Pedals

Fat_Ride

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just got me some Poverty Bikes pedals... nice feel to them... the y are a BMX biek co. but hey they're all the same!!

AdrenalineJunkie

Likes Dirt
clipsless

spd all the way...

I used to use flats for everything, but kept farkin my shins. So i bought shinnies and it was all good till my dog (rest in peace Taff) got hold of one of em so i had an excuse to try spds.

Went clipsless and got so much better control, power speed so now i use em for everythin. As for crashin, as peachy said u get into the habit of unclippin before u stack. I find movin with the bike and makin the bike move a whole lot easier with clipless than with flats.

Oh and if u have to ride up the hill to go down again u'll be wishin u had clipless :)

NightRider

Likes Bikes
I used to ride in clips (which were great) but switched to flats about a year ago in an attempt to improve my technique. It is working - slowly slowly. In the mean time my shins have copped a hammering. Am looking into getting some pads - I just need some cash first!

I have a pair of V8's and a pair of V12's (both good - but the V12's are definately nicer!)

I need new pins for them. What is all this about getting the pins from the hardware store. Do they sell grub screws the same size?

2 smooth

Likes Dirt
fastrider gus said:
if i was to buy pedals again, they would be atomlab trailkings... 14mm axle and a nice stable platform... loooovely..
I second the Atomlab theme, but id go the Aircorps. Nice and scary lookin'!!

Jordy

RYD4LF
Im running holzfellers now for technical tracks where i need to take my foot off and some shitmano plastic cage spd pedals for open tracks

Golem

Likes Bikes
DMR V8's are awesome pedal, but if you like youre shin surface smooth, and a normal colour, you should probably get clips, but i still reccommend the V8's, or V12's if your loaded

Golem

Likes Bikes
it is possible to get replaceble pins in packs of 8 or something close, and they are very cheap, you should be able to get them where you bought the V8/12's originally

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Im using fishbone's at the moment, work a treat.
I've got some DMR V12's as well, but the fishbone's are probably better.
I used to have some wellego's, bent them after a couple of weeks.

riderigid

Likes Dirt
i have a pair of Kona Jackshit's that came with me bike. they r nam and u can replace the pins (with help from loctite) mosh half-stepos r cool as well. but at the moment i am running clipless and have fallen off alot less. it sort of makes you want to stick to the ground and go faster though

mtngoat

Banned
i paid $24.- for a pair of bat wings and theyre great like the bear traps (noice cage) and theyve lasted me aprox. 3 years per set.

gorno

Likes Dirt
go the DMR v12s cause the studs can be changed and replaces and they hace seeled bearings and they are only $170 so its not 2 bad

domtb

Likes Bikes
i paid 45 dollars for mosh pedals and i have nothing worng with them i wouldnt spend 170 on v12 that is way too much :?

Stint

Likes Dirt
Got a set of crank bros. mallet c, and they're the best of both worlds!

IMO, if you're going going to be doing some climbing on your ride, its definitely a bonus to have clips (increased efficiency etc). Makes hopping easier too.

However, having said that, it did take me about 6 months to be fully comfy being clipped into the bike; "training" the brain to clip out when the bike comes to a standstill, rather than panicking and trying to pull the foot upwards.

floody

Wheel size expert
I have "HTI" platforms, which are distributed by (don't laugh) Trekking Fox, and cost me $17.95. I spotted the same pedal body in dirt works' catalogue with a different axle and sticker, and it was $65 or so...
awesome value platforms, 2 years old and no slop yet, replaceable pins, the works!

HOWEVER, the day I find some new-old-stock original 1980's Shimano DX platforms (not for ebay prices) , I'll be all over them like a rash, they are the original and best.

mtngoat, you got batwings?!?! they still make those gnarly old things??!! They were all the rage about 5 years ago.. mine were pretty grippy but I went through like 3 sets in 3 months because the cage clouted rocks and stuff and smashed apart - finished one rocky DH run with the alloy body just a few pieces of cage about 1 square inch hanging onto the cage bolts, on one crank....