-low Syntace stem anyway...but by fuck it's taken chunks out of the test-bike top tube!

Those Pommies love to go looooooooooooooooow.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
If you need a lower ratio than 32 x 42 then you're basically riding slower than walking pace. Dinosaurs. Do you ever find the 'standard' BB height of 351mm too high? I don't. When I first converted the bike from 26 to 27.5 I didn't change the yoke and was running about 360 or more. It actually felt pretty good. I do like the 65.5 HA in steep situations though. I've yet to do an OTB manoeuvre, touch carbon.
mine came with a 28t ring...

i dont think mine has ever been near 351mm with the over-sagged corset. the bike felt pretty high when i put the original air can back on, but that's more relative feel.

I do like the look of that mega-low Syntace stem anyway...but by fuck it's taken chunks out of the test-bike top tube!

Those Pommies love to go looooooooooooooooow.
my brake levers contact the top tube, surely theirs would be the same before stem does.

the bars do need to be reasonably low though, it is a 160mm 29er after all.

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Good to bump into you today Mitchy! Bike looks cool!
Missed this... ditto! I think you ran laps around me on the epic though. :lol:

Now for the pièce de résistance.. Shiny new Monarch Plus. Already torn off the white decals and applied the gloss over matte black I've had sitting around since I bought my fork decals.

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
Missed this... ditto! I think you ran laps around me on the epic though. :lol:

Now for the pièce de résistance.. Shiny new Monarch Plus. Already torn off the white decals and applied the gloss over matte black I've had sitting around since I bought my fork decals.

Seen the trunion mount on Graves' enduro? I take it your new one is non-"metric"?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Seen the trunion mount on Graves' enduro? I take it your new one is non-"metric"?

Indeed. It looked like a pretty refined unit too, unlike the unanodized etc mounts they have been running on the vivid air.

Whether they are going to run the trunion mount on the 2017 Enduro, or it's a new product i don't know. Mine is just a plain Jane monarch plus debonair with an Enduro mount/tune.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
So how is it? I always thought If I had kept my enduro it would be getting the debonair treatment.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
So how is it? I always thought If I had kept my enduro it would be getting the debonair treatment.
Haven't gotten that far yet. Popped into the bike shop after my ride for a coffee, and my shock was sitting there waiting for me.

Although my previous bike was a Horst link too, and the monarch plus debonair on that was sublime. Could also be that it matches the pike in feel, so it all works harmoniously.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
first ride... i'm in love.

it's going to need to bed in over the next few rides, but already it feels more supple off the top and has much better mid stroke support. there is definitely a lot less chatter too, i hit every shitty line i could find, and it just kept its composure and rode on through.

the bike feels like it sits more upright now too. i can probably drop my 27.5" link back into it, it will sag to roughly a similar position but have more more support...

doihoi

Likes Dirt
How you finding the Monarch Plus?
I just had mine installed and gave it ride out at Majura and Stromlo - it's wicked !!