$pecialized Enduro 6fattie

mitchy_

Llama calmer
looking good mitchy

how does it ride the less chunky stuff- general trails?
At the moment I'm struggling with the shock blowing through its mid travel with the Corset. With the stock fox can it was harsher, but it pedals very well for for a 160mm bike. To me it's a Stumpjumper on steroid, looses a little to climbing but makes up for it when you point it down. Truth be told I would have bought a stumpy if it wasn't $1800 more for these me spec though.

Once I stick a proper shock in the rear, it will pretty much be a do it all bike.

Hey Mitchy...was page- scrolling through this this thread & noticed the two images showed the geo changes quite well:

https://vimeo.com/153838374
Yep, that shows it pretty well! I used photoshop to align the layers, so they have been pushed and pulled a little, but it shows the rough idea.

Z

Zaf

Stumpy master race reporting in!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubw5N8iVDHI

Just kidding, the Enduro's are sick rigs and yours is pimpin' steed for 2015 when black was cool.
The problem I had with my Corset on the Yeti was that it would sit unto its travel too much initially, sag to about 30% once I was at 220PSI and no amount of pressure above that would make it sit higher, which sucks a bit on a bike with a very specific chain growth formula.

The damping was still fantastic, and it would soak hits beautifully with little feedback, and had that lovely feeling of "pushing back" as you push into it, but the sag problem hurt that pedalling efficiency to no end. My coil over shock which is almost twice the weight pedals better.

The Monarch+ feels great on my Stumpy, and as Minty pointed out, they just match the Pike beautifully in feel. In fact that's the best description, they're like a Pike on the rear, I hope it gets along with you just as well.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thought about sending it off to Avalanche in the states to be reconfigured?

Would be lighter and perform better than a Cane Creek shock. I'm on a bike weight diet mood and an looking into it on my Riot.

creaky

XMAS Plumper

Would be lighter and perform better than a Cane Creek shock. I'm on a bike weight diet mood and an looking into it on my Riot.
Unless they also paint it all black, I doubt Mitchy will be interested ...

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Stumpy master race reporting in!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubw5N8iVDHI

Just kidding, the Enduro's are sick rigs and yours is pimpin' steed for 2015 when black was cool.
The problem I had with my Corset on the Yeti was that it would sit unto its travel too much initially, sag to about 30% once I was at 220PSI and no amount of pressure above that would make it sit higher, which sucks a bit on a bike with a very specific chain growth formula.

The damping was still fantastic, and it would soak hits beautifully with little feedback, and had that lovely feeling of "pushing back" as you push into it, but the sag problem hurt that pedalling efficiency to no end. My coil over shock which is almost twice the weight pedals better.

The Monarch+ feels great on my Stumpy, and as Minty pointed out, they just match the Pike beautifully in feel. In fact that's the best description, they're like a Pike on the rear, I hope it gets along with you just as well.
you should get a sticker for your stumpy "when i grow up i want to be an enduro" :lol:

your experience with the corset is exactly the same as mine.
it's plush, it absorbs hits well and it certainly makes the fox feel better BUT... and it's a big but, it sits too far into the travel; and on a 160mm bike it absolutely punishes the ride to the point where i was considering whether i want the plushness of the corset or the more supportive mid stroke of the stock can... and i'm leaning towards the stock can.

very much agree on the monarch as well, i've sold all my mates on them telling them it feels like a pike for the rear. is it the best shock? i dont know. but it sure as shit compliments a pike!

cane creek was never an option. have heard of too many issues with them, the high leverage ratio of the specialized bikes just seems to blow them to pieces. if i bought a shock, it would be a monarch plus. loved my old one, and that was on an horst link bike as well.

Unless they also paint it all black, I doubt Mitchy will be interested ...
truth be told, i tried my hardest to get the fox to work... but the monarch is the better (and blacker) shock.

Sanders.

Likes Dirt
Out of interest, If you were to do it again, would you got the Enduro Elite with the Monarch Plus, Guide R Brakes and X1 Drivetrain (Especially at the current sale prices!)? I'm currently on the fence, either going for the Enduro Comp 29 like yours, or the Enduro Elite 29. Pretty sure the Gap is $500, and sounds like it would be worth it in the shock alone, but man oh man do I want that Black Front Triangle, not that Orange. What do you think it wiser? I'm terrible at decisions.

Also, the bike looks mean with the LB Wheelset and Blacked Out look. Love it.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
bit of experimentation with the 27.5" linkage is proving less than ideal with the fox/corset. it blows through it's mid travel, so the bike sits suuuuuuper slack and low. not such an issue going down, but it makes it much much harder on the ups. considering i bought this as i wanted something that went up better than my last bike, i'll remove it for the time being.
will revisit the link when i have another shock to play with, but for the time being the 29" link suits my setup/riding better.
Interesting findings. I would have thought it would be much better going down but only slightly worse going up. I played around with the linkages on mine and found that the 5mm shorter yoke brought the bottom bracket down a lot. If the 29" Enduro has the same BB height as the 27.5", then you're taking it down to a height that would be stupidly low. It would be great if you could flick a switch and have it low for descending and high for climbing.

The thing that makes mine suck for climbing isn't the BB height or 65.5 degree HA, it's having the Corset sit at 40 - 50% sag while climbing, even when the CTD is in "climb"" mode and it's got 220 PSI in it. One can imagine the HA and BB height with 50% sag...

The Corset is great for descending (apart from bottoming out a little too easily), but really doesn't work well for climbing. Hopefully the Monarch Plus will have the same small bump compliance as the Corset (and not bottom out so easily), but stay high in its travel for climbing.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Out of interest, If you were to do it again, would you got the Enduro Elite with the Monarch Plus, Guide R Brakes and X1 Drivetrain (Especially at the current sale prices!)? I'm currently on the fence, either going for the Enduro Comp 29 like yours, or the Enduro Elite 29. Pretty sure the Gap is $500, and sounds like it would be worth it in the shock alone, but man oh man do I want that Black Front Triangle, not that Orange. What do you think it wiser? I'm terrible at decisions.

Also, the bike looks mean with the LB Wheelset and Blacked Out look. Love it.
when i bought mine there was a $1200 difference between the Comp and the Elite, so it was a no brainer. at $500 difference, it's pretty close...

$500 will cover the price of a monarch plus from ze germanz (you can even choose between the autosag version, or debonair version)
the DB5 brakeset as sold by sram is supposed to be the better Guide lever on the older twin piston caliper. by using the Guide 4 piston caliper like Specialized have on the enduro; for all intents and purposes, the brakes are the same as Guide R's. the only difference is they dont have the tool free reach adjust, however you can adjust them with your fingers (hell, i've done it with gloves on)
the drivetrain is the main point of contention in my books... and even still, X1 still has a pinned cassette, and is marginally lighter than GX. i've come off X9 and X0 on previous bikes, and the GX gear is a seriously good bit of kit.

either way you'll be on a sweet bike, but i'd still choose the black and spend the extra $500 on a monarch plus (just dont expect to sell the fox DPS, unless an older enduro owner wants a cheap upgrade from a fox CTD)

Interesting findings. I would have thought it would be much better going down but only slightly worse going up. I played around with the linkages on mine and found that the 5mm shorter yoke brought the bottom bracket down a lot. If the 29" Enduro has the same BB height as the 27.5", then you're taking it down to a height that would be stupidly low. It would be great if you could flick a switch and have it low for descending and high for climbing.

The thing that makes mine suck for climbing isn't the BB height or 65.5 degree HA, it's having the Corset sit at 40 - 50% sag while climbing, even when the CTD is in "climb"" mode and it's got 220 PSI in it. One can imagine the HA and BB height with 50% sag...

The Corset is great for descending (apart from bottoming out a little too easily), but really doesn't work well for climbing. Hopefully the Monarch Plus will have the same small bump compliance as the Corset (and not bottom out so easily), but stay high in its travel for climbing.
i've not been able to give the linkage a fair go due to having the exact same issues as you. bike sitting deep in it's travel already (even locked out still seems to blow open too easy?) plus adding the shortened link ruined the climbing. how it sits with the over-sagged corset is probably how it would sit with the 27.5" link on a more supportive shock!

mitchy_

Llama calmer
fitted Guide RSC's (should have been a quick easy process, but that's another story...) and thought i'd give the stock fox air can another go, especially coming FROM the corset to see where the differences lies.

used autosag, gave me bang on 200psi which is what i expected. also set rebound as per recommended specs.
climbs like a dream now that it's actually sitting up in it's travel. i began to notice the Minion SS slipping a bit more on loose climbs, i guess i'm not sitting as far back over the rear wheel any more, but it still climbed easier.

its not as plush as the corset though. and i need to tweak the rebound... i did a lap of my local track in the morning on the corset and all was fine once pointed downhill. did the exact same section on the fox can and all i could feel was the rear end jumping left and right. this is particularly scary when you're on a narrow track with a steep run off to the left, a rocky hill to the right and a fast right hander approaching.
made it through fine, just... with my jocks full of poo.

to put it simply:

Fox DPS - harsh initial travel, reasonable mid travel support. great for going up hill as it sits high in it's stroke, but very chattery and loose on the way down. approx 200psi gives recommended sag for ~90kg rider.

Corset - plush initial travel, poor mid travel support. sucks ass going up hill as it sits deep into it's travel (even in firm setting?), when pointed downhill it's great. struggling with sag. anything from ~225-275psi has given me about 35% sag, can't seem to get it to sit any higher.

neither setup gives a completely satisfactory feel, i'm not even sure which i prefer... struggle on climbs and have more compliance going down, or make climbing easier so i have more juice in the tank to go back down?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I thought you would but the problems you're having with it are those that people had with the standard Corset.
I've had the standard Corset and the Enduro specific one on my Enduro and while the latter is definitely an improvement on the former, the shortcomings are exactly as Mitchy states.

I tried a volume spacer in mine yesterday and it was a little better not bottoming out so easily.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I've had the standard Corset and the Enduro specific one on my Enduro and while the latter is definitely an improvement on the former, the shortcomings are exactly as Mitchy states.

I tried a volume spacer in mine yesterday and it was a little better not bottoming out so easily.
what volume spacer did you use? from my understanding the enduro has it's own special extra large spacer from factory. mine definitely has one in there.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
what volume spacer did you use? from my understanding the enduro has it's own special extra large spacer from factory. mine definitely has one in there.
I got a set of them from Tekin for the CTD. I used the 3rd size up from small. There were none in there to start with.

When do you get the Monarch? I had a bounce on one yesterday and it felt super plush in the first part of the stroke and that was set up for a heavy rider.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I got a set of them from Tekin for the CTD. I used the 3rd size up from small. There were none in there to start with.

When do you get the Monarch? I had a bounce on one yesterday and it felt super plush in the first part of the stroke and that was set up for a heavy rider.
interesting, i thought they all came with them. the enduro 27.5 has a higher leverage ratio than the 29, so it stands to reason yours would need the big spacer even more so than mine.

You read this article, Mitchy?
sure have! needs to be taken with a grain of salt however, they say that changing to 27.5+ wheels slackened off the head angle? which is impossible if both front and rear wheels are the same size.

bodes well for future proofing though, have seen a couple of people stick 27.5+ wheels in a Enduro 29. 2.8" will go comfortably in the rear, and 3" up front. (insert innuendo here)

this one makes my bike look girly!