Plastic bags, climate change, renewable energy,

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I'd agree most offsets on the market today are 100% complete bulldust. But real offsets can exist. I would classify re plantation as a form of positive offset. I'd stick sequestration in there as well (still unsure of input/output though). However the point I think you are making is these opportunities are a drop in the ocean and limited in nature.
Yes.

Example. A return flight from Melbourne to London results in 16.8t CO2 per passenger. Think about how many of these flights happen daily. Number of passengers. What offset scheme can correct this?

Offset schemes are a smokescreen. They are a work of fiction.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I'd agree most offsets on the market today are 100% complete bulldust. But real offsets can exist. I would classify re plantation as a form of positive offset. I'd stick sequestration in there as well (still unsure of input/output though). However the point I think you are making is these opportunities are a drop in the ocean and limited in nature.

Same as above. I'd have to look at input/output costs but my observation is it can be done. The bigger problem is you can't grow enough to supply the whole sector. We have to cut air travel to make it work.
I work in the aviation fuel industry, Your head would spin clean off your shoulders if you knew how much fuel the military use for exercises and training

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
And latest post:

Electricity energy generation by method:

Woo!!! Solar panels will save the day!

And check out this graph - world total energy consumption by method:

Can you see how even total CO2 neutrality of the electricity sector will barely make a dent on CO2 emissions?

Somehow we need to drive all methods to CO2 neutrality in a decade.

I feel sorry for the children. I really do...

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
That's not a Straya graph. World.

Most of that is peeps burning animal poop for cooking & heating. Such a superb method to live one's life.

John U

MTB Precision
And latest post:

Electricity energy generation by method:

Woo!!! Solar panels will save the day!

And check out this graph - world total energy consumption by method:

Can you see how even total CO2 neutrality of the electricity sector will barely make a dent on CO2 emissions?

Somehow we need to drive all methods to CO2 neutrality in a decade.

I feel sorry for the children. I really do...
How much of this usage is essential. Sweet fuck all. Here’s the thing, people didn’t fly around the world on whim. People mostly don’t need to fly around the world at a whim.

I’ll lay down a challenge for justification for flying anywhere, apart from saving a life, or seeing someone near to you on their death bed, is there a justification?

Last edited:

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
How much of this usage is essential. Sweet fuck all. Here’s the thing, people didn’t fly around the world on whim. People mostly don’t need to fly around the world at a whim.

I’ll lay down a challenge for justification for flying anywhere, apart from saving a life, or seeing someone near to you on their death bed, is there a justification?
How deep do you want to go with this, people didn't used to drive cars, people don't mostly need to drive cars, is there a justification for owning a car?

John U

MTB Precision
How deep do you want to go with this, people didn't used to drive cars, people don't mostly need to drive cars, is there a justification for owning a car?
Really deep. Like the future of life in the planet depended on it.
Lifes essentials
  1. Food
  2. Water
  3. Shelter (variable, dependent on location and time of year)

Might also add ability for some to reproduce.

That is pretty much it.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Lifes essentials
  1. Food
  2. Water

That is pretty much it.
Might be a bit tricky, global economy would pretty much stop and most of us would be out of a job. Drawing the line is a difficult thing!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well those graphs are showing a lot of potential growth markets @hifiandmtb! Sure we could focus on growing some of those really low sectors, like geothermal, but coal is well established, trusted, and abundant; it couldn't be too hard to push that suckered up closer to 100% market domination?

John U

MTB Precision
Might be a bit tricky, global economy would pretty much stop and most of us would be out of a job. Drawing the line is a difficult thing!
If we’re talking about cutting down to essentials then anything above survival is a luxury.
Job is what needs to be done to ensure survival. Global economy is based on something with no real purpose (speaking as someone with no economic training. Happy to be proven wrong in the sense of survival).
I’m not a survivalist nut. Just calling it as I see it in nature. Believe it or not, humans are animals.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Lifes essentials
  1. Food
  2. Water

That is pretty much it.
I don't mean to nit pick because I know that we are of similar minds but the planet doesn't care and it will carry on regardless... most probably and more so preferably without us. I sadly believe that humanity will be/already is responsible for the next global extinction event and it would be egotistical to think that any individual action/s can prevent that, we can't even achieve a consensus on simple things like the shape of the earth let alone implement effective climate change policy, can you imagine trying to convince almost eight billion people that all they need is basic water, food and shelter without a catastrophic event to force our hands.

John U

MTB Precision
I don't mean to nit pick because I know that we are of similar minds but the planet doesn't care and it will carry on regardless... most probably and more so preferably without us. I sadly believe that humanity will be/already is responsible for the next global extinction event and it would be egotistical to think that any individual action/s can prevent that, we can't even achieve a consensus on simple things like the shape of the earth let alone implement effective climate change policy, can you imagine trying to convince almost eight billion people that all they need is basic water, food and shelter without a catastrophic event to force our hands.
Mate, I am buying what you’re selling. I think the more the human race does to combat the concentration of co2 in the atmosphere the longer we’ll be around. We’ve doomed a shitload of species. We shouldn’t expect a different outcome. We’re not that special, especially so if what we do devolves the condition we depend on.
I hope we’re not in the process of killing the host. The conditions on Venus would be a worst case scenario for earth. Not sure if global warming could make things that bad. Constant 500degreesC and acid rain.

John U

MTB Precision
Lol. True. Was consuming via completely reusable but had to travel home via pt to my shelter. I am sharing the shelter. Hopefully you noticed the fucking old carpet from completely renewable resources.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I did actually and I'm sure that's that same carpet that was in the cave while they were on the sixth prototype of the revolutionary invention that would later be know as the wheel.