Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I work in the aviation fuel industry, Your head would spin clean off your shoulders if you knew how much fuel the military use for exercises and training
Haha aerospace engineer by qualification. I have a fair idea, thankfully head is still on neck. At a lower scale, commercial airliner fuel dumping alone would have the desired effect on most people...

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Please explain.
Sometimes when an aircraft has too much weight and cannot land safely (i.e. unscheduled stop for whateverreason) they have to dump their fuel into the ocean.

Not sure if this is a win or own goal for climate change/enviornment as fuel won't ever be recovered to burn, but the ocean man.

• Haha
Reactions: Zaf

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's bullshit @calvin and you fucking know it!!! Those vapour trails are the government dumping mind numbing chemicals on us and forcing us.to follow their will. #chemtrails are fucking us all and industry stooges like you are helping cover up the facts. #enoughisenough!

John U

MTB Precision
Understood this was for uncommon emergency situations. The way you stated earlier I was reading it as ‘fuck carrying this fuel around, lets dump it.’
As to which is better for the environment? It sounds like ‘Would you like your shit sandwich toasted, or not?’

Flow-Rider

Burner
They're meant to go up to a certain distance where most of the fuel is vaporised but still not good for the environment. Some commercial passenger planes don't have the capability to fuel dump, they just have to go round in circles till the fuel is used up.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
That's bullshit @calvin and you fucking know it!!! Those vapour trails are the government dumping mind numbing chemicals on us and forcing us.to follow their will. #chemtrails are fucking us all and industry stooges like you are helping cover up the facts. #enoughisenough!

Yeah haha now that people are waking up to vaccines and fluoride in the water, watch the amount of airplane fuel dumps go up! You can start by dumping fuel over brunswick hipsters!

Binaural

Eats Squid
^single use but recyclable beverage containment... I'm so conflicted. Definitely contains one of life's essentials so I'll let it slide this time.
Recently we've started doing some of our shopping at a hipster joint in Enmore in Sydney called Alfalfa house where you bring your own packaging and fill up from big dispensers (for example, we use a few big growlers for milk). It only really works for small food shops because of all the bottles etc, that you need to bring, but works pretty well during the week when you only need a few things, and the quality is high. It's somewhat more hassle but it feels good to minimise wasted packaging.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
About 1/3rd of plastic use overall is hard packaging according to some blurb I read on the interwebs. Sadly companies have invested in machines that do the wrapping and going away from that will cost. With the government not taking the lead and consumers in general going for cheap I am not sure what can be done. The packaging pisses me off more than most things. Such a pointless waste of resource.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
The packaging pisses me off more than most things. Such a pointless waste of resource.
The worst thing is when the likes of colesworth decides to differentiate the organic sweet potato by wrapping it...

In Vic we aren't even recycling a lot of it anymore since Chyyyyna ban.

Binaural

Eats Squid
but with no cabin crew or pilot, who will land the plane?
We work with a bunch of autonomous aircraft designers around the world, some of whom are for transporting people. I reckon we're 10 years away from practical intra-city trips in low-flying autonomous aircraft that are for ferrying people short distances. Whether the regulatory frameworks are ready for the aerial equivalent of Lime scooters, is entirely less certain.